You Ever Notice...and What's the Deal...

AquaGGR

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
Maybe they're just fans of the old school, Genesis-era games and refuse to accept the current games as new (then again, I've never read those forums). I feel the old ones are the best but I still enjoy many of the more recent games (Sonic Colors, Sonic Generation).
The problem with the fanbase isn't that they dislike the new games, the real problem is that the majority of the fanbase is (from what I've seen) very hostile and arguementative, and can't distinguish opinions and facts.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
The Sonic fanbase is one of the nastiest, unpleaseable bunch of basement dwellers who have nothing better to do than to nitpick over the fact Sonic's eyes are green that call themselves 'fans.'

I mean my god most fan forums make you go through a trial period before either saying "yes we like you" or "screw off banhammer time." I was rejected from a sonic forum because oooo I disagreed with a staff member that graphics weren't the end all be all thing when it comes to video games. Buncha freaking elitists is what they are. And they wonder why everyone hates them.

Oh, and for the record, I LOVE Sonic and the Secret Rings and Sonic Heroes. And yet that is grounds for instant shunnage because how dare you see past the flaws a game has and have fun with it!

....I turned this into a rant I'm sorry. I really do love Sonic.

AquaGGR

Reaction score
Sgt Floyd said:
The Sonic fanbase is one of the nastiest, unpleaseable bunch of basement dwellers who have nothing better to do than to nitpick over the fact Sonic's eyes are green that call themselves 'fans.'
While most people say that's just a Sonic fan stereotype, it sadly is true.
Almost every thread on the official Sonic forum has at least one page of pointless arguing.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
There's an episode of South Park where Jimmy decides to have a comedy awards show, but none of the other kids at South Park feel a need for a comedy awards show and only come because the school actually requires it for some reason. And later several comedians are upset over the fact that there was one, thinking that comedy shouldn't be awarded. But why is this?

I feel comedies should get more award nominations and wins (well, I know that comedies often get emmy awards, and I think Golden Globe). I'm bothered by the fact that very few comedies get nominated for Oscars (the Best Animated Film being one of the few representations, and even then that category has less nominees than the average category).

And on another note, isn't it ironic how comedies get overlooked at the Oscar's, yet they are usually hosted by comedians and have plenty of comedy in the introductions and presentations?

Back to the South Park episode in question, since Jimmy was the only one who really wanted a comedy awards and (as far as I remember) they didn't exactly say if everybody had to vote, I wonder if Jimmy was the only one who voted (Jimmy won an award, he probably voted for himself, but what if he won because he was the only one who voted?). Of course Token seemed happy Tyler Perry won an award, so I guess he voted for Perry.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
I feel comedies should get more award nominations and wins (well, I know that comedies often get emmy awards, and I think Golden Globe). I'm bothered by the fact that very few comedies get nominated for Oscars (the Best Animated Film being one of the few representations, and even then that category has less nominees than the average category).
I think that critics tend to think that only "serious" movies are worth nominating for Best Picture, that the best film of the year shouldn't really make you laugh. Of course, these are the same people who thought Crash was worthy of an award, so perhaps they aren't the best authorities on the subject.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I think that critics tend to think that only "serious" movies are worth nominating for Best Picture, that the best film of the year shouldn't really make you laugh. Of course, these are the same people who thought Crash was worthy of an award, so perhaps they aren't the best authorities on the subject.

Are critics normally the only ones who nominate the films?

And on the subject of critics generally disliking comedies or at least stupid comedies (I wonder when the generation of respected film critics who like stupid movies will come) I wonder if the various That Guy with the Glasses critics really do hate a lot of the comedies their personaes hate or if it's always just an act because they are trying to be critics. Many of them are young and seem like the kind of people who'd like some of the things they review, and their works are presented as comedies. I think Doug Walker really does hate most of the "stupid" movies that The Nostalgia Critic hates, but does the same apply to everyone else on the site?

AquaGGR

Reaction score
You ever notice how most gamers tend to complain about videogames and overanalyze them instead of actually playing them? The game developers probably don't mind because they buy their games anyway so they can look for things to criticize.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
As far as criticizing goes, that's been kind of my complaint with Nostalgia Critic lately: I love NC, but it's like too many people actually take his word to heart, without actually seeing some of these movies and forming their own opinions on them, especially considering his reviews aren't really meant to be serious anyway, yet so many people take them seriously.

AquaGGR

Reaction score
D'Snowth said:
I love NC, but it's like too many people actually take his word to heart, without actually seeing some of these movies and forming their own opinions on them, especially considering his reviews aren't really meant to be serious anyway, yet so many people take them seriously.
I stopped taking most review websites seriously after I saw some very unprofessional and biased ones (GameInformer). I thought NC's reviews weren't meant to be taking seriously, too.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Ever notice how on Film Brain, the host goes by his real name, Mathew Buck, but in the That Guy with the Glasses anniversary specials, he is always called Film Brain?