1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 17th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

You're Just Lucky SpongeBob's Not On.

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by Super Scooter, Dec 18, 2002.

1. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

Did anyone else notice that SpongeBob SquarePants was on during It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas? (I mean, not that it really matters, would have watched Muppets anyway)

2. Salmoto

Salmoto New Member

Well Spongebob's on too much anyway. There must be only 15 episodes and yet, one can only take so much "Lah-Lah-LAAAH-Lah-Lah..."

3. EmmyMik

EmmyMik New Member

I'm the only person in my family who has not seen this show.

I am rather proud of that.

4. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

Count me in to! The commercials and endless product is enough for me. How Spongebob Poo pants some how seeped into the collective mass merchandise and viewing culture of America is beyond me.

(If only Invader Zim had a third of the product and visibility that wretched show has)

5. Gonzo

Gonzo Active Member

I've never seen it either!

And that's okay.

Quinnnnnnnnnnnn
    '

6. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Actually.. I do like Spongebob.. I'm a huge fan of STUUUUPID cartoon shows. (By stupid I mean, stupid humor, just not something saccarine sweet like Dragontales).

I mean, the humor of the whole thing is watching Squidword squirm....

But besdies that, I think this wasn't a Spongebob bashing post as much as an irony post.

I wish I could see Invader Zim... I am DYING to see that... looks cool! I have no cable, so...

7. punkNpuppets

punkNpuppets New Member

Spongebob kicks a--!!!!!

8. trekkie1701E

trekkie1701E New Member

SPONGEBOB is my second fav NickToon still currently on (The first is HEY ARNOLD, hands down!).
    I just love cartoons, no matter how juvenile they are (Hey ... I still find ARTHUR to be a good show, okay? :) ). The animation is probably the only thing that'll turn me off of a cartoon. I am not a fan of anime (Dragonball Z, especially. Those drawings are just "TOO" crude for me), and the style of animation used in Cartoon Network's original series -- and FAIRLY ODD PARENTS on Nick -- isn't my cup of tea. FOP and DEXTER"S LABORATORY are good for, say, the first ten minutes.
    After that, I usually either leave the room or switch stations.

9. Gonzo14

Gonzo14 Well-Known Member

Spongebob's the # 1 Nick Toon in my book

10. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

Cory

Spongebob is a wonderful show. It is misguided to compare it with Zim or hold anything against the spongy one because the project received more support from Nick. It's a good show on its own merit and people respond to it. That's why it's promotied so much. That's how entertainment works. I think it does air a little too often, but I don't really watch Nick so it doens't matter to me.

It's a shame that Zim doesn't get the same sort of respect, but the public hasn't responed to it in the same way. It's just a good show on the wrong network. Daytime Nick is kids territory and the show speaks more to teens and adults. Spongebob speaks to everyone. It's a different sort of show. The two really shouldn't be compared. Apples and Oranges...and what sounds a bit like sour grapes. :) I wish Zim would have been released the right way, but that's not the sponge's fault.

To my knowlege there are over 60 episodes of Spongebob out there. That's pretty good for a relatively new cable cartoon show.

11. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

Re: Cory

Jamie, and you were clownin' on anime? Yeeesh.
    Yeah, Viacom screwed up. They should have put Invader Zim on
    MTV. sad sad sad move. ALmost as bad as JHC selling out to MTV...I mean EMpTyV.

12. trekkie1701E

trekkie1701E New Member

<B>To my knowlege there are over 60 episodes of Spongebob out there. That's pretty good for a relatively new cable cartoon show</B>
    I hope this isn't a sign that SPONGEBOB is morphing into RUGRATS. Although, it was never a "great" show, it used to be fairly enteraining for "all" kids, both young and old.
    Now, the show might as well be on NICK JR.

13. trekkie1701E

trekkie1701E New Member

RUGRATS used to be fairly entertaining, I mean.

14. Fiery Princess

Fiery Princess New Member

The best thing about SpongeBob is his pet snail, Gary. MEOW!!! (How cute!)

15. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

Cory

Spongebob is a feel good thoroughly entertaining show with colorful characters, good writers and loads of personality and heart. It's not a sigificane milestone in entertainment, but it is a solid show.

Anime has none of that from what I have seen. Spirited might change my mind. We'll see. Just seems like stuff for teenage boys who can't get dates. (I don't fall in that category) ;) One has nothing to do with the other. With your logic, in order to appreciate one thing you have to hate another. Doesn't make sense.

I like things with heart and for being what they are - not what they are not. I can like both Shrek and Monsters Inc. One doesn't have to cancel out the other.

16. sarah_yzma

sarah_yzma Active Member

Yeah...i enjoyed both of those....anything with a good storyline! it's gotta have some humor in there too, otherwise it just isn't worth it...the new disney/pixar coming out next year, Finding Nemo, looks like a good movie!

17. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

I aint gonna lie, that's me!

Anyways, it's just amusing what you like and don't like for various reasons...

and a "feel good thoroughly entertaining show with colorful characters"...let me get my pink bow and bonet!

18. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

Re: Re: Cory

Um...are you supposed to be Mrs. Pac Man? That's an example of bad animation. Do you remeber the show about the Rubic's Cube too? LOL!

19. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Re: Cory

In that case let me get my rolled up sleeves and skinny tie^_^
    Yeah, I recall a number of early 80's video game cartoons: Pacman, Donkey Kong, Kangaroo, Pitfall, and a couple others I can't remember.

It's all about the rubiux cube yo!

Btw, is it me or does Spongebob dress like he's from a SS youth camp circa 1939?(And we aint talking Sesame Street)

20. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

Saw an ALF shirt the other day, Alf's standing in front of a counter and says "Sponge's s*uck!" (don't know if that's an okay word to use or not) and he's scrubing the counter with SpongeBob! That was hilarious!

Oh, I like SpongeBob too.