No U.S. visit for HIV-positive Muppet

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's still topical no matter how old it is.
Indeed. But I don't think they're still considering it.

Anyway, I think SS is smart enough now that they could handle a topic like this for a special episode.
Well... then we have to go back to the whole culture gap between Africa and the US. In Africa it effects more kids than it does in the US. HIV/AIDs in Africa affects quite a large number of adults and Kids. In the US, while kids are affected by such, it seems more like an adult problem. By and large it affects more adults than kids.

While it would be great to see SS handle an episode or special where a child has to deal with a sickly parent (doesn't matter what the ailement), I could not see them doing something as bold as this. Political dislike of the military specials aside, that's the boldest thing they've done since the 2002 Hooper's Store fire episode (we all know what the episode was made for, and speaking apolitically I appaluded them for that). We could then let this thread slip into the same topic the "SS not for Kids" thread, but it would be redundant.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
All valid points, but there are still the ones who have it in the USA and it is not necessarily a decreasing occurrence and we may as well begin learning more about it now instead of waiting until we end up in the same shape as Africa. It's quite widespread enough here that we could stand the education.

Just in Memphis, TN, alone:
http://www.friendsforlifecorp.org/documents/ShelbyCounty2005HIVEpiProfile72006.pdf

wwfpooh

Reaction score
All valid points, but there are still the ones who have it in the USA and it is not necessarily a decreasing occurrence and we may as well begin learning more about it now instead of waiting until we end up in the same shape as Africa. It's quite widespread enough here that we could stand the education.

Just in Memphis, TN, alone:
http://www.friendsforlifecorp.org/documents/ShelbyCounty2005HIVEpiProfile72006.pdf
Point taken, but compared to Africa, all of the people here that have it would be a speck, whereas Africa's people that have it would be a big spot.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Spot or speck, folks need to know. I am stupid about it, never having learned anything about it (except how not to get it) and what few things I've learned watching TV shows--but, that's not always reliable information.

It would educate me as much as the little folks. I agree, I'm not ready for it to be on PBS except maybe if it were a special, but a straight to DVD episode wouldn't be bad. On DVD, you have the option/choice to buy it or not, and I feel the education would be honest, pure, and sincere.

Ever see "A is for Asthma" on their website? Asthma can be dangerous, but they handled it very well. It's just not as controversial as AIDS.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Sesame Street is not really meant to be controversial in its contemporary form, which is why I don't think doing a subject on AIDs would work.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Having a segment on how to STAY SAFE from aids might be a good thing! (Whats safe and what isnt)
Point taken, but how can one cover a complicated and controversial issue such as AIDs without really going into the other aspects of how it is caused? Sure, Africa was able to do it, but would our PC-controlled current system be able to deal with it?

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Point taken, but how can one cover a complicated and controversial issue such as AIDs without really going into the other aspects of how it is caused? Sure, Africa was able to do it, but would our PC-controlled current system be able to deal with it?
Actually, it's quite simple. Sesame Street teaches kids how to read and write without throwing the entire book War and Peace at them. There are equally simple ways to demonstrate generally healthy practices of what to do if you skin your knee and that you can hug someone with HIV or AIDS.

Ultimately HIV is a blood disease with several ways it can be contracted. The primary one in kids is having it passed down from birth. Of course this doesn't always happen when a parent is HIV positive, but that's another discussion.

Sex, in any form, shouldn't be a topic of discussion on Sesame Street and doesn't need to be one in approaching the topic of HIV for that target age group.

I still think a send-away video (like the recent one for families of armed forces who have returned disabled) would probably be the best way to go in the current climate. Sesame can open all the new corners of the street, introduce cute new characters and promote Elmo's specials all they want, but there is little that sets their current product apart from others these days. :frown:

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Sesame can open all the new corners of the street, introduce cute new characters and promote Elmo's specials all they want, but there is little that sets their current product apart from others these days.
This I cannot dispute and is part of why I wish the old Street were back and...well...Unpaved.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
This I cannot dispute and is part of why I wish the old Street were back and...well...Unpaved.
The new Old School box sets serve as reminders of how many edges have been sanded down and dulled since I was a kid. I know they come with a warning that the old episodes aren't for today's kids, but you know - I think the old episodes contain valuable information, entertainment and perspective missing from today's Street. Sesame is still the best educational show around, but it doesn't shine like it used to and still could. :smile:

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Agreed, and we cannot all lay blame on Elmo, although he was probably a key factoid in the Street turning into the Stepford thing it's been recently.