You're gonna love this one, Drtooth.

mr3urious

Reaction score
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/19/business/media/nickelodeon-resists-critics-of-food-ads.html?_r=0

The same yuppie parental groups that struck down Disney Channel's advertising of junk food are now attacking Nickelodeon, painting SpongeBob as an outlaw in the process.

However, Nick is sticking to its guns, and have pretty much stated that they and other TV networks have no business forcing broccoli down kids' throats (which I wholeheartedly agree with), and pointed out all the good they've done for children in the name of their health such as building playgrounds.

The word "responsibility" is apparently still a dirty word to these bozos. :rolleyes:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
This is perposterous! This has been blown WAY out of proportion! EVERYBODY knows that SpongeBob is an outlaw for dampening braincells, not shoving broccoli down kids' throats. :wink:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I could go into the same rant about how this is all a windmill crusade, and technically, every kid in the 80's by this logic would be far more obese than this generation supposedly is, and teenagers and certain groups of people, specifically below the poverty line are throwing the average off... not to mention "obesity" sounds like a sexy news term that means people 400 pounds and up, when it's really much lower...

but I'm going to say, I have respect for Nickelodeon once again. Other than the fact they've done a very good job with TMNT that is.

Let's face it. Spongebob works at a fast food restaurant, and is not only happy to work there, but extols the values of Krabby Patties to basically god like levels. They turned a brainwashed Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy good again. If that's not promoting unhealthy food, I don't know what is. I'm absolutely shocked these guys aren't complaining about that. I remember someone complaining about Mr. Meaty taking place in one, and that stuff is far from appetizing. Mr. Meaty was more "This is a dead end job teenagers wind up getting to go full circle to having to come back after college." There's a little of that in Squidward, sure, but Spongebob is in freaking heaven. So basically, complaining about seasonal candies, ice bars (that are actually better for you than ice cream... they've very low cal), a cereal he no longer has and the occasional fast food promo... yeah, he works at a fast food restaurant like it's his religion... we've already passed the point where whining about junk food is already lost.

Then again, I HATE how Nick markets Spongebob towards preschoolers. It's not a preschool show. Squidward mentions suicide numerous times, there's Looney Tunes style explosions, Plankton and Mr. Krabs keep switching off on sociopath tendencies... there's just... hold on... http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Radar/SpongeBobSquarePants yeah... have the preschoolers watch Sesame Street. They want a cute squeaky guy bouncing around, they can have Elmo. I'm actually a big Spongebob fan, and I'm sick of it being Flanderized into a preschool friendly program, vs the standard wacky Nicktoon fare.

mr3urious

Reaction score
but I'm going to say, I have respect for Nickelodeon once again. Other than the fact they've done a very good job with TMNT that is.
Disney, on the other hand, has pretty much agreed to phase out junk food ads only to shut the soccer moms up, not because they sincerely believe in kids' health.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Disney, on the other hand, has pretty much agreed to phase out junk food ads only to shut the soccer moms up, not because they sincerely believe in kids' health.
Disney is weak. I'm sorry but Subway?! Their sandwiches are only healthy if you don't add condiments, cheese, or eat anything that isn't plain turkey with a crapload of lettuce on it. I miss Marvel fast food promotions. That, and the fact Marvel refuses to publish Disney comics that aren't movie tie ins are the only thing I actually hate about the Marvel buyout.

But the thing is, while junkfood ads are the sad thing that actually pays for children's television, Disney doesn't exactly need them since they probably get enough from the merchandise they make off the TV shows to warrant them airing the shows in the first place.

Now where's my Gravity Falls toys?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Subway sandwiches are gross. Their breads are like foam, their meats are slimey, the toppings have a really odd taste, and the whole place has a funky aroma when you walk in.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Try eating Subway twice a week for an entire semester because it was close to one of your classes and easy to get. Yeah...the thought of Subway now makes me sick. And really, I almost always had a stomach ache after eating one. Don't know what that was all about. *shrugs* Either way there are better places to get sandwiches around here.

Drtooth

Reaction score
South Park was right about Subway and Jarred. Let's leave it at that.

I tell you, it sucks to be a Happy Meal/Fast Food toy collector when the field of licenses shrinks. Heck, McDonalds is the only one with good prizes anymore. Burger King's licenses have gotten so bad, they're doing freaking Goodtimes style Jungle Book movie promotions.