The Problems with Modern Sesame Street

Worst problem with Sesame in the past 20 years?

• Total voters

groverandgrapes

Reaction score
Sesame street is doing fine. Yes it does need to end but what shows do little kids watch now? I think that sesame street is one of the only "educational" show.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
The show has literally been extremely diverse from the very start since day 1 in 1969….. a time when even then there still was barely a whole lot of representation on television and Sesame Street was one of the biggest new changes bringing in diversity to television. I’m not sure what you’re getting at with it being “shoe-horned.”

TheRealFraggle

Reaction score
The show has literally been extremely diverse from the very start since day 1 in 1969….. a time when even then there still was barely a whole lot of representation on television and Sesame Street was one of the biggest new changes bringing in diversity to television. I’m not sure what you’re getting at with it being “shoe-horned.”
I mean in terms of the Muppet characters, not the human ones. Did they really need black and Asian puppets who are devoid of personality? Kids identify with the monsters and abstractly humanoid Muppets just fine.

datman24

Reaction score
But what's the point of ending the show at all if they're just going to make another one with all the same characters? Sesame Street needs to end and I mean END, not transition into a lower-quality spinoff. It's been going on for 54 years now and they're honestly just beating a dead horse at this point. Enough with Sesame Street!
The Sesame Street Muppets are like the Looney Tunes and traditional Disney characters, in that they're timeless enough that they'll continue on long after their original show (and performers) comes to an end.

TheRealFraggle

Reaction score
The Sesame Street Muppets are like the Looney Tunes and traditional Disney characters, in that they're timeless enough that they'll continue on long after their original show (and performers) comes to an end.
Except for Elmo who will hopefully burn in ****.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
I mean in terms of the Muppet characters, not the human ones. Did they really need black and Asian puppets who are devoid of personality? Kids identify with the monsters and abstractly humanoid Muppets just fine.
We’ve literally had a Brown AM pattern since season 25 of Sesame Street. Once upon a time, Kingston Livingston was a major recurring character on the show during the ATC days.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
I also understand this was all the way back in season 1 when very often pre-existing Muppets would be recycled into other characters, but we have had at least three Caucasian characters beforehand long before the Brown AM pattern was made (and more puppets with real-life human flesh skin tones were developed):

TheRealFraggle

Reaction score
We’ve literally had a Brown AM pattern since season 25 of Sesame Street. Once upon a time, Kingston Livingston was a major recurring character on the show during the ATC days.

...And nobody has heard of him anymore, which proves my point.