What year did it all change for the worst?

mbmfrog

Reaction score
Woah...there was no Avengers promotion for the movie ?!? :eek:

Yet, Hardees gets the Amazing Spider-man movie. :grouchy:

BuddyBoy600alt

Reaction score
BTW, In 2005, There was a rumor that they should banned Cookie Monster and replace him with Veggie Monster. And it reminds of the sketch where Cookie Monster had a nightmare about the giant talking "Monster Cookie".

Drtooth

Reaction score
Woah...there was no Avengers promotion for the movie ?!? :eek:
Money, thrown away. If it isn't Disney's fault, BK's kid's meals are absolute garbage now. I saw a kid get a nondescript softball with no characters of any kind on them.

But that's another rant for another time. I know McD's absolutely refuses to do PG-13 movie tie ins. At least, after Batman Returns. That's why the other Batman movies didn't get anything over there, but we got Lego Batman instead.

BTW, In 2005, There was a rumor that they should banned Cookie Monster and replace him with Veggie Monster. And it reminds of the sketch where Cookie Monster had a nightmare about the giant talking "Monster Cookie".
.... you really like that skit, don't you?

BuddyBoy600alt

Reaction score
Money, thrown away. If it isn't Disney's fault, BK's kid's meals are absolute garbage now. I saw a kid get a nondescript softball with no characters of any kind on them.

But that's another rant for another time. I know McD's absolutely refuses to do PG-13 movie tie ins. At least, after Batman Returns. That's why the other Batman movies didn't get anything over there, but we got Lego Batman instead.

.... you really like that skit, don't you?
Well, In a sense I uploaded it on Youtube and the skit was actually introduced in Season 24 (1992-1993).

Drtooth

Reaction score
Just wondering... was the Veggie Monster debacle supposed to cause a panic that would have had people frantically tuning in to see if it was true? Cuz I don't think it worked.

That was the ONLY thing that they had going for them when that came out.

Erine81981

Reaction score
Here's my two cents. On when it changed for me was around the 90's. I was born around 81' i would say that the 90's were my favorites but still enjoy some late 80's shows. I believe it was around 1997 when i stopped watching. It wasn't till season 34 (2003) that i started watching the show again.

I kinda understand where everyone is coming from when Jim Henson and Joe Roposo passed a few years apart. I would have to say that some changes of the show would be becuase of Jim and Joe's passing. Same with Jon Stone and others too. I too wonder would the show still be like it is if Jim hadn't passed away? Yes on occasion. I think (like anyone else has said) that if Jim was still here we would be getting Kermit, Guy Smiley, Ernie and some anything monsters or anything muppets insterts, songs or street scenes.

I for one didn't mind all the changes around the 90's. Loved the Around The Corner because it gave the street a bigger street scenes. Loved Telly Monster, Ruby Monster, Rostia, Chicago the Lion, Merry Monster, Baby Bear, Zoe, Roxie Marie and many other characters through out the sseires of the 90's. I'm more of an 80's baby but i do remember several episodes from the 80's and 90's then i do any of the newer episodes.

Twisted Tails

Reaction score
I loved the '90s Sesame Street too. Jerry's, Martin's and others were around. Even though Jim and Richard passed on, the 90's were the best of SS. I would say after 2000, I definetely stopped watching SS.

Does anyone know this video?

To be honest, as a young girl, Herry Monster scared me... eeeeeeeee... you know what I meant by being scared of him. Now I realized maybe he scared me because he's clumsy and knocks over objects or stuff to scare me away.

Like I said, the 1990s to me were the best before it got wastelandish and... blech... bad.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I've said it before and I'll say it again, Sesame Street has gradually lost momentum ever since Jim died.

The Muppets were the core of the show, and he was the rudder that steered the ship. Without a rudder, the only direction you ship can go in is circles.

Since Jim's death, Sesame Workshop has had to compete with shows like Barney. This led to a gradual lowering of the show's viewing demographic, and the rise of the current format that stresses repetition and structure. Like clockwork, episodes opened with a street scene, a Letter of the Day segment, following a predictable formula, and inevitably the last 15 minutes given over to Elmo. Before, the show, although thoroughly researched, did have that element of surprise, that you didn't know what the next segment was going to be. Those days are gone.

Can't blame the downturn of the show entirely on Elmo, but while Jim was alive, there was a balance and chemistry that worked. No one character, however popular, dominated or defined the show. By devoting at least 1/4 of the show's airtime to one character, the biggest expense was abandoning a number of characters could have kept that balance together.

I know some people have given me grief when I made this comment before, but Sesame Street could have stood as a the most powerful show in children's tv history if they wrapped it up after 20 seasons. (Maybe 30) From 1969-1989, 20 perfect seasons. Very little filler. But then again, if they stopped at 20, a thread like this wouldn't exist.

dinoboy

Reaction score
I always hated change. So When the street scenery changed, the classic fast motion short movies stopped playing, and the overal sillyness came to a halt. Now everything is all being healthy and serious, and they'll probably get cookie monster to stop eating cookies, Oscar the grouch to clean out his trash can. And maybe Bert and Ernie will be living in seperate apartments.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Now everything is all being healthy and serious, and they'll probably get cookie monster to stop eating cookies, Oscar the grouch to clean out his trash can. And maybe Bert and Ernie will be living in seperate apartments.
Jeez. Hey! We gotta round up Turkey Lurkey and Loosy Goosey and tell the king the sky is falling.

Seriously?

There are 3 things we commonly forget.

1. The show is pushing 45. How many shows have lasted so much as 10 seasons... 5 seasons without changing something? A show that's on longer than 5 years will get flack for changing or remaining the same. You can't win. Look at the Simpsons. It gets BOTH at the same time!
  2. Sesame Street was a show designed to adapt to changes in educational standards. In other words, it's a show that's designed to change with something that changes all too frequently, and often changes back when something's discredited.
  3. And I can't stress this enough... it's a preschool show. Unless you're a parent watching the show with your kids, you're well out of their demographic. They have made strides to release classic footage on their website and DVD, and sell nostalgia merchandise. That's a grand gesture, considering they don't need to give us anything.
Seriously... I absolutely love it when people panic over one skit that aired 6 years ago and suddenly the entire show changed all the character personalities, especially when it didn't. Sesame Street now officially has more footage of Cookie Monster decrying the Veggie Monster crap (their own fault for botching up the press release) than eating an actual veggie... even though they had that PSA all the way back in the 70's.
You know... back when the character was 5 years old?

I suppose now, Sherri Netherland can't own a hotel and Monty will only do Goon Show references. :rolleyes:

Sure, there's a lot of stuff I dislike about the show's direction. The insistence that every failing of America's educational system has to be their burden, and the constant reliance on "initiatives" that bludgeon the blunt end of the lesson into everyone's heads. Not every episode needs to be about engineering, and we don't need 3 exactly the same sketches in an episode about how a pulley works. I don't like how they have to make the show separate shows if their budget forces them to rerun the same not 26 episodes worth of footage 3 times per season as a minimum. That's something they should work on. And guess what? That will, like every other change on Sesame Street change back. Think about it this way. The longest hold out was Elmo's World. And even that's gone after 12 or so years. Nothing is permanent.