What sketches scared you as a kid?

Mokeystar

Reaction score
Grover and the word "GROW". When it grew really big and exploded at the end, that was enough to scare the daylights out of me.
Actually, I remember it wasn't the "word" GROW, it was the capital letter G that grew and made a horrible croaking sound. I think the sound effects and the exploding at the end were edited out in later episodes. I recall seeing this on YouTube, and I think the sound effect was replaced with a different, more happy little tune.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Here's another I thought of.

Exploring in your closet - It didn't exactly "scare" me though the animation kinda weired me out when I was little.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
Actually, I remember it wasn't the "word" GROW, it was the capital letter G that grew and made a horrible croaking sound. I think the sound effects and the exploding at the end were edited out in later episodes. I recall seeing this on YouTube, and I think the sound effect was replaced with a different, more happy little tune.

No the scary sounds remained though they did add extra music.

I sued to hide whenever that skit aired.

Son of Enik

Reaction score
I'm not alone!!

Okay, since I’m an “old school-er”, these ones are all from the 70s. :smile:

1. Sammy the Snake (the one who looked and sounded like the letter “S”.) I still have a hard time watching Sammy. :smile:
2. The cartoon of the snake that talked about the “sound of the letter S”. You could only see his face during most of the clip, until the end when it’s revealed that he’s a snake.
3. David as a snake charmer (Is anyone seeing a snake trend here?) :smile:. He is sitting between two baskets while playing a wind instrument. As he plays, the number 12 comes squiggling out of each of the baskets, like they’re snakes. I mostly couldn’t STAND the creepy factor of this clip because the music was so weird and David was so serious….
4. As mentioned before, the Dragnet “W” clip. Don’t know what scared me…. I think it’s cool now.
5. The morphing face cartoon. The clip shows a face that changes with a creepy squeaking sound in the background.
6. Beautiful Day Monster. Like Sammy the Snake, he gave me nightmares for years. In my opinion, the clip with the “B” was the scariest thing ever on Sesame Street.
7. Grover and the word "GROW". When it grew really big and exploded at the end, that was enough to scare the daylights out of me.
Same thing with the imaginary balloon bursting at the end of that classic E and B clip.

A lot of other clips made me feel uneasy, but those are the few that really scared me.

You have made my day! I thought I was the only one scared of Sammy The Snake...thank you!! I agree with most of your picks...but Beautiful Day Monster didn't scare me for some reason. Anyway, thank you again, I don't feel so alone anymore!!

Soul H

Reaction score
Do you think their is a club that involves users scared of "Wet Paint" and also where is the club for "The Word Is No"?
Oh, I'm sorry I was using a figure of speech when I said "join the club".

Mokeystar

Reaction score
You have made my day! I thought I was the only one scared of Sammy The Snake...thank you!! I agree with most of your picks...but Beautiful Day Monster didn't scare me for some reason. Anyway, thank you again, I don't feel so alone anymore!!
Son of Enik (big hug), :smile: You are very welcome.
You are far from being alone. Several years ago, I was on a now defunct posting board. On the board, we had a whole thread about Sammy and people who were afraid of him as children. I remember one girl posted that when he came on, she'd run out of the room and hide in her closet...and just to be a big pain, her bro would turn up the volume full blast so she'd have to hear him!
My sisters would tease me about being afraid of him, but they never went that far. Nevertheless, I still couldn't stand watching that clip. When I was a kid, I used to think he lived in our garage and was waiting in the wings to spring out at me someday. Then my mom explained to me that he lived in New York on Sesame Street and couldn't possibly be living in our garage. :smile: That didn't help ease my fears a bit, but I've got to hand it to mom for at least trying.
I don't know what it is about him..... He wasn't blatantly scary looking, but he was definitely scary to me. So, embrace your fear of Sammy and know you're not alone. :wink:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I don't remember seeing Sammy the Snake as a kid, but when I watch him now I can see how he might have scared me. Personally I think what makes him kinda creepy for me is the dark background. I don't he would be as scary with a more colorful background. Of course, that couldn't really be helped, you had to hide the puppeteer (and those matted in backgrounds always looked so fake).

Son of Enik

Reaction score
I feel sooo much better!!

Mokeystar, you have made me feel better than you could possibly imagine. (big hug back!!) I used to have intense nightmares about Sammy when I was little or I would be dreaming of something nice and he would invade my dreams. My brothers and sister were scared of him as well, and I thought we were the only ones for years. (But only I am a member here, hence I didn't mention them before) I think it was the combination of the dark backgound, the mega-close up of his face as the song begins, and as I have stated before...I am deathly afraid of snakes and always have been anyway.
Again Mokeystar, thank you (Hugs again!) years of pain have been eased.

Mokeystar

Reaction score
Mokeystar, you have made me feel better than you could possibly imagine. (big hug back!!) I used to have intense nightmares about Sammy when I was little or I would be dreaming of something nice and he would invade my dreams. My brothers and sister were scared of him as well, and I thought we were the only ones for years. (But only I am a member here, hence I didn't mention them before) I think it was the combination of the dark backgound, the mega-close up of his face as the song begins, and as I have stated before...I am deathly afraid of snakes and always have been anyway.
Again Mokeystar, thank you (Hugs again!) years of pain have been eased.
You're welcome a zillion times over, Son of Enik. It's nice when you find someone who understands, innit? I'm so glad I made you feel better! You made me feel better, too.

I absolutely understand the Sammy nightmares, as I had them, also. I remember each one vividly, even though I dreamt them about 30 years ago. And I TOTALLY understand how the opening with the close up of his face scared you. And how the black background creeped you out. Another thing that creeped me was seeing the "sssssssss's" floating out of his mouth. Gaaaaah!:eek:

Well, I'm here any time you would like to purge your Sammy thoughts and nightmares from the past. :big_grin: My therapy sessions and hugs are always on the house. :smile: