The Nostalgia Critic Thread Lives Again!

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Well, I think finding out what's been going on in Hollywood, especially, has soured people a lot. We want to purge our media of anything morally wrong so that we don't feel guilty for putting more money into them. I'm not sure how practical it always is, but I think some things are harder to enjoy than others. Separating the art from the artist is not always so easy, especially in extreme cases. If you find out that a director, for instance gets arrested for literally eating baby elephants, and all of his movies feature characters who eat elephants for breakfast, you might not enjoy their movies so much after finding that out, no matter how good the film technically is. It's not just boycotting because of moral outrage, it's also the simple fact that I would be too creeped out to watch anything, with certain people in them, and sometimes their creepiness seeps through into their art.
The problem about wanting to 'purge' media of whats 'morally wrong' is that the way people go about it is...arguably morally wrong in itself. There's nothing wrong with not wanting to support someone because of their bad behavior. But people look for things to be angry about that they really have no grounds for.

Someone makes an innocent mistake that may come off as insensitive and they are immediately deemed garbage, problematic, and given absolutely no room to apologize and right what they did. They're attacked, sent death threats, and even their families are threatened. I don't care what the person did, sending death threats to someone does not make you morally right. People will praise 'representation' that is clearly just there for fetish sake, but immediately shred legitimate representation because of one minor mistake in portrayal that was not meant to be offensive.

If you want to stop supporting someone for what they did, that's your choice. However, if you're going as far as pressuring others to stop watching something they enjoy because someone involved did something questionable, you're an a-hole.

Point is, sometimes the outrage is unwarranted and people are just being overly sensitive snowflakes. Like the steven universe fandom who turned on the creators of the show when they said people can draw the characters any way they want. because in their mind, allowing people to draw a fat character skinny was the worst most offensive crime you could think of and was grounds for sending death threats to both the artists and the shows creators.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
The problem about wanting to 'purge' media of whats 'morally wrong' is that the way people go about it is...arguably morally wrong in itself. There's nothing wrong with not wanting to support someone because of their bad behavior. But people look for things to be angry about that they really have no grounds for.

Someone makes an innocent mistake that may come off as insensitive and they are immediately deemed garbage, problematic, and given absolutely no room to apologize and right what they did. They're attacked, sent death threats, and even their families are threatened. I don't care what the person did, sending death threats to someone does not make you morally right. People will praise 'representation' that is clearly just there for fetish sake, but immediately shred legitimate representation because of one minor mistake in portrayal that was not meant to be offensive.

If you want to stop supporting someone for what they did, that's your choice. However, if you're going as far as pressuring others to stop watching something they enjoy because someone involved did something questionable, you're an a-hole.

Point is, sometimes the outrage is unwarranted and people are just being overly sensitive snowflakes. Like the steven universe fandom who turned on the creators of the show when they said people can draw the characters any way they want. because in their mind, allowing people to draw a fat character skinny was the worst most offensive crime you could think of and was grounds for sending death threats to both the artists and the shows creators.
This ^
Or that time someone who literally worked on the show got harassed off of Twitter because of fans didn't like that she was making art for a ship that probably won't happen in the show, so they accused her of "queerbaiting". And don't get me wrong, queerbaiting sucks, but this was definitely not that.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Far as I'm concerned, half the fans of the SU fandom are just annoying Tumblr SJW's while some like @muppetgem are normal.

And I'm still surprised to hear some people had bad experiences meeting Doug. Mine was good; had a very outgoing personality and he really loved my Dr. Forrester costume and told me how much he loves Mst3k. I even mentioned to him about the Netflix series that came out last year.

I still think maybe those people just possibly caught him on bad days, cause others who met him when I was in line were very happy getting to meet one of their heroes, and one girl on Deviantart dressed as Loopy from Kablam's "Life with Loopy" was very happy to have gotten to meet him.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
HOLY GUACAMOLE! In the last two weeks Channel Awesome has gone from over 40 contributors to just three! With the most recent departures being just earlier today.

Also, several woman are accusing JewWario (Justin Carmical), the contributor that committed suicide in 2014 of grooming them when they were underaged.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
I've very rarely watched things from Channel Awesome, so this whole debacle is honestly the most interested thing ever pertaining to them for me. :stick_out_tongue:

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I've very rarely watched things from Channel Awesome, so this whole debacle is honestly the most interested thing ever pertaining to them for me. :stick_out_tongue:
I must say, after the initial shock wore off after a day or two, this whole drama got really interesting.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Like I said, my only interest in Channel Awesome has been Nostalgia Critic, and even so, it's mostly because I've been a fan since the pre-CA TGWTG days.

And honestly, I'm still interested to see if Doug himself (and/or Rob) is ever going to release a response/statement of his own.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I've heard Larry is only still there because he wants to be the last person standing. Good for him I guess? Though it feels more like he's just sitting on the sidelines eating popcorn as everything goes up in flames.

the blockbuster buster made a video about why he left. It's pretty interesting because it comes from a more neutral view of CA itself (he was mostly ignored and left out of the loop of everything apparently).

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I will say this, I hope Channel Awesome gets it's act together, or more likely, I hope an alternative to it is founded or gains prominence. For all it's problems, CA helped to launch the careers of dozens of creators. It's helped pull people out of poverty, it's given some small channels a lot of recognition, it's helped creative projects get off the ground that never would've been possible without them. In this day and age, when YouTube is more corporate and money driven than ever, smaller channels could use something like that.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I've heard Larry is only still there because he wants to be the last person standing. Good for him I guess? Though it feels more like he's just sitting on the sidelines eating popcorn as everything goes up in flames.
That's @LittleJerry92, not Little Larry. :stick_out_tongue:

I will say this, I hope Channel Awesome gets it's act together, or more likely, I hope an alternative to it is founded or gains prominence. For all it's problems, CA helped to launch the careers of dozens of creators. It's helped pull people out of poverty, it's given some small channels a lot of recognition, it's helped creative projects get off the ground that never would've been possible without them. In this day and age, when YouTube is more corporate and money driven than ever, smaller channels could use something like that.
Well, there are alternatives out there, the problem is they're all flawed, and never catch on for one reason or another - mainly because YouTube is a necessary evil: if you're not on YouTube, you're pretty much non-existent.

At the same time, I have to say that I feel like CA has turned internet reviewers and reviews in general into what TV Tropes calls "Seinfeld is Unfunny." Reviews are part of the current zeitgeist of what's popular/successful on YouTube these days, and honestly, it's become white noise at this point.