1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 17th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

You're favorite/ least favorite character designs

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by galagr, Feb 17, 2014.

1. galagr

galagr Well-Known Member

I thought I'd create this thread so we could share the character designs we like or dislike. Which character do you think improved over the years? Which do you think got worse? There's one rule to this thread, however, and that is; no making fun of season one character designs. We know, the designs weren't the best. It was the first season. Give them a break.

I prefer the older design of Animal compared to the more recent rebuild. Back in the TMS days, I thought he was cuter, but also a bit scruffier looking. His head was round (or, that's what shape his hair made it look like), and his eyebrows were a bit more prominent. Nowadays, they have his head in more of a oval shape, and they gave him these HUGE bags under his eyes. Is he a drummer, or an insomniac? [​IMG]

Guh! If you ask me, this version of Animal will always be the winner.
    [​IMG]

2. muppetlover123

muppetlover123 Well-Known Member

I like Kermit and Piggy's designs the way they are now.

I also dont mind the new Fozzie build never have.

Also i know Constantine has only been built once but i love how similar they made him to Kermit.

I perfer pepe in his blue jacket with green shirt though.

Duke Remington likes this.
  3. Bridget

Bridget Well-Known Member

It could just be me... but I am not exactly a big fan of Floyd's new character design. But I think Piggy and Kermit have definitely improved over the years.

sofiasaldanha likes this.
  4. cjd874

cjd874 Well-Known Member

Favorite designs: Kermit circa 1977-1979 (seasons 2-4 of TMS), Fozzie circa 1978-1981 (seasons 3-5 of TMS), Gonzo from the Muppet Christmas Carol, and Miss Piggy from the Great Muppet Caper. I've always loved the designs of Uncle Deadly, Bunsen, Beaker, and the Electric Mayhem band as well.
    Least favorite designs: the current designs for Fozzie, Gonzo, Zoot, and Scooter. I'm not really a fan of the current designs of Bobo the Bear, Crazy Harry, Sam the Eagle, and Beauregard, either.

5. sofiasaldanha

sofiasaldanha Member

My favorite designs are Miss Piggy in season 5 and nowadays, Kermit and Fozzie.
    My least favorite design is Gonzo

6. charlietheowl

charlietheowl Well-Known Member

This isn't a design really, but I much prefer Dr. Teeth's The Muppet Show-era outfit to what he wears now. The rainbow vest is much cooler than the zebra-striped one.

[​IMG]

7. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I'm just going to say, whatever problems anyone has with the new Gonzo puppet, I think we can all agree that at least he doesn't look like this:

[​IMG]

As for my favorite personal Piggy? GMC era. She looked magnificent in that one... oddly enough sort of like Kristen Johnston back in the 90's.

No seriously. In any order watch GMC and an episode of Third Rock. You can't unsee the likeness.

Going off The Muppets, While I think Ernie and Bert look too perfect now, I really dislike the ugly first season versions of the characters with that ugly color scheme for Ernie's sweater and his flat head. While I don't mind how Bert looks like Squidward, when they decided to make him look friendlier and more expressive, that was a huge improvement.

8. mr3urious

mr3urious Well-Known Member

I really liked the short wavy perm Miss Piggy sported in Muppets Tonight.

Not too big of a fan of droopy-eyed Piggy as seen here.

9. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

The GMC builds of most of the characters were probably the best.

However, I absolutely dislike the Fozzie puppet that was used in the balloon opening, then later in the Movies and Rocky Mountain specials.

cahuenga likes this.
  10. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

We actually have this exact same thread for the SST Muppets' designs over the years.

http://www.muppetcentral.com/forum/threads/your-favorite-sst-muppet-design-through-the-years.38470/

11. gonzo77

gonzo77 New Member

oooooh! - thank you!! - been dying for someone else to notice this sort of stuff!!!
    Firstly I totally agree about animal - one of my favourites but the bags under the eyes?? - why??? - He looks hideous now compared to how he used to be.
    Like you said he looks like he really old and is on drugs.

Gonzo was horrible when he first came about but was perfect in the Great Muppet caper. Since the latest Disney film and especially in that queen parody video he is really ugly - colours wrong nose too big and his eyes look too dopey - with big eyelids - better being wide eyed like the one on my profile picture.

Fozzie looks ok but why do they hold him so low now - he is much taller than Kermit in everything the Muppets have done but in the two Disney films he seems really short - especially in the first scene of Muppets most wanted just before they sing "we're doing a sequel" - he is also a bit fluffy and his nose is not quite right.

For me Miss Piggy looked her best in the great Muppet caper and in the Muppet show Season 4 which we will probably never see on DVD.

I think Miss piggy looks great now but they must stop changing her hairstyle every ten minutes and for gods sake keep her trademark lavender gloves on. I think its her voice that really irritates me the most - I can do it closer to Frank Oz's voice than the new guy!

and one last thing - when Celine Dion was singing with her and was doing that warbling thing that Celine does at the end of the song I was dying for piggy to say something like "will you knock it off!" or "cool it!!" but she didn't. Piggy hates being upstaged - even if her singing is much better than it was in the 70s!!

She used to try and be sweet and then build up to getting annoyed when people mentioned pork or bacon or insulted her weight. Now she is a diva with a bad attitude from the offset which is not as much fun.

still rant over - just my opinion! - lol

heralde likes this.
  12. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

You couldn't be more spot on! :)

13. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Well-Known Member

I always thought Eric was spot on with Piggy's voice, but I agree with you about her attitude especially on Good Luck Charlie. Hopefully, she'll be a bit more loosened up in future projects.

Duke Remington likes this.
  14. Duke Remington

Duke Remington Well-Known Member

Enough with the off-putting pessimism!

It would've ruined the mood if that happened.

This I do agree with, however. We need to find out who's writing for her improperly these days.

15. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

It wouldn't have ruined anything. That is normal Piggy behavior. :)

16. Duke Remington

Duke Remington Well-Known Member

It so would have. End of story.

17. Muppet Master

Muppet Master Well-Known Member

For Gonzo, I like his post TMS to MCC era look best.

[​IMG]

He just looks calm and collected, but at the same time you know he is a wild manic, which is why I like it best. For Fozzie, I like his season 2 and 3 look the best, he is not too light, but not like he was in season 1, it just seems like a perfect moderation.
    [​IMG]

For Floyd Pepper, I think his season 2 look suits him best with his well known jacket, which he sadly stops wearing in season 5.

[​IMG]

For Sam the Eagle, I like his season 3 to MCC look, because his blue is much darker.
    [​IMG]

I will post more when I find more designs that I find are the best ones in my opinion.

cahuenga likes this.
  18. jobi71

jobi71 Active Member

I think the characters who have suffered the most with redesigns are Miss Piggy and Gonzo and to a lesser extent Fozzie and Animal. It makes sense. These are lead characters. The puppets are used a lot and they deteriorate. So they are rebuilt and a few tweaks are made. One tweak too many and you are off model. Also, I know that when Dave Goelz rebuilt Gonzo for season 2 of The Muppet Show he added a mechanism so he could open his eyes wide, so I suppose there could be a practical reason - we the fans are unaware of - that necessitates a change. As for designs I like I love Bunsen Honeydew for his simplicity at the other end of the spectrum I think Uncle Deadly is a beautiful puppet. Also I think the design of the original Anything Muppets on Sesame Street and the original Whatnots on The Muppet Show (say seasons 1 and 2) are awesome. So simple and yet so versatile.

19. Muppet Master

Muppet Master Well-Known Member

Most secondary characters are not really redesigned which is really cool in my opinion.