Flippersteps in the Sand

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Idle threats that keep getting in the way... Why must you torture the queen this way?
Just post more... They'll never know... At least, they won't hear it from me.

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Chapter Twenty-Two

One Month and One Day Later
August 7, 1971

House shopping was a very interesting concept to little Robin. To start with, until this visit with Kermit, he had never been inside of a real house. But they were visiting three houses today, and Kermit had a feeling he would end up buying one of them. He wasn’t sure which one.

The real-estate agent met them in front of the first house, and immediately reminded Kermit that this house was a little out of his price range. Then she began the tour.

“Now as you can see, it has this nice sturdy porch, with an overhang, and it’s the full width of the house. Now we’ll go inside… There’s the bathroom on the left, living room on the right. Nice big windows, as you see. Now, past the bathroom is the kitchen, with room for a table. Two smaller windows, there and there, lots of cabinet space as you see. The stairs are over here, back of the living room. If you’ll follow me up the stairs, please…”

Kermit held Robin’s hand as they sped through the small house and headed up the stairs. “What do you think so far, Robin?” he asked quietly.

Robin stopped and smiled. “Half-way!”

The tour continued on the second floor. “Full bathroom here on the right, with a shower, sink, toilet, linen closet. Bedrooms are here and here, both with closets. This one has two larger windows, that one has two smaller windows. And here we have an extra storage closet. Any questions?”

There were none.

“Great! Let’s go look at the yard.”

Is there a yard?” Kermit asked.

“Well, there’s the front yard.”

“Well we already saw that.”

“All right then, let’s go to the next house!”

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~​

The second house did not look as good from the curb as it did on paper. The photograph had not revealed the moldy siding, the peeling paint, or the mess of ugly rocks that filled the postage-stamp sized yard. When the real-estate agent’s foot broke through the first porch step, it was clear that most of the wood was rotted through.

“Well,” she said, “At least we know why it’s so inexpensive!”

Kermit scrunched up his face. “I think we’ve seen enough,” he said. “Let’s go to the next house.”

They circled the house before entering. “Now as you can see, it’s a very large lot,” the agent said.

Kermit nodded. “It’s a much bigger yard than the first house,” he said.

“Yes, it is. Shall we go inside?”

They crossed the small stone patio and walked through the door.

“Now this is the kitchen, with a coat closet to the left. As you can see, it’s very big, lots of space. Moving right along, the living room is here, also very big, nice big windows. Bathroom is here, with a shower, bathtub, sink, toilet, linen closet. Bedroom here, master bedroom there, the only difference being that the master bedroom has a walk-in closet, and the other bedroom does not. Any questions? No? Well then great! Now all you have to do is decide.”

Kermit thought about it as they walked slowly towards the door. He liked this house. It had a big yard, big windows, and storage space to spare. He could imagine himself living here. He stopped and crouched down to his little nephew’s level. “Well, Robin? What do you think?”

Robin was looking around, confused. “Uncle Kermit?” he asked quietly. “Where are the stairs?”

Kermit hesitated. “Well- there are no stairs, Robin. There’s only one floor,” he explained.

Robin looked up at him and frowned. “Oh,” he said. “I liked the stairs.”

Kermit thought about it and decided, he could see himself living at the first house, too.

“Uncle Kermit?” Robin asked when they were back at the apartment. “Are you gonna move everything here into the house?”

“Well not everything,” Kermit said. “But I haven’t exactly decided what not to bring.”

“Can I help?” Robin asked.

“You mean right now?” Kermit said.

“Yeah! Please?”

Kermit shrugged. “Well sure, I guess.”

They opened up the closet and started sorting through the boxes. Robin pointed to every label. “What’s that say?”

“That says Christmas.”

“What’s in it?”

“Christmas decorations.”

“Are you gonna keep it?”

“Yeah, probably.”

“What’s that say?”

“It says… Old Scripts- Hey, Cinderella!”

“What’s in it?”

“Well, it’s a bunch of old scripts from Hey, Cinderella! That’s a special we did a few years ago.”

“Like the fairy tale?”

“Yeah, like the fairy tale.”

“What does that say?”

“That says… clothes.”

“What is it?”

“It’s an old suit I don’t wear anymore. I guess I don’t really need it.”

“What does that say?” Robin pointed at a white box.

Kermit gulped. Oops. He took a deep breath. “It says, Melinda and Ray.”

“Who are they?” Robin asked. “Are they inside the box?”

“Huh?” Kermit said. “No, they- they’re not in the box.” He frowned at the box and held it in his hands.

Robin watched him quietly. “Why are you so sad now, Uncle Kermit?” he asked softly.

Kermit took a deep breath and looked at his nephew. “Maybe… I should explain this,” he said slowly. He turned, walked out of the closet, went to the couch, and sat down. Robin followed him. “But… do me a favor, Robin?”

Robin looked up at him. “Yeah?”

“Try not to talk to anyone about this. Okay?”

Robin looked a little excited. “So it’s like a secret?”

“Yes,” Kermit said. “It’s a secret.”

“Does anybody else know it?” Robin asked.

“Well, yes, but- it’s kind of hard to explain who. So- Try not to talk about it. Okay?”

Robin nodded. “Okay, Uncle Kermit. I won’t tell anybody,” he said. “I’m good at keeping secrets.”

“Oh good,” Kermit said. He took a deep breath and looked at the box. “This might be hard,” he said. “I haven’t told anybody about this since… Well, since before you hatched.”

“You haven’t talked about it at all?” Robin asked.

“Well not very much,” Kermit said. “I’ve talked about it a little bit, but only to people who already knew. I haven’t told anybody, though.”

Robin looked up with his wide, innocent eyes. “Maybe you should,” he said.

“Maybe,” Kermit said quietly. “But it- it’s kind of hard to talk about it.”

Robin watched him and waited very patiently. He seemed to understand people in a way that many adults struggled to. It was really beyond his own comprehension. But he knew the difference between big emotions and small emotions, good emotions and bad emotions. He knew that what his uncle was about to explain was a really big, really bad emotion. And he knew that when somebody shared a really big, really bad emotion, he should be really quiet. So he was.

Kermit opened the box. “Melinda was my wife,” he said quietly. “I used to have a wife. She would’ve been your aunt. See, here- here’s a picture of her.” He pulled a photo-album out of the box and opened it up. “See? That’s Melinda. She- She was very beautiful.” He could feel the tears starting to come. “I… I love her… very much. And we… We had a son…” His eyes were wet now. He flipped through the photo-album. “There, see? That’s Ray. …That’s my son… He… He would have been your cousin.” He turned the pages one by one, smiling faintly at some of the pictures. “See this?” he pointed. “That’s our land. That’s… where we were going to… to build a house, when we had enough money. But…” He shook his head. “We never got enough money. We were so close…” His voice cracked, and the first tear escaped his left eye.

Robin stood up in his seat and wiped the tear away as gently as Kermit wiped his. He stayed on his feet, wrapped his arms loosely around Kermit’s neck, and leaned against him. “What happened?” he whispered.

Kermit closed the album and turned slightly to look at his nephew. “There was… an accident, Robin,” he said as more tears dripped. “A very… very bad accident. And they… they died.”

Robin frowned. “Died?”

Kermit nodded. “They died, they… They’re gone.”

“And… And they can’t come back?” Robin asked.

“No,” Kermit said. “They can never come back.”

“Never ever?”

Kermit shook his head. “Never ever.” He wrapped his arms around Robin and fought to hold back the bulk of his tears.

Robin cuddled closer to him. “Uncle Kermit?” he said. “What happened to all your other tadpoles?”

Kermit hesitated. “There was a storm… before they hatched, and they all blew away,” he said. “Every single one, except for Ray. He was the only one left.”

“That’s sad,” Robin said.

“Yes. It’s very sad.”

Robin let go of his uncle, wiggled out of his arms, and looked in the box. He pulled out a framed picture. “Is that you?” he asked.

“Mm-hm,” Kermit said. “That’s the three of us- me, Melinda, and Ray.” Kermit was in the center of the picture, with Melinda seated in front of him, and Ray on his shoulder. It was a professional portrait, taken just a month or so before The Accident.

Robin shuffled through the box and pulled out something soft. “What’s that?” he asked.

“It’s a teddy bear,” Kermit said. “It used to be Ray’s.”

Robin looked at it carefully. He hugged it, a loving, sympathetic hug, as if it had just awoken from a nightmare. Then he gingerly set it back in the box, turned, and solemnly looked up at his uncle. “I think we should keep this box,” he said.

Kermit smiled a frail smile at him. “I think so, too,” he said. He wiped the last of his tears away. “Let’s take a break and get some dinner. Okay?”

“Okay,” Robin said. They closed up the box and set it on the coffee table. “Uncle Kermit?”

“Yes, Robin?”

“How come you don’t have a ring?”

Kermit looked at him. “Pardon?”

“Well, Jim- I mean Mr. Henson- I mean… Jim…” Robin squirmed a little. “He has a wife, and he’s got a ring that means he’s married. I asked him about it once.”

Kermit nodded. “That’s right. Jim has a wedding ring,” he said.

“Well… If you were married, then- why don’t you have a ring?”

“Well it’s just different traditions,” Kermit explained. “Melinda and I didn’t have rings. Most frogs don’t. Your parents don’t have rings, and they’re married. Same with Grandma and Grandpa. But most humans get rings when they get married.”

Robin hesitated. “Okay,” he said.

Kermit nodded, then stopped. “You’ll remember not to talk about Ray and Melinda, won’t you?”

“Of course!” Robin said.

“Good,” Kermit said. “Let’s go get some dinner.”

They left the apartment and headed down the stairs, pausing only once- “Half-way!”

Muppet Matt

Reaction score
Poor Kermit!:cry: *Gives Kermit a hug*:frown: Great chapter Lisa I love the "Half-way" thing.:wink:

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
So... Guess the "Halfway" from Robin whenever there are stairs will become the newest running gag?
And there was a lot of courage on Kermit's part to open up that box and talk about Melinda and Ray to Robin... But the part I liked the most was when Robin took the teddy bear and gave it a hug, as if it awoke from a long nightmare... Now why does that remind me of your reactions to certain other stories?
Loved it, and I hope for more... Though I wonder just where the story's going. Don't get me wrong, it's great and we want more of course... But if it keeps going, then how will you spin it into a trilogy or even a quintology?

ReneeLouvier

Reaction score
*Hugs Lisa* Aw...such a sad...sweet chapter! *Is kinda speechless otherwise*

Beauregard

Reaction score
Hey Cinderella!!!

I'm sorry, I should be crying here, but, Hey Cinderella!

Ok, halfway, stairs, house buying, shoe through porch, and IS that the boading house or not? Then we have tears, lots of tiny tears, and Robin wiping them away, and OMG! No! You cannot use Teddy Bears to make me sad!!! I'd never do that to you! *innocent*

Hey Cinderella!!!

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
The Count said:
Though I wonder just where the story's going. Don't get me wrong, it's great and we want more of course... But if it keeps going, then how will you spin it into a trilogy or even a quintology?
A very good question! Hopefully, I've got a good enough answer to match it.

The trouble is, I can't very well tell you how I'll spin a whole series out of this without giving away the whole story. And believe me, I have no intention of doing that. But I do intend to answer your question. Am I confusing you yet?

Here's a rough outline of the parts:

Part One, Flippersteps in the Sand- History of the Muppets, focusing on Kermit's personal life, September 22 1963-October 24 2006, ending with a cliffhanger of a twist that you'll hate me for. That, or you'll hate certain characters. Or you'll just hate that it's how I end part one.

Part Two, Flippersteps of Dance- Follows the curve I threw you for at the end of part one, while creating more problems. You'll need your teddy bears for most of it. And you'll really, really hate me for some of it.

Part Three, One Flipperstep at a Time- Fixes all those problems I created in part two, but possibly leaves just one little hole for just one little problem, just in case you want part four.

Part Four? May or may not be written, may or may not be called Flippersteps Apart- Takes that one little problem, turns it into a big problem, and starts a really fun chain of events. Ushy-gushy fans would like this part, but it doesn't completely tie up all the loose ends.

Part Five? May or may not be written, possible title is confidential, just in case part four is written- Ties up all those loose ends, probably mostly comedy, pretty much just a feel-good-all-over part.

Part Six? May or may not be written, may or may not be called Forgotten Flippersteps- takes some itsy-bitsy loop-holes that you didn't notice, and explodes them into something huge.

There, see? I think that pretty much answered your question, but I didn't give TOO much away. At least I don't think I did. I hope I didn't. I love pulling the rug out from under you. Oh, I'm going to have so much fun!

Anyway, I'm not completely decided yet as to whether or not I'll write part four, much less parts five and six. I'm really leaving that up to all of you. We'll see, I guess. But what am I talking about? I've still got us in 1971, and here I am babbling about whether or not I'll delve into 2010! I've got some writing to do...

ReneeLouvier

Reaction score
Good gracious! *gears herself up for a good year or two of reading when it eventually comes to all that great reading coming out*

I can't wait!

Beauregard

Reaction score
Oh! Wow, exciting, 2010? What can happen between then and now? Loop-holes? Are they anything like worm-holes? Or Donut-holes?

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Well... Since you haven't let us down yet through all the heartbrakes and teddy bears and celebrations and all that other stuff... Trusting you to know what you're doing and I hope we get more story soon. The sooner you post, the sooner we can get to Part 2.