No U.S. visit for HIV-positive Muppet

Drtooth

Reaction score
Actually, that is the main reason why they decided to use a Muppet character. It really would put the problem into perspective by using a magical character. Similar to the Unicef Smurf ad.

Of course, I still say I'm not wild about the military videos featuring Muppets fighting in wars....

wwfpooh

Reaction score
They can't because they have nothing to do with us humans on the inside
I call bullhonkey on that, because all creations are as real as genuine people to their fans and their creators, and as well, fictional or not, most creations are based around the qualities all of us humans have.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
:smile: Muppets have a way of relating to people, especially kids, on a level few other things or people do. Can a Muppet actually read? Can Gonzo actually pick up a phone without it being glued to his hand (as in the Jim Henson Hour episode)? Kami is a way to inform kids in South Africa of an issue that plagues them every day - and she does it in such a way that is thoughtful instead of scary. :embarrassed:

Also, I believe it is explained that Kami got the disease from her mother. It is explained as a blood disease (which it technically is) rather than anything to do with sex. Kami teaches South African kids how to love, hug and be friends with other kids infected with HIV and how to keep safe when someone scrapes a knee while playing etc.

However, if this concern was meant out of mostly silliness, please disregard this post. :stick_out_tongue:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I could easily see a video where Kami visits US Sesame Street. Solves the issue of yes/no to having the character on SS.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Also, I believe it is explained that Kami got the disease from her mother. It is explained as a blood disease (which it technically is) rather than anything to do with sex.
Well, not all cases of HIV have to do with sex, and considering all of the Henson properties--as odd and risque as they may be at times--have this modern "nice guy" outlook placed on them, they couldn't obviously--on a kid's show--mention the sexual part of the disease.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well, not all cases of HIV have to do with sex, and considering all of the Henson properties--as odd and risque as they may be at times--have this modern "nice guy" outlook placed on them, they couldn't obviously--on a kid's show--mention the sexual part of the disease.
They couldn't even have done that in the 70's.

Anyway, A, this is old news, so I don't think SW has changed their minds since, and B... well, how many times has a foreign character actually come to Sesame? Abelardo was the only one. Even with Shalome Sesame (refering to the American English language segments) and Celebrate Around the World, they didn't leave their corner of the globe.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Well, that sort of defeats the purpose of world unity, doesn't it?

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I was just thinking: Poor Kami. Imagine if you have Muppet cousins in another country and you can't even go see them because almost the WHOLE COUNTRY says they don't want you there.

Imagine how THAT must feel. :frown:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Anyway, A, this is old news,
It's still topical no matter how old it is.

Anyway, I think SS is smart enough now that they could handle a topic like this for a special episode.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
If Sesame were smart, they'd return some characters back to their original states (ex: The Count via the thunder & lightning alongside the Romanian music and of course Cookie's overconsumption of cookies) and would limit Elmo's appearances so that children could see how things were without having to deal with silly disclaimers or whatever. :frown: