D'Snowth's Scale Model of Sesame Street

D'Snowth

Reaction score
After months of deliberation, I decided to give the tenement building a bit of a makeover:

Although I generally liked when Hooper's and the other shop has a uniformed look (like when both storefronts were orange for Season 38, or both had a metal facade from Seasons 39-45), the checkerboard tile and the neon sign kind of clashed with the rest of the store's more modern and contemporary look, so I took David Gallo's initiative and gave the rest of Hooper's a retro makeover. The only thing is I'm not 100% happy with how the awning turned out, so I may redo it later down the road.

That being said, one thing I am totally happy with was how I renovated the Arbor a few months ago (sorry the colors didn't get picked up well):

I completely redid the backdrop, this time separating it completely from the fence, leaving about 3/4-1 inch of space inbetween - now, I can easily change the trees (add to or take away) depending on seasons, since they were previously glued on the old backdrop (since the old backdrop was glued to the back of the fence).

Other than that, the rest of the street remains untouched.

One thing I'm excited about is I found a guy on Etsy who 3D prints accessories; I'm presently waiting to hear from him when he finishes a commission he's on the middle of so I can custom-order a new mailbox, newspaper vending machines, and a real fire hydrant!

Erine81981

Reaction score
Still love it! All The Way through. I wished I had that much patients to do it cause I would but I know either something would come up that would make me have to either stop for a while or even put it off till I could find more material for it but keep up the good work.

Me I would rather have it to where I could have the inside of the apartments and the stores and Big Bird's Nest area too just so I could put some figures with the set up. Thanks for sharing every time you either fix something on it or remold it.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
It is time-consuming, yes. Just the makeover I did on just that building took three and a half hours, nonstop. Probably would have been even longer had I not already worked on some of the smaller elements ahead of time.

And you can actually see Big Bird's nest area, it's just situated in a place where it's different to get a "ground-level" look of it since it's closed off, but here's what it looks like from above:

If the 3D printer on Etsy takes completely custom order, I'm going to see if he can do a residential/rural mailbox so Big Bird can finally have his.

Erine81981

Reaction score
I love it. Really nice touch on his nest area. Keep up the awesome work on it.
You should do a inside of Oscar's can. Yeah I know there's never been ever video or pics of the inside but there has been books that show what the inside just with a few things that aren't mentioned like in the show.

Erine81981

Reaction score
Or what about Charlie's Resturant or even Bob's, Gordon and Susan, Maria and Luis's apartment too or the inside of the Fix It Show or Hooper's? Just a few.....

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I did used to have additional miniatures years ago, such as Ernie and Bert's apartment, Gordon and Susan's apartment, Bob's apartment, Hooper's and even other places like Count's castle (from the old Number of the Day bits), Global Grover, Elmo's World, and even the park (not from ATC, mind you), but as the years went on and I found myself in need of cardboard for other things, they ended up being casualties, so none of them still exist.

Erine81981

Reaction score
I did used to have additional miniatures years ago, such as Ernie and Bert's apartment, Gordon and Susan's apartment, Bob's apartment, Hooper's and even other places like Count's castle (from the old Number of the Day bits), Global Grover, Elmo's World, and even the park (not from ATC, mind you), but as the years went on and I found myself in need of cardboard for other things, they ended up being casualties, so none of them still exist.
Awwwwww poor poor exhibits. Well I understand. There were several things I remembered that I had to tear down or use for other things. Wished I hadn't but things happen. Neat to know tho.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I just realized looking at it now, it kind of looks like Sesame Street started going through a gentrification process that they just gave up on by the time they reached Hooper's. Another reason why I sometimes contemplate making the rest of that building look like it did in the mid-to-late 80s like the rest of the model does just so the whole thing would have a uniform look to it . . . but then again, I like having some modern (and in this case, original) details to the model to give it some contemporary realism (again, one of the main reasons I actually liked the Mail-It Shop when it was around).

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
They added the Mail-It Shop to help modernize the street. But, I wonder if they brought back the Fix-It Shop later due to pressure from older fans. Because, as far as I can tell, the Mail-It Shop could've stayed for a long time, I don't think post offices are going anywhere any time soon.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Maybe not post offices, but the postal system is tanking big time what with emails, chats, social media, and things like that, they've have to make up for it by increasing stamp prices again, cutting hours for employees, and even launching a clothing line (yes, there's actually a USPS clothing line).

But it's ironic, because I was watching Episode 3984 the other day, and there was a line in the Mail-It Shop song where Luis sings, "I hope that it's here to stay." Not the case.

Whatever the case may be, Season 37 was an odd season for the street, not just bringing back the Fix-It Shop, but there were other major reversions as well, such as bringing back the older green staircase for the carriage house, painting the 123 doors green again, giving Big Bird actual doors again. . . .

ATC aside, it seems like since the 90s, they can't make up their minds about set changes - many of them last only a few years. Truth be told, I'm kind of surprised the Laundromat is still there, I figured it would be something else long by now.