The State of Us & Our Things

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Nevertheless, it sums up people like ourselves perfectly: it's easier for us to be ourselves online - forums and fan sites bring like-minded people with similar interests together in a community atmosphere that doesn't really exist in real life.

You want to know what the sad, God-honest truth is? Virtually every friend I have in the world is online . . . I hardly have any real-life friends. Even when I was a kid in school, yeah, sure, I had a lot friends in elementary school, but by middle school, I think other kids found me too weird and too eccentric; the actual friends I had in middle school were few and far between, and I later in life learned that almost everyone else I associated with in middle school were actually acquaintances, and not real friends . . . I mean, I don't think a real friend would respond, "That's okay, we don't have to," when you ask them for their email addresses to stay in touch since you're going to different high schools. :smirk:

That being said, I really, really would like to meet my internet friends in real life. Kevin (Fozzie Bear) and I had an opportunity once a couple of years ago, but it didn't work out . . . but I have a feeling that Steve Whitmire coming to the Knoxville Fanboy Expo will bring an opportunity to meet some others from area, so that'd be a lot of fun.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
That's actually kinda sad to hear. I would hate to be a loner in real life, even if I have had my days where I'm feeling anti social.

I honestly have only met like one person I originally met online (my friend David from NYC, now one of my good friends). When him and I were both in the Total Drama fandom.

It would be cool to meet some more fellow Muppet fans. Just sucks that alot I know aren't even in the east coast.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
the sad thing is i have basically one friend that i know irl. thankfully shes also an internet dweller so shes not too surprised over my interests. I've talked to a few of her friends on discord voice calls but i mean its not really the same.

I've always been a loner and its always been really hard for me to make friends. i guess my interests are just so vastly different from everyone i know? I'm also really shocked I havent been punched in the face a few times for being too vocal on my opinions about certain subjects (being a cynical, non religious person living in the bible belt? hahahaha yeah).

granted i fully admit to me being an extremely hard person to get along with. I've been told by people i come off as intimidating irl and im not really sure why? apparently i just have that vibe

i hope this post makes sense im kinda sick and having trouble functioning akjshda

D'Snowth

Reaction score
That's actually kinda sad to hear. I would hate to be a loner in real life, even if I have had my days where I'm feeling anti social.
I don't think about it so much, because recent studies are saying that people will smaller social circles actually have better social lives in general than people who have a buttload of friends, because those fewer friendships are more likely to remain solid over a longer period of time and you're less likely to worry about severing ties and friendships with so many people.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Oh yeah, for sure. I'd hate to be that popular guy. But at the same time, I'd hate to have nobody to talk to in a face to face conversation. It would get lonely after awhile.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
I can say this though.

I have no respect for the people in my hometown.

After what I went through in elementary and my first year of middle school before transferring, they can go **** themselves.

Froggy Fool

Reaction score
It's funny, I have never met a real Muppet fan in real life. :stick_out_tongue:

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
So yeah. Other reasons I've been kind of hating myself lately.

Anxiety/depression. Honestly there are days I feel like I just have no desire to do anything, and it really sucks. Because then I have alot of trouble getting out of bed.

Knowing too much. This is pretty much already covered, but sometimes there are days I wish I could dump away alot of memories and thoughts from my brain.

And to be honest..... Just kind of living with my parents lately. We don't really talk that often, probably cause I'm too busy locked away in my room. There are days I definitely miss having my independence and just not having to be around anyone when **** is bugging me.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
You know, if it's one thing i've learned.

Don't always believe people act the same as they do online and in real life.

For instance, @muppetgem mentioning she can be shy and awkward in real life, but honestly has a.... Pretty outgoing personality here.

@Pig's Laundry mentioning he can be pretty shy in real life, though pretty social on here, I must say.

@Old Thunder mentioning that he has a bit of depression, though has never really shown it on here and has that casual, laid back, sarcastic guy personality.

Heck, even I won't lie when I say in real life, sometimes I can be a guy who's got a bit of a temper.... At least if something triggers it. I try not to show it too often, though.
I'm pretty much the same, but probably seem kinder in person because you can experience the inflection of how I way what I say and my spritely demeanor, but what you see is pretty much what you get.

I'll make several friends everywhere I go, but only have a core group of real besties. Because of that, much in daily life that is challenging for many others is easier for me. I have enough tough stuff to deal with so that's a relief. My willingness to know and understand others can be overwhelming to some, but in life and in business, it has made me very successful at many things. It's kind of weird, but at work, there are several ways to do any given task and everyone does things their own way. My way changes depending with whom I'm working. I do everything the way that makes them most comfortable. Not only does that make them happy, it keeps things interesting for me while doing mundane tasks.

Candor, honesty, a willingness to try to understand people who are different than I am, and openness are my greatest skills. That doesn't always translate well online because there are many shy and suspicious people who've been hurt in life who find a safer life online. Online folk seem to automatically be in a defensive posture that they wouldn't normally take in real life. While I don't experience that, I totally get that. I'm quite the curmudgeon whisperer.

I guess a lot of life, in real life and online, is about compartmentalizing, showing compassion (particularly when it's tough) and knowing one's audience. Everyone on the planet, including me, could be better at that. :wink: