What sketches scared you as a kid?

ISNorden

Reaction score
I don't know if I said this before, but one time I was watching SS, and they showed the episode's production title card (station Identification, used primarily to identify the episodes, if you're working at a TV station). It creeped me out, indeed. It also mentioned "Cold opening" and There was no mention of Cold in the opening sequence. of course, now I know that basically means the stuff they put on before the theme song.

Technically, a "cold opening" involves jumping straight into the show (at least partially) before the theme song/opening titles; for Sesame Street, that used to mean going partly into the first street scene.

Greedo

Reaction score
One that scared me was when Ernie and Bert were exploring this pyramid, and Ernie is frightened standing next to a mummy that looks oddly like him. Everytime Bert would leave Ernie, the mummy would poke or laugh at Ernie, and even dance with him. Ernie would scream for Bert to come and see the freaky statue, only for it to clam up. That was pertty scary, reminded me of my nightmares with walking chimnias.:eek:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Technically, a "cold opening" involves jumping straight into the show (at least partially) before the theme song/opening titles; for Sesame Street, that used to mean going partly into the first street scene.
Exactly what it is. But when I saw it, I thought the opening meant that it had something to do with "Cold." I think a woman's monotone voice gave that description.

I recall the title card very well, too. it had a cartoon drawing of Big Bird on it, and lots of plain text.

wiley207

Reaction score
One that scared me was when Ernie and Bert were exploring this pyramid, and Ernie is frightened standing next to a mummy that looks oddly like him. Everytime Bert would leave Ernie, the mummy would poke or laugh at Ernie, and even dance with him. Ernie would scream for Bert to come and see the freaky statue, only for it to clam up. That was pertty scary, reminded me of my nightmares with walking chimnias.:eek:
I think that segment was supposed to be a parody of those old Abbot and Costello horror films, like "Abbot and Costello Meet Frankenstein", with that bit with Ernie calling Bert when he's scared. I've seen the skit several times when I was little (we had it on "The Best of Ernie and Bert") and I wasn't afraid of it. I also remember watching the "Heeeere fishy fishy fishy fishy!" skit, and "I Don't Want to Live on the Moon" and "That's What Friends are For."

Drtooth

Reaction score
This didn't have puppets at all but it was on sesame street. It's a montage of weird toys and robots http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1Rhm7kp-tk
lots of the songs creeped me out like alphabet jungle as well but the song is this video haunts me

Not so much creeping me out, but the music they used always annoyed me. I think I liked it when I was really little, but I grew to not like this segment at all.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I'm PRETTY sure I remember seeing this and it definitely would have terrified me, lol. Toys always have that potential to be frightening, under the right light and shadow and all, hehe. That's the kind of horror I appreciate, making ordinary things look scary.

Actually this reminds me of the all the parts of The Christmas Toy that scared me, lol. (Though I am a big fan!)

EntropicOrgan

Reaction score
The sketch that scared me the most when I was a kid was definetly the 'Charlie Chaplin' style silent film sketches they did with Maria as Charlie Chaplin. I have no idea why it scared me, but it may have something to do with the paintings coming to life. My grandmother's house (for some odd reason) reminded me of those sketches, and for a long time, I was too afraid to walk in certain areas of the backyard.

thegiftoutright

Reaction score
Sketch with Bob - help!

Hi, all. I'm new to the forums and I would like to rack everyone's brains for a moment to ask:

Does anyone remember a sketch featuring Bob (and possibly Big Bird?) in which Bob is playing the flute (or a similar wind instrument) and he is wearing some sort of bird-like costume or hat/mask?

This clip used to absolutely terrify me as a child, for some reason. Something about the big, googly bird eyes on his hat/mask was deeply unsettling to me and I've been searching for a clip of it all over youtube for days! I wish I could remember more about it, but I haven't seen it since I was about 4 (I'm nearly 24 now).

Thanks in advance.