The Doctor Who Thread

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Yes! I absolutely love Tomb of the Cybermen! Best Cyberman story imo.
I love that one too. It's super creepy.
I've also seen The Mind Robber, which a lot of people think is too over the top and silly, but I loved how chaotic and silly it gets, especially towards the end.

Froggy Fool

Reaction score
I love that one too. It's super creepy.
I've also seen The Mind Robber, which a lot of people think is too over the top and silly, but I loved how chaotic and silly it gets, especially towards the end.
Haven't seen that one yet. I rather liked the Enemy of the World. It's kind of funny because it's made in the 60's but it takes place in 2018! :laugh:

The sad thing is - get this - there's this evil dictator in charge of the world who is a very greedy person and only cares about himself.

Sounds like any president you know? :wink:

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
So I just started watching the Classic Who episode "City of Death" - and it's amazing. Like the majority of the stories are pretty hit-or-miss, but this - is just pure gold. 10/10. @Pig's Laundry, @ZeppoAndFriends have you guys watched this episode? If you haven't you definitely should! :wisdom:
Sadly, I have not. My collection of the classic stuff is woefully lacking.
Yes! I absolutely love Tomb of the Cybermen! Best Cyberman story imo.
I have, however, seen this one. And I'll go a step up and say that it's one of the best stories period.

Froggy Fool

Reaction score
Sadly, I have not. My collection of the classic stuff is woefully lacking.

I have, however, seen this one. And I'll go a step up and say that it's one of the best stories period.
Yeah, it's great.

What other classic episodes have you seen?

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
Off the top of my head, I've seen Planet of Fire, the entire Trial of a Time Lord arc, Survival, The Happiness Patrol, An Uneartly Child, The Sensorites, The TV Movie, The Three Doctors, The Five Doctors, all of Tom Baker's first season except for Robot, and Remembrance of the Daleks.

It actually doesn't seem that lacking now that I've written it out.

Froggy Fool

Reaction score
I actually haven't seen the majority of the ones you've posted. I'm at the end of Season 17 with Tom Baker, currently on Nightmare of Eden. But after that, I'm watching all of the Seventh Doctor and then going back and watching the 2nd Doctor.

Is Trial of a Time Lord any good? I don't really like Colin Baker as the Doctor but I'm willing to watch it if it's decent?

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
Trying not to spoil anything:

His attitude is toned down a bit from his first season, at least where his interactions with Peri are concerned, so they actually seem like a pair that'd want to travel together.

The stories are serviceable, but I wouldn't call any of them classics, but we do get Brian Blessed as an alien warlord and the Doctor's epic calling out of the Time Lords, so that's a plus.

It has an effective (if predictable) overarching villian, an oddly-designed new monster, a version of Sil that doesn't look like he's falling apart and it opens with probably the best visual effects shot in all of Classic Who.

The only real downside is that the ending story fizzles a bit because the writer who came up with the whole 'trial' concept left and took his concept for the ending with him, so the new writers had to create a new wrapup whole cloth, on top of having to deal with the episode count being cut in half.

Froggy Fool

Reaction score
Yeah, I heard that the cliffhanger to every part is a bit, well, bland. Like the Doctor is accused of committing genocide and that's the end of the episode.

But thanks for telling me about it; I might go watch it when I'm done with (Tom) Baker, Troughton, and McCoy.

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
Better than that; the producer forced the production team to end every episode with a closeup of the Doctor, whether it made sense to or not, so some episodes have a scene that's obviously supposed to be the cliffhanger, then they cut to the Doctor, something less cliffhanger-y happens, and they end on it.

And, if I recall correctly, one DVD in the Trial set had an entire featurette about dodgy cliffhangers.

"Look out! It's a checkered floor!"

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Better than that; the producer forced the production team to end every episode with a closeup of the Doctor, whether it made sense to or not, so some episodes have a scene that's obviously supposed to be the cliffhanger, then they cut to the Doctor, something less cliffhanger-y happens, and they end on it.

And, if I recall correctly, one DVD in the Trial set had an entire featurette about dodgy cliffhangers.

"Look out! It's a checkered floor!"
Yeah, I think a lot of the classic episodes had this problem. Some stories are exciting and suspenseful from beginning to end, while others feel really boring and fillery because they had to stretch it out to make it four parts, whether it fit the plot or not.