Favorite Bert and Ernie Sketch

Ziffel

Reaction score
Yep, that was another good one. Ernie had played around with Cookie Monster for a while saying, "Maybe there's a cookie in here. Or maybe it's a box of crayons. Or maybe it's thumbtacks."

Ziffel

Reaction score
Boober_Gorg said:
Bert said "Oh brother" after Ernie said "Let's see" while looking in his book, so the pronunciation of the "s" in "see" followed by the "oh" would sound like the word "some" to the average listener.
Thanks Boober_Gorg. I didn't think that there would have been a gaffe in this one skit because earlier in the same skit when Ernie tells Bert he just heard that someone in the neighborhood is sick, Bert responds, "Oh well whatdaya know. Who do you think it is Ernie ol' pal?"

Mickey Moose

Reaction score
Gonzo14 said:
this isn't a Bert and Ernie Sketch, but I liked the scene where Ernie was holding a Paper Bag, and Cookie Monsters said that he hoped there was a cookie in the bag, then Ernie said "it is not a cookie" and Cookie put his head down in dissapointment, then Ernie said "it is infact 10 cookies" and dumped them out. Cookie Monster jumped up and started eating. Ernie then said "or now it's 9 cookies, 8 cookies, etc.)
I have this clip, and it's kinda weird to hear Cookie use the word "I" instead of "me" when referring to himself. I guess it was early in the character's development.

PiLfan

Reaction score
Mickey Moose said:
I have this clip, and it's kinda weird to hear Cookie use the word "I" instead of "me" when referring to himself. I guess it was early in the character's development.

not to quibble, because it's not like it affected me or anything (or maybe it did...i'll have to go back and check my first grade report card)...but i was wondering if ss characters should use such improper grammar as often as cookie did. while kids are learning various things from these programs, one of them is (or should be) proper speech.

ahh, on second thought, to heck with it....cookie is dang more entertaining when he says stuff like "Me no eat letter of day!"

he just wouldn't be the same if he got all professor-like and serious on us....(alistair cookie being the notable exception of course :big_grin: )

Mickey Moose

Reaction score
PiLfan said:
not to quibble, because it's not like it affected me or anything (or maybe it did...i'll have to go back and check my first grade report card)...but i was wondering if ss characters should use such improper grammar as often as cookie did. while kids are learning various things from these programs, one of them is (or should be) proper speech.

ahh, on second thought, to heck with it....cookie is dang more entertaining when he says stuff like "Me no eat letter of day!"

he just wouldn't be the same if he got all professor-like and serious on us....(alistair cookie being the notable exception of course :big_grin: )
It's an arguable point. Sesame Street was meant to be an educational tool. Had the character been developed today, he probably never would have developed his bad grammar.

Now that I think about it, I wonder what prompted Frank to start using the improper grammar for Cookie. Did he just slip up one day and decided it seemed to work for the character and kept it? Or did someone else suggest it? It'd be an interesting question to ask him.

Ziffel

Reaction score
mikebennidict said:
also anyone rememebr this 1st season E&B skit were i think Bert says it's your turn to go to Mr. Hooper's store to get a newspaper and Ernie makes some kind of fuss about it. it's apparently a hot day so Ernie decides to go out shirtless, wears sunglasses, and takes sun tan lotion in spite the fact Hooper's store is a short distance. i don't rememebr the whole thing but towarfds the end Ernie wants Bert to go outside to see what the Weather is like and Ernie says while your there, referring to Hooper's store, get me a newspaper. Bert goes aaaahhhhh and chases Ernie.
GeeBee said:
Ah, you've just mentioned one of my all time favorite Ernie and Bert skits that hasn't been shown for years. Actually, it's Ernie's turn to go to the store to get the newspaper; naturally he doesn't want to do it, but Bert insists. Ernie starts getting out things that he would never need. He brings an umbrella even though there's not a cloud in the sky, a flashlight even though it's the middle of the day, etc. Finally, before he leaves, he asks Bert for some bubble gum. Why? In case he runs into a polar bear who wants to eat him. He'll give the polar bear a piece of bubble gum and the bear will be so busy chewing it, he won't be able to eat him. When Bert tells Ernie that they are out of bubble gum, Ernie says that he can't go to the store to get the paper. An exasperated Bert then agrees to go out and get Ernie some bubble gum. Ernie asks Bert where he plans to get it. Bert replies that he will probably go to Mr. Hooper's Store. Ernie then asks him to pick up a newspaper while he's there. Thus, leading to Bert's outrage and the chase.
I thought of Bert chasing Ernie around the apartment but couldn't recall which skit he did this in. But I found it here way back in this thread where you guys mentioned it here. Yeah, this was a good one that I also haven't seen in so long. I love how after Ernie says he needs the gum because, "You give the gum to the bear. And he's so busy chewing he can't bite you" Bert says, "That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard!" The way he said it was so great. It was rather slow paced and he emphasized the words dumbest and ever (That is the DUMBEST thing I have EVER heard!).
By the way, regarding the ending scene where Bert goes "Ahhhhh!" and chases Ernie. As far as I can remember this is the only skit where Bert chases after Ernie. Is this the case or does anyone else recall another time when Bert did that. I know Bert ran around the room wildly in the "Ernie counts to ten" skit, but he did not run at Ernie. Ernie continued to stand there and say the alphabet as if oblivious to Bert's screaming and running around the apartment.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
Ernie Pouring Milk Upside Down.

I think I saw a remake of this in 1 of the more recent seasons but E&B originally did this in the 1st season. Ernie says he can pour milk upside down and bert says ''no way!'' but Ernie does it.

Ziffel

Reaction score
I thought of one skit that Bert wasn't really in, except that he was mentioned and was supposed to be offscreen in the bedroom. Ernie calls the doctor (they were still doing house calls in the early 70's) because Bert has an upset stomach. But when the doctor gets there he keeps examining Ernie (in the living room). Ernie keeps trying to stop him and get him to come to treat Bert, but the doc persists. Finally the doctor says, "Ernie, you're in fine shape, why did you call me?" I think Ernie says, "What?" in disbelief at the question. And the doctor repeats the question. Ernie says, "I called you because my friend Bert has a tummy ache! Come right this way." And they walk offscreen towards the bedroom and we hear the doctor say, "Okay, Bert. Open your mouth." (pretty hilarious finish to a pretty funny skit. If Bert has a tummy ache why is he asking to look in his mouth!)
The doctor was a muppet, definitely voiced by Jerry Nelson. If I remember correctly, he was blue and looked a lot like Simon Soundman.

abiraniriba

Reaction score
My favorite ernie & Bert Sketch

I guess I would have to say my favorite Ernie & Bert sketch is the one where Ernie has a piece of string tied to his finger and Bert asks him what it's for. Ernie tells him it's to remind him of something. Bert asks him what it reminds him of. Ernie says its to remind him that there's a string tied around this finger. The skecth goes on like that through all 10 of Ernie's fingers until finally at the last finger Bert is exasperated (as usual) but asks Ernie the question anyway and Ernie says its to remind him that we're all out of string. :frown:

Ziffel

Reaction score
Another one of my big time favorite Ernie and Bert skits was the checkers one. But not the one that I've seen mentioned fairly often in the forum (where Bert plays checkers with Bernice the pigeon. That was a cute idea too) but where Bert is reading a book and Ernie comes up behind him and shouts, "Hi Bert it's time for our checker game!". Bert is startled and goes, "Ah! Ah! Ah!". When Bert tells Ernie he didn't know he was here, Ernie then wonders if maybe he really isn't here. After some funny and ridiculous things from Ernie, Bert finally solves the problem by telling Ernie to look in a mirror. Bert says, "Look at this, now what do you see?" Ernie: "Well that's the mirror, Bert." Bert: "No I mean look INSIDE and tell me what you see!"
Ernie finally realizes that he must be here. Bert resumes reading that book. Ernie then scares him all over again by coming up behind him shouting, "Hi Bert it's time for our checker game!". And Bert does the hilarious "Ah! Ah! Ah!" again. Then Frank Oz REALLY cracked me up the way he made Bert say, "Ernie, we CANNOT play checkers!" Ernie says, "Why not ol' buddy Bert, I'm here." Bert retorts, "Yeah Ernie, you're here you're here you're here. But I'm NOT!" And he storms out of the house and slams the door. (Hopefully he still had his book in his hand so he could then go to a booth in Mr. Hooper's store and read it while drinking a refreshing milkshake!)