The first 25 years

Drtooth

Reaction score
The demise is an opinion question. I did see the changing of the theme song has a huge turning point (and warning sign, heh).

Exactly. Demise is a harsh word. the changes that really messed around with the show, IMO:

• The passings of Jim Henson, Joe Raposo, Richard Hunt, as well as Jon Stone in a short ammount of time.
  • The addition of Elmo's World in 98
  • The addition of structural segments (which they seem to be taking down now) in season 33 or so.

A few changes from the first seven years:

First season: Buddy and Jim

Second season: replaced by Larry and Phyllis
Also: a bend put in the street, with the arbor area

Third season: replaced by Wally and Ralph (which was more similar to the first pair than the second pair.)
That really seems like one of their experiments they tried that didn't seem to work. Personally, I really don't miss them at all. I don't know the reason they were added or the reason they were taken away, but it seems that when more regular muppets were added to the show, and recurring Muppet segments were developing, there was less room for humans doing sitcom-y type jokes like that. I do admit, from what I've seen of Buddy and Jim, it's kinda funny. But it almost seems like it should be in another show.

PinballStewie

Reaction score
SS's "demise" (in my opinion)

The true "demise" of Sesame Street for me would be the '90s. 1990 is when it started since that's when Jim Henson and (I think) Joe Raposo died, though some of the number segments from that year were pretty cool like the one where numbers turn into animals (starting with # 1 holding an umbrella and ending with # 20 as a swan-type thing standing next to what appears to be an anthropomorphic pool).

'91 on up, though, is when things REALLY went downhill. Elmo's introduction in '85 wasn't bothersome since Kevin Clash performed so many other great characters (esp. Hoots the Owl!) and since Elmo was the only Muppet that "acted his age" (a 3-year-old that acted like a 3-year-old; IMHO even Big Bird didn't really "act his age") at the time. The introduction of more Muppets of Elmo's ilk (Rosita, Baby Bear, Zoe, etc.) was what I found disappointing. At least in the early to mid-'90s they still had a love of rock music since they parodied Spin Doctors, Pearl Jam, and Counting Crows (and The Police!), and since segments like "Wet Paint" were still airing. By the late-'90s, though, it just kept going down; "Elmo's World" debuted and there was (regularly) only one letter and number per day. By the 2000's... well it just wasn't ever the same again; Frank Oz and Jerry Nelson had both quit performing :frown: and the original quirky, random, and (initially) "Laugh-In" inspired show SS once was seemed to be turned into a structured, predictable, and not-so-quirky show. With all the PC-ness in SS now, I'm surprised the Bellhop segments are still airing since the bellhop gets maimed or hurt in some way in nearly every segment (except maybe # 20). That's not to say I don't love the Bellhop 'toons (and every other classic SS segment), I think they're great! :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
The true "demise" of Sesame Street for me would be the '90s. 1990 is when it started since that's when Jim Henson and (I think) Joe Raposo died, though some of the number segments from that year were pretty cool like the one where numbers turn into animals (starting with # 1 holding an umbrella and ending with # 20 as a swan-type thing standing next to what appears to be an anthropomorphic pool).

'91 on up, though, is when things REALLY went downhill. Elmo's introduction in '85 wasn't bothersome since Kevin Clash performed so many other great characters (esp. Hoots the Owl!) and since Elmo was the only Muppet that "acted his age" (a 3-year-old that acted like a 3-year-old; IMHO even Big Bird didn't really "act his age") at the time. The introduction of more Muppets of Elmo's ilk (Rosita, Baby Bear, Zoe, etc.) was what I found disappointing. At least in the early to mid-'90s they still had a love of rock music since they parodied Spin Doctors, Pearl Jam, and Counting Crows (and The Police!), and since segments like "Wet Paint" were still airing. By the late-'90s, though, it just kept going down; "Elmo's World" debuted and there was (regularly) only one letter and number per day. By the 2000's... well it just wasn't ever the same again; Frank Oz and Jerry Nelson had both quit performing :frown: and the original quirky, random, and (initially) "Laugh-In" inspired show SS once was seemed to be turned into a structured, predictable, and not-so-quirky show. With all the PC-ness in SS now, I'm surprised the Bellhop segments are still airing since the bellhop gets maimed or hurt in some way in nearly every segment (except maybe # 20). That's not to say I don't love the Bellhop 'toons (and every other classic SS segment), I think they're great! :smile:
I always find it a cop out to blame other characters for SS's not being as good as it should be. I mean, both Jim and Richard passed on, so we lost so many characters from those 2 performers. Add to the mix, Frank had one foot out the door (directing) in the late 80's (you can tell, since that's where a lot of Solo Ernie skits came from). So basically, we had to work with new characters to fill in all those gaps. They even had Dave Golez in a few skits. A shame they didn't keep him.

While the 90's SS was a huge step in a bad direction, that's also when really terrible kid's shows were starting to edge out. Barney became popular about 1991 or 92, and then there was a flock of rediculously bad knockoffs of Barney as well. And Wimzy's House. Blech! Sorry. i had a sister born in 1990, so I had nothing but exposure to this crap.

The 90's was an awkward period of change for SS. It's tough to continue a series when you have a death of such an important figure (a leader or something), but to have multiple deaths affect the show you just can't continue the way you did. I feel they floundered around a couple years and then they added the Furry Arms, and the Down the Street character. That was a make or break moment. And from what I remembered and have seen, they really had some things back on track, while a few things were still off.

1998, the addition of Elmo's world was a huge move in the wrong direction. Now, they're trying to get out of it, and the little kids won't let them. Elmo's World, believe it or not, is turning 10 years this year. it's not in anyway a new segment.

The real backfall was post 2001. Staying very very apolitical here, and only bringing it up as a point, some experts wanted to add in "structure" so kids would feel more comfortable. The last bold thing they did in the series since was that "coping with Disaster" Hooper's Store catching on fire that season opener.

Now, since all these experts always take 2 meanings of one thing, Sesame Workshop has been afraid to do anything to "offend" or drive away viewers, thus ruining the essense of what they had. I still think they want to try hard to make the show what it once was, but now they painted themselves into a corner.

And I'll say what I've been saying for the past 8 years. SS is unfortunately one of the better Preschool shows out there. Did you see the other stuff? Ouch.