Sesame Street Bloopers/Technical Difficulties

Convincing John

Reaction score
Get Back!!!

Once, sometime during the 80's, they had one of those "How they make things" clips. This one was only on a few times, since it showed how records (y'know, LP's) were made. Showed the wax, the machines in the factory, the record sleeves, the whole bit.

Anyway, there was this guy who had some kind of local band, and they showed them jamming a little with their guitars, warming up, and they wanted the guy's son to sing "Bingo". (This recording plays over the record factory shots). So anyway, this little kid (about 5 or 6) steps up to the mike. The bandleader says: "a one, a two, a one, two, three four!" and the kid begins to sing at the top of his voice:

Jojo was a man who thought he was a loner
But he knew it wouldn't last!
Jojo left his home in Tucson, Arizona
For some...

And the dad immediately says "No no no! You're singing that other song. Remember, you're going to sing 'Bingo'." So the kid sings "Bingo" on the second take and gets it right.

For a few seconds, there was a Paul McCartney impersonator on Sesame Street!

Convincing John

Convincing John

Reaction score
GeeBee said:
I believe there is a technical blooper in the vintage skit where Grover is in front of a phone booth. He is explaining about a telephone and a bunch of monsters run over him to answer when it rings. The movement in some parts of this skit seemed to be jerky and uneven, as if there was a problem in making the film or tape run smoothly. This is especially noticeable when Grover waves his arm around in the beginning. Does anyone else remember this skit or that glitch?
Hey, yeah! I saw that, too. Maybe it's because they were getting ready to speed up the film when the monsters ran in, and the projector wasn't working quite right.

Convincing John

dinoboy

Reaction score
Here's something strange I remember, one day when I was young watching Sesame Street, the station had some technical difficulties and the show stopped. You saw an image of Big Bird (during the 1970's) standing next to the Sesame Street sign post smiling. Then you start to hear some easy listening music in the background. After awhile, you hear someone announcing
"We are currently having some technical difficulties at this time, and that a monster may be in our machine, so sit back, relax and we will have the problem fixed momentarily." What a way to tell the kids about techincal difficulties.

balana

Reaction score
There's a skit I've seen of 'The Remembering Game' where Cookie Monster and some other guy are playing a sort of 'matching' game where there's 4 blocks on a game board with the numbers 1-4, 2 with cookies and 2 with airplanes on the back. The first time a number is picked, the camera's got a wider shot on the game board, where an arm can clearly be seen turning the block around to reveal the plane. On subsequent guesses the shot of the game board is a little bit closer to cut out the edges.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
i've seen pictures of that on a yahoo group but don't ever recall seeing that growing up. I wonder what Henson and the rest of the muppet staff thought after they realized it? Jim might of said. I THOUGHT I TOLD YOU NOT TO SHOW YOURSELVES!

superboober

Reaction score
Well, he probably wouldn't have gone about it like that; it's well documented that Jim rarely raised his voice on problems and sought to overcome errors constructively. :smile:

Soul H

Reaction score
Another blooper that comes to mind, is in The Count's Countdown. For video 3 they play "Wet Paint" and they say that How Now Brown's record company is Mootown Records, when his original record company is Splotchkat Records.

Not to mention the obvious that Mootown Records is paradizing Motown music which How Now Brown's group plays nothing of the sort type of music what so ever.

Weird no?

rumtar_10165

Reaction score
Muppeteer Spoted

ok I have one for one and all. there was this skit where Grover talks about the libary. An ATM walks in and tells Grover "your speaking rather loudly, you have to talk softer."
Close to the end the Atm puppet walks up to a book shelf and we see Jerry Nelson holding up the ATM puppet.

Soul H

Reaction score
Another one that comes to mind is in the "Songs of the Street" album where they celebrate 35 years. In one part of the book they say Melissa Etheridge tried to fend off a googley-eyed over affectionate U.

But having seen the video the U was neither googly-eyed or over affectionate. And she wasn't trying to get away from the U, she was dancing with it.

Apparently they were confusing Melissa Etheridge for Smokey Robinson.

Weird no?