Kermit name origin

muppetperson

Reaction score
And Muppet Kermit was named after one of Jim Henson's childhood
friends, not the Sesame Street puppet builder(Kermit love) as most people think.

David French

Reaction score
And Muppet Kermit was named after one of Jim Henson's childhood
friends, not the Sesame Street puppet builder(Kermit love) as most people think.
Actually *both* of those are myths. The exact reason why Jim gave his most famous Muppet that name are not entirely clear. Read the entry on Muppet Wiki for more info.

muppetperson

Reaction score
Jim did have a friend named Kermit and they played on the Banks of the Mississipi.I am sure the Childhood museum in mississipi have said that Kermit was named after him.I am more enclined to beleive the Museum, backed by the Jim Henson Foundation, than Muppet Wiki,which is eddited by Fans.

Aleal

Reaction score
http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Kermit's_Name

For the record, it's not a matter of believing Muppet Wiki editors (I'm one of them, but over the two years of the Wiki's growth and development, we take our work seriously and try to scrupulously source these kinds of things, never settling for fan speculation and trying to correct or qualify such as soon as it occurs), but Henson archivist Karen Falk, who is quoted in full from the defunct Ask Henson column as doubting the popular story, and claiming Jim himself insisted that he didn't name the frog after his friend (though for myself, I suspect it may have at least been an influence), noting that Kermit was actually far more commonplace as a name then (I think the fame of the frog ironically assisted in its decline, since few people want their kids to be mocked because they share a name which is now almost wholly associated with a Muppet; also why Grover is less common these days). And all in all, she's more of an expert than the museum people. At this point, it's down to what people choose to believe, really. And it makes a better story for an exhibit than saying "Jim had a friend who may or may not have inspired Kermit's name, we're not entirely certain" (which is really where it stands; the Kermit Love story is provably false, the other one is in the middle).

Aleal

Reaction score
One more clarification. Jim's friend was Theodore Kermit Scott, and there's no evidence he went by Kermit, but it's probable Jim was at least vaguely aware of the middle name. If it were the first name, I think I'd feel certain it couldn't have been a coincidence, but for a middle name, like I said, it's a "maybe, maybe not" deal.

And for a final bit of confusion, on "Sam and Friends," the puppet commonly known as Chicken Liver was sometimes referred to as Theodore.

peyjenk

Reaction score
Ms. Falk's answer makes the most sense to this lowly Muppet fan. As a writer, I collect names everywhere I go, and sometimes a name that really has a nice sound sticks in my head. I can easily believe that Jim knew "Kermit" from his friend Theodore and when he needed a good name for a character, BAM. It was there.

Very rarely does anyone set out to base a character's name or personality on someone specific. The people, places, and things in our everyday life usually just percolate in our brains until creativity bubbles to the surface.

AJS

Reaction score
Kermit name reality

Theodore Kermit Scott was a childhood friend of Jim Henson. They used to go fishing down on Deer Creek in Leland Miss. where they both grew up. Theodore Kermit Scott was named after his father who was also the mayor in Leland Miss for many years. His father (my grandfather) went by the name T.K. or Theo. My father always went by the name Kermit.

While it is true that Kermit the Frog was named after my father, Jim Henson did not contact my father after making this fact public, nor did his family upon his death.

Kermit Scott did go on to become a philosophy professor (teaching at Purdue University for 36 years). He was also an advocate for the poor, later getting his social work degree and entering into the counseling field before dying May 26, 2008.

Visit Leland Mississippi and you will find the Kermit the Frog museum right along Deer Creek and right down the road from my father's family home.

So, let the truth be known...Kermit the frog was named after Kermit Scott and as his child it was always a fun story to tell.

lasproles

Reaction score
Kermit name reality

Hi, Mr. Scott,

I am so glad you posted on here and let people know the truth about how Kermit the Frog got his name and his sweet, endearing personality!

My husband and I knew your mom and dad from Mascouten in W. Laf. Your dad helped us tremendously and we've really missed his knowledge and advice since he retired. He was so much more than just a counselor to us, he was our friend. Both your parents are such wonderful, genuine, loving and giving people and we are so blessed to have known them. You don't meet many people like them, they are truly special.

We are completely heartbroken and in shock to learn of Kermit's death. We are so sorry for you and your family's loss.

I sent your mom an email. But in case I don't have their correct email anymore, please tell her that Bob and Leigh Ann said, "Hi" and we send our love, thoughts, and prayers to her and your whole family. She can email me through my email address on this site, if she wants to. Thank you!

God Bless,

Leigh Ann