1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

The Doctor Who Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ZeppoAndFriends, Jun 20, 2011.

1. ZeppoAndFriends

ZeppoAndFriends Well-Known Member

I couldn't find another thread like this, so I figured I'd start one.

Are there any other Doctor Who fans here, or is the fact that there isn't one a sign that I'm alone on that front?

If so...um...standard questions, I guess? Favorite Doctor? Companion? Era? Quote? Serial/Episode? Alien/Monster? Old or New? All that jazz.

If not, disregard everything this madman has written! HE'S CRAZY! :eek:
    ShanaynayXD likes this.
  2. newsmanfan

newsmanfan Well-Known Member

------------------------------------------------
    Doctor: Pertwee. (Although I have to admit a love of Tennant, and hey, Eccleston was kick-butt.
    Companions: Sarah Jane (still mourning), the Brigadier (ditto), and Harry...though Rose was actually a well-thought-out character.
    Era: hmmm...much as I love the old $2.99 sets and monsters, I have to go with the new eps (though I haven't yet seen Matt!)
    Alien: DALEKS. Duh!
    Have to think about the rest... but yay! for this thread. : >)

3. KermieBaby47

KermieBaby47 Well-Known Member

I second your "Yay", and raise you a "woo-hoo"! :) I absolutely LOVE DW, classic and new, and I don't think I'll ever get enough of the good Doctor. Really excited to start my Big Finish collection soon with the new adventures of Tom, YEAH!!!

So, that answers your 'favorite doc' question (though Jon and David are 2nd & 3rd, love 'em), what's next... the sad question. Sarah Jane of course (oh Lis), followed by Harry, Romana I, the Brig & Benton, Jo, Leela, Rose, Wilf & Donna, Martha, and who could forget K-9? :D

Classic era, as you can probably tell from above, ha, but I can't pinpoint a single 'top' favorite serial. I guess if I had to, it would be "Genesis", add to that "Robots of Death", "Deadly Assassin", "Brain of Morbius", both "Peladon" stories, "Invasion of the Dinosaurs", "3 Doctors", "Terror of the Zygons", plus the entire "Key to Time" series, I love me some Mary Tamm. :D

I'm only as far as "The Invisible Enemy" right now (though I've seen several 'Romana' shows a'course), so that's just a 'so far' list, heh. As for the new series, "School Reunion", and "Journey's End" I love, must be the return of Davros mixed with all those companions, awesome!

Aliens and monsters: Daleks, Cybermen, Sontarans, Zygons, Aggedor, Davros, The Master, the Robots (of Death), Omega, can't think of them all! Lol, typing on my wife's Touch, more to come! Cheers, and great thread!
    :)
    Anthony

Favorite baddies: Daleks, Cybermen, Sontarans, Zygons, Autons, and Davros and The Master! Really love Aggedor as a creature too.

My favorite quote is when the Doctor asks Romana what she'd like to be called instead of her way too long name, and she tells him "Fred". Then the Doctor says something like, "let's go Romana". Lol, it gets me every time!

There's lots more to say, but I'm typing this on my wife's iPod Touch, and it's taken me forEVER to get this much, so I'll leave it for another time. Cheers!
    Anthony
  4. KermieBaby47

Lol, had some problems editing last night, looks like I repeated myself! :p
  5. newsmanfan

To add: favorite quote...anything involving "reversing the polarity of the neutron flow" (I think Pertwee musta said that at LEAST once an ep, and I was delighted when the new guys revived it)!
    Runner up is a new one, and it's barely a quote: Donna Noble, upon seeing the Doc across the room in "Partners In Crime": "Oh...my...G-D!" That entire pantomine sequence had me in hysterics repeatedly. I also have to add Donna to the Fave Companions list. OI Spaceman!

----------------------------------------------------
  6. newsmanfan

----------------------------------------------------------
    Anyone else think Paul McGann wasn't given a fair shake? The DWTVM was sooooo bad...but he was wonderful. I've heard a couple of his Big Finish adventures now, and he's good, a believable Doctor.

Which reminds me: anyone else know of Mysterious Theatre 337? They're a Mystery Science Theatre knockoff (no relation to anyone in that show), but they ONLY riff on Doctor Who! I've read their blow-by-blow script for McGann's TV movie and it is hysterical. They've riffed a number of classic eps, too.
    http://www.shillpages.com/mt337/index2.php?pz=mtnews2

Great stuff, for any of you other Whovians!

---------------------------------------------------------------
  7. beakerboy12

beakerboy12 Well-Known Member

Favorite Doctor... David Tennant. He's whimsical, funny, but still straight-forward!

Companion.... Donna Noble. Mostly because I love the actress, I've seen a few of her stuff from her sketch comedy show and she is hilarious! The actress, Catherine Tate, is very diverse too. She can really be so dramatic in Doctor Who, she's a great actress. Now, I must mention my second favorite, the current, Amy Pond! She is really a nice sidekick to the Doctor! I just love this companion too!

Era... 2005-present. Because it's, truthfully, the only era I've seen of the show...

Quote... Simple. "Allons-y Alonso!"

Serial/Episode... Errr.... that's tough... probably "Love & Monsters" despite my fear of the monster in the episode.

Alien/Monster... The Adipose, by far! They're so cute and cuddly... but so gross... cuz' they're real adipose!

Old or New.... New, cuz', again, that era's all I've seen...
  8. KermieBaby47

BeakerBoy!! You just GOTTA watch the classic series man, it's "fantastic"! :D My family and I started with Matt's beginning, then went back to Chris and David, then went all the way back to some of 1 & 2 (not a big fan of them, but there are good stories), and I'm almost through all of 3 & 4, my favorite Doctors! Oh man, there's so many great companions and creatures, I just can't get enough. And the Doctors' themselves of course, just plain brilliant!! I was curious as to how the Doctor got to where he is today, and it's so cool to see his earlier adventures, and to be "in the know" with all the classic references in the new series'. Plus, you can watch 'em for free on a website called DailyMotion.com. :D After everyone's gone to sleep at night, I lay there watching Classic WHO on my wife's iPod Touch, it's great!
    newsmanfan likes this.
  9. ZeppoAndFriends

Didn't think the TV movie is deserving of a five O 'so' before the bad. In fact, I actually like it.

It was a huge mess, but it was fun to watch and Paul McGann was a great Doctor. Though, I guess I'm a little biased, because it was one of the first things I saw related to Doctor Who.
  10. KermieBaby47

That reminds me, how about your favorites Zepp?!? :D

I still haven't seen the tv movie, but I'm trying to watch 'em in order, so I guess I have an excuse, lol. I've heard (and have seen several cool pics) that the movie Tardis interior is absolutely beautiful, and largely the base that the new series got their ideas from. Definitely looking forward to that.

Also, with my first order of figures from Mike's Toys, he threw in a free Big Finish audio adventure, "Max Warp" featuring the 8th Doctor. Again, I won't be listening to it until I'm at that point in the series! When I'm done, I'll be catching up on the audios as well, probably starting with "Shada".

Cheers!
    Anthony
  11. ZeppoAndFriends

*Ahem* Don't call me Zepp! :grouchy:

Well, my favorite Classic Series Doctor is Tom Baker, who cemented his status with my favorite quote "HARRY SULLIVAN IS AN IMBECILE!" and Matt Smith is shaping up to be my favorite New Series Doctor.

Favorite companion would have to be Amy Pond, just because she and Eleven are so good together (and I have a thing for redheads :coy:).

My era would have to be the new, simply because I haven't seen enough of the classic series to make a definitive call.

Never really been able to choose a definite favorite episode of this, or any series. What I prefer depends on the mood I'm in.

And finally, my favorite alien: OOD!
  12. newsmanfan

-----------------------------------
    The circle must be broken! Hurrah for the Ood!
    -------------------------------
  13. ZeppoAndFriends

Oh! I've been meaing to ask. Has anyone here heard of Chameleon Circuit (the band, not the busted Tardis part)?

If not, (I have been dying to do this), here's a sample:
  14. HamHock

HamHock Member

Me and my my sister love Chameleon Cercuit! I have "Blink" and "An aweful lot of running" on my itunes!

Fave Doctor: David Tennant, although Matt Smith is a close second.

Fave Companion: I'd have to say Donna ("STOP BLEEPING ME!!!"). Mostly because she was the only one who wasn't hopelessly in love with him. Amy is ok too (Did you see the most recent episode, with River Song and Melody? How could I not figure that out!)

Fave Era: Th new one, I haven't seen much of the older ones...

I'm not sure about fave serial, but the best quote... I'd have to agree with beakerboy's "Alonzo"" from the Titanic Christmas Special!

Fave Episode: Journey's End (Season 4 Finale)

And my fave aliens: The Daleks, but not the new models (Tacky!)
  15. ZeppoAndFriends

I kind of like the Tacky Technicolor Daleks (if only they didn't have those ugly humps).

So, without too much spoilering, anyone care to give their thoughts on the first half of the sixth series?
  16. KermieBaby47

My thoughts: so far I have only 1 favorite episode that we've watched multiple times (though, of course, I'm saving every episode on my DVR, hee-hee), wanna guess which one? :D

IMO, the Doc has been a little too goofy and eccentric lately, moreso than he was in his first season... I dunno, just seems slightly out of place to me. Am I alone in this? (At least in this forum, there's plenty of folks on other boards who can't stand the poor guy, but I haven't gone that far. He is our first Doctor afterall.)

I like the new Daleks too! Yeah, that hump is an odd design choice, but I do appreciate the overall streamlined look and bold colors. The classic Daleks will forever be my favorites however, specifically the gun-metal grey models from "Genesis of the Daleks".
  17. ZeppoAndFriends

Umm...The Doctor's Wife?
    KermieBaby47 likes this.
  18. scottishpiggy

scottishpiggy Member

does no one remember the assistant Ace from Sylvester Mccoy days? it was when I was 8 or 9, and I sooooo wanted to be her.
  19. scottishpiggy

scottishpiggy Member

favourite doctor - this is tricky, i have a huge allegiance to the old doctors (fave being sylvester mccoy, tom baker, patrick troughton and jon pertwee) but going by the relaunch its david tennant, closely followed by matt smith who seems to be a good ammalgimation of both tennant and eccleston.

Favourite companion - old - was ace. But she was replaced by Donna - shes just reminds me of me lol

Episode....hmmm.... i think the adipose one, just for the silent scene between the doctor and donna , but the family of blood was swesome too - that young man freaks me out

Alien - dalek/cyberman, but i do like the ood too. oh and lets not forget aldrick.

fave villian was always teh master, and john sim does a **** fine job at it.

I suppse im being pretty vague but thats teh problem, ive seen every single episode ever so its hard to narrow it down (and yes that includes the ones from the 50s - an ex bf had every single episode on VHS)

what can i say? Im a geek. And proud :)
    KermieBaby47 likes this.
  20. KermieBaby47

Lol, easy huh? Love, love, LOVE that episode. Also really loved the moments with the ganger Doc speaking in Tom and David's voices, WAY cool!

:D
    scottishpiggy likes this.