"A tribute to Sherlock"

superfan

Reaction score
I believe there's a discussion on this book on toughpigs.com! Quite funny!

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
The book you're talking about has the same story as the sketch with Herry just described.

And Sherlock Hemlock was a great character. I definitely remember the sketch with Bert and Ernie at the beach (I've got the video clip! :stick_out_tongue: :frown: ) and the CaveMan Days sketches. Those were great.

Sherlock also showed up as a contestant on one of Guy Smiley's game shows one time - I believe it was Mystery Guest. Cookie Monster, Don Music and Sherlock Hemlock had to guess the mystery letter. They all got it wrong and it turned out to be an "X", which quickly left at the end to take its place in the word "Exit" on the sign.

Does anyone remember the kinda creepy horror type segments that would start with the name of the sketch on a gravestone? It was the ones with "Vincent Twice, Vincent Twice" as the host. I'm not positive, but I'm thinking these sketches starred Sherlock Hemlock and his dog, Watson. Come to think of it, I think I almost remember one of those sketches. The dog figured out the case before Sherlock Hemlock ever did and tried to tell him all along. That was a good sketch too. :smile:

BEAR

Reaction score
GonzoLeaper said:
The dog figured out the case before Sherlock Hemlock ever did and tried to tell him all along. That was a good sketch too. :smile:
I think that happened most of the time.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Rosewood said:
Here's a challenge to throw to you guys. Who remembers the one where a little boy walks by a house, looks at the ground, and notices various party things scattered about, such as baloons, wrapping paper, streamers, (possibly left-over cake) but, (most importantly) birthday cake candles. Speaking out loud to himself, he basically says something like "Gee, I wonder what happened here?" At which point, Sherlock makes his grand apearance and offers to "solve the mystery!"
The boy says "O.K." and Sherlock starts listing the clues: the baloons, the wraping paper, the streamers, (possibly the cake) but, (most importantly!), the candles! Taking all these things into concideration, he then comes up with the following answer: "There was a party here. But It wasn't just any old party; it was a Twiddlebug party, complete with baloons, streamers, preasants and all. But half way through the party, a big, hairy monster showed up, and, angry that he hadn't been invited, he began to pick up the candles and proceeded to throw them at the Twiddlebugs, at which point they all ran away, with the monster chasing after them! And there you have it: the reason why all these things are lying on the ground, but there is no one here!" The boy, in the mean time, is trying to take all this in, when the door to the house opens and a little girl comes out, greets the boy and tells him its her birthday today, and asks him if he would like to come play with some of her presents with her. The boy gives Sherlock a glance, shakes his head at him, and then proceeds to follow the girl into the house. Poor Sherlock just cant figure out how he possibly could have been so far off from the truth, and, puzzled and dejected, leaves the scene, (stage left). A few seconds of silence go by when, suddenly from across the screen, (stage right) a bunch of Twiddlebugs appear, along with a big, hairy monster (in fact I think it actually is Harry) who is throwing candles and cursing at them for not inviting him to the party! (at which point the clip ends.) :stick_out_tongue:

I remember that skit quite well, with Sherlock using his brilliant powers of deduction, and the way the skit ended. First the boy (or was it the girl?) comes out and invites the girl (or was it the boy?) to see his birthday presents, leaving Sherlock alone. First the camera shows a tight close-up of Sherlock's face before slowly pulling back:

"But, no Twiddlebugs dancing?
No monster throwing candles?
No note for help?
Egad, how will I ever live this down? (Sniff!)"

Sherlock leaves, and there's a few moments of silence (very suspenseful)
then some eerie music starts playing, then the Twiddlebugs come in, and Herry starts throwing candles "Here's a candle for ya!!" Then jellybeans start raining from the sky. Very surreal, but I LOVED it!

I wish they would rescue Sherlock from Muppet Limbo and give him a new lease on life. If Jerry Nelson will only perform the Count these days, they could always bring back Peter Linz (Muppeteer in the late 80's/early 90's who went on to The Puzzle Place and Between the Lions) since his and Jerry's vocal range were pretty similar.

Rosewood

Reaction score
fuzzygobo said:
I remember that skit quite well, with Sherlock using his brilliant powers of deduction, and the way the skit ended. First the boy (or was it the girl?) comes out and invites the girl (or was it the boy?) to see his birthday presents, leaving Sherlock alone. First the camera shows a tight close-up of Sherlock's face before slowly pulling back:

"But, no Twiddlebugs dancing?
No monster throwing candles?
No note for help?
Egad, how will I ever live this down? (Sniff!)"

Sherlock leaves, and there's a few moments of silence (very suspenseful)
then some eerie music starts playing, then the Twiddlebugs come in, and Herry starts throwing candles "Here's a candle for ya!!" Then jellybeans start raining from the sky. Very surreal, but I LOVED it!
:smile: thanks so much for clarifying that! I knew that something was not quite right about the way I was remembering this, and your right about the jellybeans! I had totally forgot about that. ( with help from great people like you, I just might beat this "S.S. Alzheimers" yet! ) :wink:

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Dear Rosewood

I love sharing memories from days gone by. I'm the same age as you, and we're lucky to be old enough to remember when skits like these were brand new! And I can't remember what I had for breakfast, but I can remember miniscule details from a clip I haven't seen since Carter was in the White House.

Maybe with your help, I'll beat the Alzheimer's rap too! :sleep:

God bless and keep you :smile:

salemfan

Reaction score
Does anyone remember the kinda creepy horror type segments that would start with the name of the sketch on a gravestone? It was the ones with "Vincent Twice, Vincent Twice" as the host. I'm not positive, but I'm thinking these sketches starred Sherlock Hemlock and his dog, Watson. Come to think of it, I think I almost remember one of those sketches. The dog figured out the case before Sherlock Hemlock ever did and tried to tell him all along. That was a good sketch too. :smile:
YES! Mysterious Theater was the name of the series.

wiley207

Reaction score
As a kid, I mostly remember Sherlock Hemlock from "Mysterious Theater," particularly two sketches I distinctly remember watching, the "Circle Search" and "Missing Toast" ones (the latter was obviously due to the twist ending where Vincent Twice was the culprit, and was my favorite one as a result). I also did a YouTube Poop on that one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjeIL5sWlis