Read any good books lately?

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Currently reading "Crazy Love" by Francis Chan, which is actually a really great followup book to "The Ragamuffin Gospel" by Brennan Manning, which I just finished before this one.
"The Ragamuffin Gospel" reminds me of how much God loves me and that it is more amazing than I can ever comprehend. And it reminded me so well of what Romans explains, along with Ephesians 2:8-9 and other passages in The Bible. When we accept Christ as Savior, we are saved by grace alone- we are saved by putting faith in Christ and His death and Resurrection- it's not through any works of our own and nothing we do can change that.
"Crazy Love" kind of takes it to the next level- now that I've read Manning's book and been reassured of my salvation and the wonderful grace of Jesus that is greater than all my sins- and I've acknowledged that I still fall but God is still ready to forgive- "Crazy Love" reminds me that God is the holiest One of all, that He is omnipotent, all powerful, all knowing and incredibly awesome! The book reminds me of God's great love for me and the sacrifice He made to save me- and then it challenges me to really keep my priorities set right in this life and to remember that I need to live in the light of eternity and live wholeheartedly for Christ. The book reminds me that if I truly know Christ and love Him, then I should obey His Word out of gratitude and love to Him. Not that those good works do anything to affect my salvation one way or the other- but it does serve as proof that The Holy Spirit is working in me and that I am truly following Christ. John 15:8 and James 1:22 make this clear. And of course, these good works are the good works God had prepared in advance for me to do (Ephesians 2:10).
So basically- these are both great books and I would recommend both highly.:smile::wisdom::excited:

Gonzo's Hobbit

Reaction score
Right now I'm reading Frankenstien. It's a really good book but honestly I don't get were the sterotypes from Frankenstien come from. The whole reanimation of the creature doesn't seem to happen with this bug lightening scene, it actually read as being slightly anticlimatic. And the creature talks better that most people today it seems. But it's a really good book and I'm glad I found it really cheap.

JJandJanice

Reaction score
I'm currently reading one of the most well known graphic novels in Watchmen by Alan Moore. It started out a bit slow for my taste, but it's getting good and interesting. Very dark.

Puckrox

Reaction score
I'm currently reading one of the most well known graphic novels in Watchmen by Alan Moore. It started out a bit slow for my taste, but it's getting good and interesting. Very dark.
Mmmmmmm, Watchmen. So good. It does start out slow, but it gets REALLY good! Keep reading! Rorschach is my favorite super hero of all time.

JJandJanice

Reaction score
Mmmmmmm, Watchmen. So good. It does start out slow, but it gets REALLY good! Keep reading! Rorschach is my favorite super hero of all time.
Rorschach is a VERY complex character, that is pure evil but in a good way. He's becoming my favorite character in the story by far as well.

Puckrox

Reaction score
Rorschach is a VERY complex character, that is pure evil but in a good way. He's becoming my favorite character in the story by far as well.
Oh no doubt about it. He has a very twisted/warped view of the world, but he has it for such good intentions. He's just trying to make the world a better place and his ideals/values are so concreted. Gaaaah, now I want to reread Watchmen! It's my favorite graphic novel. How far are you?

JJandJanice

Reaction score
Oh no doubt about it. He has a very twisted/warped view of the world, but he has it for such good intentions. He's just trying to make the world a better place and his ideals/values are so concreted. Gaaaah, now I want to reread Watchmen! It's my favorite graphic novel. How far are you?
I have two more chapters to go.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
I'm currently reading "The Three Investigators in The Mystery of the Creep-Show Crooks" (#41 in the series.) This will be the last in the series that I have yet to read- so after this book, I will finally have read all of them.:smile:

Justoneperson

Reaction score
I just finished Home by Julie Andrews, and now I can't decide between Odd and the Frost Giants By Neil Gaiman, or How to Stop Acting By Harold Guskin.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
now I can't decide between Odd and the Frost Giants By Neil Gaiman, or How to Stop Acting By Harold Guskin.
Why not read both? At the same time!
Just read one sentence from one book and then jump to the other book to read a sentence there. Then jump back to the first book and read some and then back to the other book. It should make for a very interesting conglomeration of ideas- mainly: How To Stop the Frost Giants Odd Acting:crazy::big_grin: