For Crying Out Loud, What is Wrong With You People?

robodog

Reaction score
For some of us streaming video isn't really an option right now. I live out in the middle of nowhere. We can't get broadband or Wi Fi. What we have is Hughes net satellite Internet . It's great for surfing the net, but you can't download movies or videos without hitting a bandwidth cap fairly quickly. If you hit that cap it slows your connection down to sub dial up speeds for 24 hours. There's a period in the middle of the night from about 3 AM to 6 or 7 where you can download as much as you want but that's basically there so people can download updates to their computer. It sucks, but it's either this or Dial up. And Dial up is pretty much useless these days.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
For some of us streaming video isn't really an option right now. I live out in the middle of nowhere. We can't get broadband or Wi Fi. What we have is Hughes net satellite Internet . It's great for surfing the net, but you can't download movies or videos without hitting a bandwidth cap fairly quickly. If you hit that cap it slows your connection down to sub dial up speeds for 24 hours. There's a period in the middle of the night from about 3 AM to 6 or 7 where you can download as much as you want but that's basically there so people can download updates to their computer. It sucks, but it's either this or Dial up. And Dial up is pretty much useless these days.
I feel your pain. Our area wasn't wired for high speed internet up until May of this year. We have ATT U-Verse, since it's the only option we have. Honestly, I love the speeds and despite me being a gamer having to constantly download updates for my ps3, and streaming movies, we have yet to hit our bandwidth cap, though it IS still a concern. We get 250 gigs of bandwidth a month and its 10 dollars per 50 gigs you go over, so that's not all that crazy.

But we can stream netflix with no buffering on good days. Bad days youtube won't even load unless I set it to the lowest quality

Drtooth

Reaction score
That technology is still in its infancy. High Speed internet has to hit every area and have a very affordable price range (none of this 99 bucks a month crap) for digital downloads and streaming to replace anything. it's coming, sure... it just needs to clear that hurdle.

But then, like Yorick said, there's clearly going to be licenses and rights to get things digitally available. We're going to be stuck asking for rights to something all over again after it finally got to DVD just now. Earthworm Jim just came out a couple months ago. I've been waiting quite impatiently for that one.

robodog

Reaction score
I wasn't aware Earthworm Jim was available on DVD. I'd almost be afraid to watch it again in case it wasn't as good as I remember.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
That technology is still in its infancy. High Speed internet has to hit every area and have a very affordable price range (none of this 99 bucks a month crap) for digital downloads and streaming to replace anything. it's coming, sure... it just needs to clear that hurdle.
Actually, for 18 mbps download speed, we pay 60. But Hughes Net is an absolute rip off and I feel very bad for people who have to resort to it :frown:

robodog

Reaction score
Hughes net is kind of a ripoff. We pay $80 a month for it and as I said you can't really watch videos or anything. The only reason they can charge so much and provide so little is because for a lot of people they're the only game in town.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I wasn't aware Earthworm Jim was available on DVD. I'd almost be afraid to watch it again in case it wasn't as good as I remember.
You're going to have to order it on amazon. I think maybe even from Canada. I was fortunate to have asked for it and received it for Christmas, and watched the Christmas episode almost immediately. Show still holds up very well, but most things do in my opinion. I highly recommend purchase. Any time it pops up on Youtube, NBC makes darn sure that it doesn't stay their long. Plus it's got the rare second season included. Just no special features.

But it took FOREVER to hit DVD due to the multiple rights.

AquaGGR

Reaction score
Some companies don't seem to be following the "Only Blu-Ray gets the bonus features" thing happening. The complete first and second seasons of Regular Show have been released together (as one) with tons on bonus features on DVD. (the Blu-Ray and the DVD versions have the exact same bonus features!). This might be a step in the right direction... :big_grin: