Zoe's Pet Rock

Censored

Reaction score
I was really surprised when I first saw that a modern Sesame Street character had a pet rock. The Pet Rock was really all the rage for a brief time in the 70's, but then quickly went out of style and is viewed as something really weird today. As much as Sesame Workshop worries about staying up to date, who would have thought that they'd feature something that was a huge fad in the 1970'? Not that I'm complaining; I find it kind of refreshing to see a blast from my past. :smile:

BEAR

Reaction score
I see what you are saying but it may not be too weird. Kids come up with silly things like that all the time. I am kinda seeing Zoe now as a kid whose parents won't let her have a real pet right now, so she has to carry out a fantasy of having a pet rock. Something that isn't actually alive.

Censored

Reaction score
BEAR said:
I see what you are saying but it may not be too weird. Kids come up with silly things like that all the time. I am kinda seeing Zoe now as a kid whose parents won't let her have a real pet right now, so she has to carry out a fantasy of having a pet rock. Something that isn't actually alive.
No, it's not weird in itself for a child to pretend something like that; I was just surprised that the writers at Sesame Workshop would have something that was so linked to the 1970's.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Well, Zoe wasn't the first to have a pet rock. I remember years ago, Bert sang a song about his pet rock. He must have been the one to get her into it. Lol.

Rosewood

Reaction score
Boy, I sure hope my kid's never want a pet rock!

And not for the reason you guys might think. You see my husband and I do lapidary work (cutting and polishing rocks). We have so many different kinds of rocks around our house we'd have a ZOO on our hands in no time! (LOL!):stick_out_tongue:

abiraniriba

Reaction score
Elmo On Rocko

Elmo wants to get in on this. Frankly, Elmo has never understood Zoe's pet rock Rocko. Rocko is just a rock but it drives me crazy. She plays with the rock more than Elmo. Elmo is tired of hearing about that rock.

F

furryredmonster

Yea... Kids at one point have imaginary friends or anything like that so Elmo and Zoe are there with the kids because they are just like them!

Censored

Reaction score
I'm beginning to fear that I'm the only one on this thread old enough to remember what a 70's icon the pet rock was. :sleep: :eek: :smile:

Rosewood

Reaction score
I always find it interesting that, while almost all the main characters have "pets" of some sort (i.e. - Telly:ChuckySue, Elmo: Dorothy, Baby Bear: parrot, Zoe:Rocko), Zoe is the only one who simply insists that her pet be treated by everyone else as if it were the same as a human. Granted, Elmo sometimes pushes it with Dorothy, too. But I have never seen anyone but Zoe demand that her pet be given things the same as her, such as a seperate turn on the swing, a seperate turn when she plays with Elmo, and even a cookie of his own at hoopers store! I will admitt, this is one time I'm on Elmo's side (holey cow! The end of the world must be near! :wink:)! Honestly, though, if it ever got to the point that my "best friend" started to show they had more feelings for a rock than they did for me, I think I'd start looking for a new best friend!