Pigs singing the Happy Wanderer

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
Oh, so you and I were both wrong in our memories Caroline? Because I could've sworn the mountain was bare briefly before the pigs appeared from my vague childhood recollections. So this means that the sketch is complete in this new youtube posting.

I sure wish they had done it the way we had both imagined though. Wouldn't it have been really interesting to have seen what they would have looked like appearing from the bottom of the screen one-by-one as they slowly climbed upwards?
Surely the Muppeteers could have been able to handle it perfectly well and it certainly would not have dragged the sketch out too long in any way whatsoever.

Don't you agree with me Caroline? :big_grin:

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
Incidentally I've also noticed Piggy's Trees song on youtube. I thought when she karate chopped the tree it fell over. Again my childhood memories were mistaken. It's slightly surprising to me that it doesn't happen that way though. That would be a perfect visual gag to accompany Piggy's line "Excuse me while I, ah, chop some wood." :big_grin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RP3v7svNdSo

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
It sure is William.

quote "You know what a tree would call you? A pine in the neck" LOL :big_grin:

Yva Minstrel

Reaction score
I do remember the 'Happy Wanderer' song. My husband said that that melody had German words to it, which reminded me very much of Germany or Austria because of the landscape they used. But, yes, I do remember that song and thought it was very clever.

Oh and if you have a code free DVD player, you can get a Netherlands released copy of the episode in question. There's a white colored set with 2 DVDs available here. Unfortunately the Ebay link I found only ships to Germany, so it might be a good idea to look around Ebay and see if there is someone who offers it.

Good luck. The John Denver episode is one of my favorites.

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
Hello Yva Minstrel. Welcome to our crazy piggy thread. Delighted to meet you. :smile:

And you're right. I do believe the song was written originally by a German person or persons and the English version came later. It was such a clever sketch indeed. Would be cool to hear the German translation of it. :big_grin:

Yva Minstrel

Reaction score
I will have to see if I can find a German version of that song here. Since the DVDs I have are done with Dutch undertitles, it would be rather hard to find it with a German voice over. But, I can see if I can find the lyrics of that song somewhere. My father-in-law is big into German 'Volksmusik' (that's an area of folk music in the German language), so he may be a good person to start with. I'll definitely keep you posted on that though.

I'm sure he's going to laugh at me...yes, I'm looking for a song sung by a bunch of pigs. :wink: hehehe.

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
That sounds cool Yva. Don't forget we need to know the German for "Watch your step" also. LOL :big_grin:

When you say Dutch undertitles does that mean your DVD is in the Dutch language? That'd be great also. :excited: Would you be able to somehow share a clip of the sketch in Dutch? I'm sure we'd all enjoy it. :cool:

Yva Minstrel

Reaction score
That sounds cool Yva. Don't forget we need to know the German for "Watch your step" also. LOL
I would say 'watch your step' could be rendered as 'pass auf wo du hingehst.' German is a wordy language.

When you say Dutch undertitles does that mean your DVD is in the Dutch language?
No, it's in English with the Dutch undertitles, which can be shut on or off, but no Dutch soundtrack.

Here is the Happy Wanderer in both English and German:

The Happy Wanderer

I love to go a-wandering
Along the mountain track
And as I go, I love to sing,
My knapsack on my back.

Falleri, Fallera,
Falleri, Fallera ha ha ha ha ha
Falleri, Fallera,
My knapsack on my back.

I love to wander by the stream
That dances in the sun,
So joyously it calls to me,
Come join my happy song.

Falleri, Fallera . . . .

I wave my hat to all I see,
And they wave back to me
And blackbirds all so loud and sweet
From every greenwood tree.

Falleri, Fallera . . . .

O may I go a-wandering
Until the day I die,
O may I always laugh and sing
Beneath God's clear blue sky.

Falleri, Fallera . . . .

~~
In German
Mein Vater war ein Wandersmann

Mein Vater war ein Wandersmann,
Und mir steckt's auch im Blut;
Drum wandr' ich flott, so lang ich kann,
Und schwenke meinen Hut.

Refrain 1:
Faleri, falera, faleri,
Falera ha ha ha ha ha ha
Faleri, falera,
Und schwenke meinen Hut.

Refrain 2&3:
|: Hei-di, hei-da, hei-di, hei-da!
Und schwenke meinen Hut. :|

Das Wandern schaffet frische Lust,
Erhält das Herz gesund;
Frei atmet draußen meine Brust,
Froh singet stets mein Mund:
Refrain:

Warum singt Dir das Vögelein
So freudevoll sein Lied?
Weil's nimmer hockt, landaus, landein
Durch and're Fluren zieht.
Refrain:

Was murmelt's Bächlein dort und rauscht,
So lustig hin durch's Rohr,
Weil's frei sich regt, mit Wonne lauscht
Ihm dein empfänglich Ohr.
Refrain:

D'rum trag ich Ränzlein und den Stab
Weit in die Welt hinein,
Und werde bis an's kühle Grab
Ein Wanderbursche sein!
Refrain:

~~
As with any language the lyrics are a bit different because of things being lost in translation, but the English version looks like the version that the pigs sang in that episode.