What sketches scared you as a kid?

ISNorden

Reaction score
And now this is a completely true story. I couldn't make this up if I tried.
And Mokeystar will swear on a stack of bibles it's true:

Once when I was about three (1971) they showed the painter skit of Paul Benedict painting his 10 on the stool, etc. Then they showed the Nobody clip. Scared the be-jeezus out of me. So taking a cue from the painter, I went down to the basement and got a can of paint and painted over the tv screen so Nobody couldn't scare me any more.

I got to paint my own 10!:smile:
Believe it or not, my parents didn't punish me. They were just too stunned at my handiwork.

My offer still stands. I dare anyone to top that.
Holy [bleep]...and I thought my method for dealing with the scary stuff was extreme! (When something on Sesame Street bothered me enough, I'd fiddle with the controls until the picture disappeared.) Thank goodness your folks didn't take the set away for a few years after that paint job...

mikebennidict

Reaction score
It is so great to find someone else who understands...we'll be in touch, my friend. I am glad to have found you.
Why is it such a concern now? I mean I found myself scared of taht Kermit and BD skit myself and it has no effect on me today. Now I just laugh about it.

Son of Enik

Reaction score
Why is it such a concern now? I mean I found myself scared of taht Kermit and BD skit myself and it has no effect on me today. Now I just laugh about it.
It's a concern now, because I have lived for 34 years thinking me and my siblings were the only kids in the entire world scared of Sammy. I still get a case of the heebie-jeebies when I see him now, because psychologically it brings me back to the past, when the mere sight of that character whipped me into a fright-frenzy. So when I say to Mokeystar that I feel better, and that years of pain have been eased, it's beacuse I don't feel so alone anymore as I did for all those years. As with anything, it's nice to know you and someone else have shared a similar expirience.
And thank you fuzzygobo, I welcome your friendship too.

Mokeystar

Reaction score

Well Mike, the way I see it is most people who have posted on this particular thread have fears. Actually, most people in general have fears. Fear is a healthy human reaction.
The fears we’re talking about in this thread are derived from memories of Sesame Street, therefore, most people are referring to something (or somethings) from their childhood that they were afraid of….but probably aren’t now. The experience of seeing a scary Muppet or clip on Sesame Street is something that’s generally subsides as one gets older and likely forgets about what it was that used to freak them out. But in certain instances, the thing that freaks someone out may cause the person a lot of emotional trauma as a child, as discussed here with Sammy the Snake. Sometimes those fears that a person once had aren’t just “outgrown”, because the feelings of trauma are way too intense and don’t just disappear once someone has grown up. I’m happy you outgrew your fears, but please also understand that sometimes certain fears have a way of lingering with people of all ages, no matter how young or old they are. :wink:

Mokeystar

Reaction score
My offer still stands. I dare anyone to top that.
Yep, I think your story definitely tops my story of when my mom, who was trying desperately to get me over my fear of Beautiful Day Monster, pretended to chain him up and flush him down the toilet. :smile: Too bad she didn't do that with Sammy the Snake.....although he'd probably done a nice job cleaning the pipes!
All she did with Sammy was tell me that he lived too far away to even come near me. My imagination went into full tilt once I began imagining him getting on a plane, flying out to my city, and hailing a taxi cab to my house. "Oh, taxxxxxxi!" (Seriously, I wrote a story about this when I was a teenager.) :smile:

Could you imagine if we had been siblings? Between the Nobody paint and the other fears......I could imagine how crazy our parents would have been driven. :wink:

Mokeystar

Reaction score
It's a concern now, because I have lived for 34 years thinking me and my siblings were the only kids in the entire world scared of Sammy. I still get a case of the heebie-jeebies when I see him now, because psychologically it brings me back to the past, when the mere sight of that character whipped me into a fright-frenzy. So when I say to Mokeystar that I feel better, and that years of pain have been eased, it's beacuse I don't feel so alone anymore as I did for all those years. As with anything, it's nice to know you and someone else have shared a similar expirience.
And thank you fuzzygobo, I welcome your friendship too.

We're here for ya! :wink: (hug!)

Jyllian

Reaction score
a lot of them

there wree a LOT of scarey episodes, and i too, use to hide behind the couch..james earl jones and his low voice...those red dots. there is one where the dots freak out and go nuts, the one where Ernie cuts all of berts hair off., G, Gorrilla, and the gorilla screams real loud..the one about funny face, and the octopus,
another one , this guy was singing, "I wanna hold your eyes, i wanna hold your nose" to this girl puppet and was pulling off her eyes, ears , nose, etc..

I was afraid of the mysterious nose snatcher, and many more!
jyll

Convincing John

Reaction score
One day, I saw this clip with Kermit and Beautiful Day that involved the letter B and the sound it makes. At the end of this clip, Beautiful Day loudly exclaims a long, "BAAAAAAAAH!", and his voice blows Kermit off the set. Then, he turns to the camera, opens his eyes really wide, and says it again, right to you....."BAAAAHHHHHH!" This eventually causes the screen to fade to completely white. :smile:
Here's the clip on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wn2_RpTYe0w

Convincing John

Katzi428

Reaction score
WHOA!!! I'd never seen that"B" sketch w/Kermit & BDM before today.What were they thinking??:eek: