Z-zebu and K-kangaroo

matthewxel

Reaction score
Y'know the limerick skits?

Well, do any of you remember "Z-zebu?" It seems very rare.

It went like this:

"There once was an old zebu,__________
Who got an idea in his head.
He took out an old shoe,
3 socks and some glue,
And made a sandwich with
2 slices of bread."

But the only one out of all these limericks I do not recall was the one for K that featured a kangaroo in it.
I think it's another rare one just like Z-zebu as well.
Does anyone know how it went like? :concern: :confused:

Xerus

Reaction score
To answer your questions. The Zebu was from Zagred. And here's how the Kangaroo poem went.

A Kangaroo from Timbuktu went to the park for a barbecue.
He put on a bib, chewed on a rib, and hopped off to Kalamazoo.

Xerus

Reaction score
matthewxel said:
How come I've never seen K-kangaroo? :concern: Wierd.......
That's a good question. I've noticed they haven't showed those old letter limmericks anymore these days.

And have you noticed they only did those for the consonants and not the vowels?

matthewxel

Reaction score
YEAH!!!:smile: They did those limerick skits for EVERY consonant except for X.

Gee, it would be funny if they had, X-xylophone and it would be instumental just like V-violin. :big_grin:

Xerus

Reaction score
matthewxel said:
YEAH!!!:smile: They did those limerick skits for EVERY constitant except for X.
Yes, they did do an X one. It went like this. First an X appearend and then the word EXIT. The announcer was a guy. Then an exit door appeared. Then a pig in a business suit said, "Okay, everyone out!" And all these animals like a goat, mouse, lion, elephant and many more, started walking out the exit singing, "Everyone out of the exit door. The exit door. The exit door. Everyone out of the exit door!"
And the pig said. "And please, don't let it slam!" The door ended up slamming and the word EXIT disappeared from the sign. But then the X faded back in along with the EXIT.

matthewxel

Reaction score
Now that I've never ever seen!!! :cool:

But some how that sounds kind of familar.

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
There were some consonant sound segments that had no limericks involved.
Among them include:

C for Cat (illustrating different cats based on color or emotion, I believe)
F for Face (illustrating different emotions in faces)
J for Jaguar (twelve square-shaoed puzzle pieces fading in one by one)
N for Nose (illustrating different types of noses)
Q for Quarter (things that 25 cents could buy back in the day)
V for Violin (A musician aggressively playing a tune until the strings bust)
X in EXIT (animals exit a room singing a parody of "Here We Go Round the Mulberry Bush")

The "N" segment was the last consonant sound segment, and the last letter segment from the 1970s, to ever air on first-run Sesame Street, having aired in 2006.

I really think "Z for Zebu" was underplayed, but considering the thread was created way back in May 2004, Muppet Wiki has information on all of the episodes from Seasons 10 through 13, and all of the 1990s is complete, so there may be a chance that Z for Zebu and K for Kangaroo limericks were shown more heavily during the late 1970s and early 1980s.

I would like to ask, what was the most aired consonant sound segment in the series? I believe "D for Dog" was shown a lot

Last edited:

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
I really think "Z for Zebu" was underplayed, but considering the thread was created way back in May 2004, Muppet Wiki has information on all of the episodes from Seasons 10 through 13, and all of the 1990s is complete, so there may be a chance that Z for Zebu and K for Kangaroo limericks were shown more heavily during the late 1970s and early 1980s.

They had a chance to show these segments on the Unpaved broadcasts (The Season 15 premiere originally had "K for Kangaroo", and I believe the first episode of 1983 had "Z for Zebu"), but for some reason they were edited out. I also noticed "Y for Yak" on Episode 2404 was edited out of the Noggin broadcast.

I am sensing a pattern, and it seemed as if many of the consonant sound segments were edited out of Noggin broadcasts. Possible rights issues with Jeff Hale, perhaps?

If any of these segments would be politically incorrect these days, Q for Quarter (consonant sound, not the Casey Kasem segment) would not be shown these days because of inflation. What a quarter could buy that was mentioned, you probably need a one-dollar bill (or in Canada, a one dollar coin) to buy nowadays, or maybe even a five-dollar bill (or two-dollar coin in Canada).

Last edited: