What sketches scared you as a kid?

ISNorden

Reaction score
There was this cartoon segment, where a large group of ants hauled up a giant letter Q up to the top of an ant hill. When they reached the top, they all shouted in unison: "Q". But after that the letter was so heavy, they all lost their balance and fell to the ground, all screaming in pain.
Speaking of scary letter animations: was anyone else freaked out by a mid-70s animation about a dot that kept getting scared away from the top of a lower-case "i"? Every time the dot got to the top, some weird musical sounds played and a voice shouted the letter's name. (Whoever-it-was apparently gave in at the end of the cartoon, inspiring cheers and applause from an unseen audience...but up to that point, boy was it scary!)

mikebennidict

Reaction score
Guess it was a little bit scary.

I wonder what was the point of the dot jumping up and the i saying I!

ISNorden

Reaction score
Guess it was a little bit scary.

I wonder what was the point of the dot jumping up and the i saying I!
My thoughts exactly, at least when I was a girl watching first-hand: why would CTW want a cartoon to feel scary when the topic wasn't? Presenting a "danger" or "don't walk" sign in that same spooky tone, I could understand. But a letter of the alphabet? ... Come on!

More seriously, at least one fan has found a hidden lesson in that "i with the jumping dot" cartoon. Besides the letter I, the animator wanted to teach about standing up to people who intimidate and bully: the letter keeps trying to frighten the dot away, but fails in the end (as others cheer for the dot's courage).

Eaglekiller

Reaction score
Yes, the African Mask Muppets scared me but the Yip Yip Yips almost terrified me. In fact, my family made fun of me because of them!

Grundgetta2800

Reaction score
Oh and how about that one time when Gordon's nose grew... Anyone remember that. He got this long *** nose and needed a nose warmer. I've never been so scared in my life. It still scars me to this day.

CrazyHarryFan

Reaction score
My daughter was TERRIBLY frightened by the on where the worms are dancing, then that monster eats them.... I forget where I saw that recently, probably YouTube, but she cried and cried.

We stick to Muppet Babies, and Fraggle Rock. Some of those other ones really scare her! haha

I think the only thing that really upset me was when Ernie took Bert's nose. I would get SO UPSET when Ernie took his nose. I was just inconsolable! haha LOL Too Funny!