Read any good books lately?

dwmckim

Reaction score
When i have more time/money to read more, that's how i tend to read: several books at the same time - a few chapters of one here and a few chapters of another there.

My most recent books have been all eight books in the Pretty Little Liars series by Sara Shepherd - which the ABC Family show was based on. I love the show - started watching because there were several actors in it i really liked and had no idea it would turn out to be as good as it's been! The show does spin the stories in different directions than the books so it's not spoiling things if you read the books. Even the central mysteries (who killed Alison & who is "A") will more than likely be different - or somewhat vary that the books so it's not bad to read them while watching the show. Both show and books are a total guilty pleasure.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I read all of the Scott Pilgrim books over my week of absence. Now I'm a bit obsessive :stick_out_tongue:

Gelfling Girl

Reaction score
In English class last week, we started reading an excerpt of Flowers for Algernon, and it was pretty good. Today, I just got a copy of the full book and started reading it.

Gonzo's Hobbit

Reaction score
In English class last week, we started reading an excerpt of Flowers for Algernon, and it was pretty good. Today, I just got a copy of the full book and started reading it.
Arrgg! They made us read that play in middle school. It was so sad I hated it. I dont like things that make me cry that much :cry:

I got a new book from some friends the other day. It's called "Reel Spirituality." It's about theology and how it relates to film. But what I like about it is that it's more in depth than other books and articles I've seen on the subject which are often very shallow when it comes to exploring the subject.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Sounds cool- I think you can find a lot of spiritual themes in movies. Although there is a balance between finding what truly is evidently there and just extrapolating beyond the scope of what the film is really meant to be - but then, as with all artistry, the interpretation really is in the eyes of the beholder despite what the artist may have even intended.
HollywoodJesus.com is a good site for comparing the Christian elements and themes in movies too.

crazed gonzo fa

Reaction score
I recently read Alone Against Tomorrow, a collection of short stories by Harlan Ellison. While the whole book was engrossing and well-written, and I did enjoy most of the stories, I found some of the others to be rather dissapointing and rather dry.

Slackbot

Reaction score
I recently finished The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. It's about the woman whose cancer cells became immortal in laboratories, creating HeLa, a cell line that has been indispensible in medical and other research. It's amazing stuff; it puts a human face on the issue, showing what her family has gone through, and it explains some very technical matters in a way that average humans can understand.

Puckrox

Reaction score
I'm currently reading Water for Elephants. It's heart-stoppingly good.

Gonzo's Hobbit

Reaction score
I'm reading the second book in the Star Wars trilogy I'm going through. It's called Dark Force Rising. If the first book was any indication this next book should be great.