1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

You've GOT to remember this!

Discussion in 'Classic Sesame Street' started by ErnieImitator, Jul 15, 2006.

1. ErnieImitator

ErnieImitator New Member

There was one film:

(all the actors were African-American)

It started with a woman sleeping with wind chimes in the room.

Pan to an adjoining room where a little boy is pretending to be an airplane, making reeeeeeeeee reeeeee sounds and extnding his arms. In the same room, a teenage male is practicing (It think, Brahms' Lullaby) on a trumpet. Outside, form the window, one can see a man on a lawnmower and, i think, another man with a chainsaw. I believe it ended with more "kid airplane" noises.
  2. Cookie fan

Cookie fan New Member

Yup, sure remember that one. I think its on youtube if I'm not mistaken. Very abstract clip, probably late 70's-early 80's.
  3. ErnieImitator

ErnieImitator New Member

Yeah! What the **** was it trying to teach?!
    Sesame Skates likes this.
  4. ErnieImitator

ErnieImitator New Member

By the way, I think the one on Youtube you're thinking about is the 70's version, with the violinist, woman vacumming, and female teen listening to the radio. I'm talking about the 80's one.
    Sesame Skates likes this.
  5. Cookie fan

Cookie fan New Member

Your guess is as good as mine. A little weird for me, especially the boy sounded when he stopped making that airplane noise- sounded like he got a pot on the head.
  6. ErnieImitator

ErnieImitator New Member

Well, this one IS on youtube.
  7. Cookie fan

Cookie fan New Member

Oh...Ok, was'nt aware there were 2 versions.
  8. superboober

superboober Member

So they were made in different decades? The picture qualities seemed similar as best I can recall (although I was 4 at the time, the young woman listening to the record is the "city" version was my very first crush on a woman; I wonder what she's doing now?)

And the ending of the "country" version we've been talking about here, or at least the zenith of the sounds getting louder, was a motorcycle rider getting up on his bike, revving the engine hard, and tearing off screen to give the loudest sound of the group, to straighten it out further
  9. mikebennidict

mikebennidict New Member

I think they were both made in the 80s. The quality of both films are simaler and I don't recall seeing either of them in the 70s.
  10. PiLfan

PiLfan Member

i think they were intended to teach the progression of sound from soft(est) to loud(est)...or something like that.
  11. Dil

Dil Guest

Well, you've got to know about the Number Raps, no?

When I was a young child, I was think there would be a #20 Rap, but I think it was only a dream.
  12. Dil

Dil Guest

I'm patient, it's just that I need somebody to answer that post:

13. Cookie fan

Cookie fan New Member

I remember those cool raps, I think they're still being played on Sesame Street today. I used to look forward to the "longer" raps ( you know, from the number 15 onward) because the beats were very awesome. But the "longest" rap I've seen was the number 19.
  14. Here is how it went.

Sounds Around the House 1: A dripping faucet, A man practicing a violin, A woman vacuuming the carpet, A teenage girl listening to the radio, and a subway train rolls by.

Sounds Around the House 2: Wind chimes, A woman snoring, A young boy pretending to be an airplane, a teenage boy practicing his trumpet, And a man on the motorcycle.

I remember these 2 films.
  15. JLG

JLG Member

I LOVE THAT ONE.
    To me it's kind of a perfect embodiment of Sesame Street at its strangest, an example of how surreal and eerie the show could be in some of its stranger, darker corners.
    If I'm ever watching that with someone and they asked "What the heck was THAT?", my answer would simply be, "That was Sesame Street!" ;)
    (A couple of years ago I was watching it with my dad, and his reaction was "Okayyyyyyyyy.....")

I see I'm not the only one who calls them "Sounds Around The House" (although I always thought of THIS one as #1, since I used to see it way more often as a kid in the mid/late 80s.)

I would think both are from the late 70s or very early 80s (look how the teenage girl is dressed). It's a pretty safe bet they were made at the same time.

People have been wondering what they were meant to be teaching, exactly. A lot of Sesame Street clips used to convey things that were more abstract than concrete. Right brain-ticklers, in a sense.
    I think if this thing had a point, it would roughly translate as "Hey kids........listen. Just listen." It seems to basically be about observation, and connecting what you hear to what you see. Going backwards through the sounds at the end, without seeing the things they're coming from, pushes the viewers to to remember what they saw before and connect what they're hearing to what they're remembering.
  16. dinoboy

dinoboy Member

I remember a rare one that I loved. It was animated and took place at night in the city. You hear an electric piano play a lullabye song. I thought that music was wonderful.
  17. Which one? The one I know of was the on where the sun sets and the moon rises and everyone says Good Night as the turn off their lights. And then the phone rings and the man says "Hello!" Follow by a screeching baby (possibly needed a diaper change). And then the moon yawns and says "Good Night!"