Sweetums appearances on "The Muppet Show"

P

Philip Kippel

I've decided to make a list of the Muppet Show episodes that Sweetums appeared in:

The ones that I know of so far are:

#4 Ruth Buzzi: he performs "Can't Take My Eyes Off of You" with Ruth
#5 Rita Moreno: he holds some cue cards and then Rita in the Talk Spot
#7 Florence Henderson: he literally falls for Florence in a brief skit with her
#8 Paul Williams: he surrounds Paul when he gloats about being the tallest person on the show along with Thog and a Mutation, he also appears in the goodnights
#14 Sandy Duncan: he performs in Sandy's opening number "A Nice Girl Like Me", gets cheered up by Sandy in the park sketch and appears in the goodnights
#15 Candice Bergen: he eats Candice's camera during the Talk Spot
#16 Avery Schrieber: he plays the monster of the moors in Avery's first act
#19 Vincent Price: he literally gives Vincent a hand in a brief skit
#28 Rich Little: he surrounds Rich at the end of his interview along with Timmy Monster, Gorgon Heap and Big Mama
#30 Nancy Walker: he performs "They Can't Take That Away From Me" with Nancy in the closing number
#36 Bernadette Peters: he appears in the first backstage scene and performs in Bernadette's first number "Take a Little One-Step"
#41 Julie Andrews: he performs in Julie's closing number "I Whistle a Happy Tune"
#46 Teresa Brewer: he sings "Spinning Wheel" with Teresa while pushing her on a swing
#47 John Cleese: he sings "We've Got Each Other" with Robin and sings in John's closing number
#48 Cloris Leachman: he performs "Just in Time" with Cloris and tries to eat her in the closing number
#49 Rita Coolidge & Kris Kristofferson: he appears in the cold opening and in Rita & Kris's closing number
#55 Alice Cooper: he performs in Alice's closing number "School's Out" and appears in the goodnights
#56 Loretta Lynn: he claps his hands and stomps his feet in the background during Loretta's opening number "You're Lookin' at Country"
#62 Harry Belafonte: he pushes the giant bunch of bananas onto the set at the end of Harry's opening number "Day O"
#66 Leslie Uggams: he sings and plays the trombone in Leslie's opening number "Hey There, Good Times" and is seen returning from the stage with Leslie, Big Mama and Timmy Monster in the first backstage scene
#71 Lynn Redgrave: he appears in the torture scene
#72 Cheryl Ladd: he sings in Cheryl's closing number "Sunshine on My Shoulder"
#83 Lola Falana: he dances in the background in Lola's first number "He's the Greatest Dancer"
#114 Marty Feldman: he plays the evil genie in "Sinbad the Sailor/Surfer" and sings in the closing number

Are there any others?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I haven't seen the episode, but he appeared as a pirate in the episode with Glenda Jackson.

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
He does? I don't remember seeing him in there.

Actually, as far as I can tell, he doesn't appear in the episode at all, despite the many photos of him with Cheryl Ladd against a blue background. Practically every time a picture of this episode is used, it is one of her and Sweetums, yet the sketch pictured is nowhere to be found in the episode.

Anyone have any idea what's up with that? Was there some sequence that was shot & promoted, then cut after the fact?

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole

David French

Reaction score
No he doesn't; the Muppets that appear that number are the Woodland creatures from "For What It's Worth", the Woodpecker, Fozzie, Scooter, Rowlf, Robin, Kermit and Beauregard. Gonzo appears onstage in the goodnight, so it's possible that he may have been in that number as well (albeit in squashed form).

Sweetums appears in every episode from the second season onwards.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
In a similar note, there is a promotional picture of John Cleese with Fozzie Bear, and the two didn't have any screen tiem togetehr when John Cleese was on the show (despite the guests contract stating that eh works with "the frog, the bear, and the ugly disgusting one who catches cannonballs").