Some poor assumptions some non Sesame Street fans have made

BooberFraggless

Reaction score
Dont you just hate it when somebody thinks they know something about Sesame Street, and they argue with you about it, and you know that your'e the hardcore fan and the one who's right? It has happened to me in the past. For instance some people think Elmo has always been there, right from the beggining of the show's run. They have no clue how untrue that really is. I try explaining to them that Sesame Street began in 1969, and Elmo didn't join the show until 1985. Also whenever I try to tell somebody about Herry Monster, they think I'm talking about Cookie Monster. They say "Oh yeah, you mean Cookie Monster?" Also some people think Miss Piggy Fozzie, Gonzo and the rest of the muppets are all on Sesame Street and it's just one big show. I try to explain to them that Sesame Street and The Muppets are 2 completley different sets of charachters, with the exception of Kermit. Some people make me mad, but I guess you can't expect everyone to be a SS fan.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Well, in response to your comment about Elmo, he has been around a lot longer. It's just that Kevin Clash didn't perform the Elmo we know today until 1985.

I see what you mean though. I remember once at work, some people were talking about "The Muppet Show" and someone mentioned that it was still on and they mentioned Cookie Monster being on it. Plus, I remember when the SS cast appeared on "The West Wing," somebody mentioned Miss Piggy and Fozzie appearing on "Sesame Street" and the other girl corrected her by saying that Kermit was the only crossover.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I hate it when that happens as well. Even David Hyde Pierce believes Animal is on Sesame Street. I once remember a Sesame Street item up on eBay, however, the item's page had The Muppet Show theme playing in the background.:grouchy:

EDIT: Daffyfan Ziffeled me!

BEAR

Reaction score
Oh well...people just don't understand. It's like that whole thing where people don't consider the Sesame Street characters to be "The Muppets" simply because they weren't on The Muppet Show or they don't hang out with Miss Piggy and stuff. If only they took the time to notice that they were all created by Jim Henson and that in the credits it says "featuring Jim Henson's SESAME STREET MUPPETS".

You would think however that some people would have basic knowledge of who some of the characters are though.

As I say, you can't expect everyone to be just like us. We are a rare group.

anythingmuppet

Reaction score
I guess some people dont really care if they mix em together. I just correct em if they do. I guess its like a 'racial slur' just..um..a 'Muppet Slur?'

BEAR

Reaction score
I mean some of these guys are the same people that make comments about Ernie and Bert being gay, because they don't care to find out more and know otherwise.

BooberFraggless

Reaction score
BEAR said:
I mean some of these guys are the same people that make comments about Ernie and Bert being gay, because they don't care to find out more and know otherwise.
Wow, this is so ironic, I was just in a chat room on Yahoo, and I was talking about Ernie and Bert, saying how I liked Bert better, but they hardly ever use him on the show anymore. And someone said "aren't they gay" Iv'e heard people say the same stuff about Mr. Rogers. I guess there's 2 types of people in this world narrow minded and open minded. Unfortunatley the majority of the world is narrow minded, and only a select few are open minded. I like it here because it's a select few group we have going here.

Censored

Reaction score
A lot of people also mistakenly think that "Who Are The People In Your Neighborhood" is a song by Mister Rogers instead of Bob on Sesame Street.

BEAR

Reaction score
BooberFraggless said:
Wow, this is so ironic, I was just in a chat room on Yahoo, and I was talking about Ernie and Bert, saying how I liked Bert better, but they hardly ever use him on the show anymore. And someone said "aren't they gay" Iv'e heard people say the same stuff about Mr. Rogers. I guess there's 2 types of people in this world narrow minded and open minded. Unfortunatley the majority of the world is narrow minded, and only a select few are open minded. I like it here because it's a select few group we have going here.
Its ridiculous, especially since there is nothing about Fred Rogers that even has the hint of gay. Just because a man is warm and gentle and loves children makes him gay? Oh bother... The guy was married and wasn't he a minister?

Xerus

Reaction score
I also remember Jay Leno talking about Sesame Street and he made a Miss. Piggy joke. Miss. Piggy is not a SS character.