Wearin' O the Green (For St. Patrick's Day)

Muppetfan44

Reaction score
Cute Story

Love it as always, Ru! Can't wait to find out what Kermit thinks of Piggy's kissing booth! I'm pretty sure this story takes place before they're married but where exactly is it timeline wise; I'm thinking after Great Muppet Caper but before Muppets take Manhattan. Let me know and I can't wait to read more story

Also, anyone have any idea when Heart of Gold is going to be updated?

Have a great weekend everyone!
:smile:

Ruahnna

Reaction score
Consistently Inconsistent (a rant on canon)

Um, ahem. This is actually rather embarrassing to admit, but I don't actually feel compelled for ALL of my muppet stories to, um, nest into each other. (SORRY!)

The following are what I would consider my canon--Can't Help Lovin' that Frog of Mine, A Pig Out of Water, Somebody's Getting Married, Getting Swamped and The Party of the Second Part, You're Not the Boss of Me and Kermie's Girl.

In response to any accusation that I seem to feel free to ignore internal consistency in order to tell a new or different story, I can only say, in my defence--THEY STARTED IT!

All of the other stories don't even necessarily go with each other!
Sometimes I have Piggy living in an apartment, sometimes in the boarding house. Sometimes, I embrace the boarding house (at my own risk, I might add) and other times I sort of look the other way and whistle. I almost always write the characters in the same way except for the pertinent facts about where they live and whether or not their relationship has changed or progressed. For example, Rowlf will always be Rowlf, his lovable, irascible self--friend to Kermit and appreciator of female, well, anything. Gonzo will always be, um, gonzo-ish. Rizzo will always be hungry--at least, as long as Chef runs the kitchen.

As the reigning queen of ush-gush (a dubious title, I assure you), you can always assume that Kermit and Piggy are going to hanker for each other--admittedly or no--but ultimately and eventually happily. Stories like, um, let me think, oh!--What an Angel and Cold Hands, Warm Heart and The Party of the First Part--let's just say that, for me, those occur at some point BEFORE Kermit has wised up and popped the question. (And yes, I have several several versions of the proposal that I have not deigned to bore you all with--from shouted, furniture-flying arguments to very sweet and romantic--but I digress.) I try REALLY HARD to be consistent in my own canon, but that's just so I'm not crazed. You are free to feel crazed if you like--whatever makes you comfortable.

They only thing I've done that was genuinely sad or dark was Cheeky Frog, and it bothered me so much after I posted the first part that I had to "fix" it. I can't stand the thought that we can't let them have a happily ever after after all they've been to each other.

Everything other than that--the core of ush-gush (which, by the way, supplies a steady stream of clean, readily-renewable energy to the entire kingdom), anything can change. Robin can stay the same while Scooter is allowed to grow up (how weird is THAT?), Pepe can appear on TMS, TMS can show up as a back-drop for any story ANY TIME regardless of when the show went off the air. I can treat the "theatre show" as a "television show" or ignore the television show aspect altogether. (See how complicated this can get?) I am happy to treat IAVMMC as a real occurance or a movie at my whim--and yours.

I guess the message I'm sending is this: I have an imagination and I'm not afraid to use it! But the moral of the story is: SO DO YOU! So..... GET CRACKING!
:coy:
And yes, I probably SHOULD get out more. I'll let you know how that works out for me....

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
*Thanks Aunt Ru for the explanation above... And assures her that we understand fully as we've come to love her writings awaiting anxiously for the next update to any of the previous tomes she's started in need of complimentary chapters. *Buys a cup of home-made coffee from Jim's establishment in town leaving it at Ru's desk or nightstand before disappearing on my merry way.

BeakerSqueedom

Reaction score
<3 Oh Ruh, yay for expressing yourself!
:0 No matter what you say, darling, I am still reading your fabu fics.

-nod-

Now, get on with your writing. -nudges her happily-
:big_grin:

Bwahahah! :big_grin:

Muppetfan44

Reaction score
Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Happy St. Patrick's Day Everyone!
May your neighbors respect you
Troubles neglect you
Angels protect you
and Heaven accept you!:coy:

Oh and Ru, I hope my question the other day didn't upset you. I was just curious and I in no way meant to offend!

:smile:

Ruahnna

Reaction score
Happy St. Patrick's Day

Oh and Ru, I hope my question the other day didn't upset you. I was just curious and I in no way meant to offend!:smile:
Not at all, dearie--not in the least. I was just pointing out how ridiculously compulsive I can be about some things, and so completely non-compulsive (uncompulsive? discompulsive? Sheesh--now I'll have to look it up!*) about others.

When you write with someone else's characters, I think it's important to understand that your take on them will be unique to you. That's why I was trying to "come clean" about the fact that--while I'm very emphatic about some characteristics in these characters, other things don't bother me if they shift or even change completely! In fact, I'm often amused by my ability to completely ignore inconvenient facts--like the one I cited about Robin remaining very young--while I've not had any problem growing Scooter up to the point that he could be an interesting adult character (in KG--but not in this story! LOL!) And yet--and yet!--I'm still struggling with a story about Robin during his teenage years simply because I can't decide whether I ought to have Robin living with Kermit and Piggy ALL the time or only during school holidays. (Talk about compulsive!) Some writers will take Kermit and company to completely new places both physically and emotionally, but have a cow if someone mentions Kermit's "teeth" or Piggy's "eyebrows." (Would this be called "having a sacred cow"?) Still, most of us feel perfectly free to romantically entangle ANY of the characters with established characters or with our own OCs without so much as a stray qualm. (Qualms, as you probably know, usually travel in packs.)

Anyway, this sort of rumination is interesting to me as a writer, but perhaps NOT as interesting to you (and others) as readers, so I will conclude, and promise to make up for my wild, tangental journey here by finishing this story before St. Patty's day is over. As Piggy would say (and certainly do!), kissy kissy to all of you and a Happy St. Patrick's Day!

*which is exactly what a compulsive writer-type like me would do!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi... If you're looking for a good fanfic to help at least show you one possibility for that Robin story Aunt Ru... I suggest greenstuff's Once Upon My Heart. *Goes to check on other tale threads for updates... And maybe come back to this one too.

Ruahnna

Reaction score
Chapter 9: To the Rizzo Go the Spoils

For a fellow who had spent most of the day submersed in a vat of lime green jello, Gonzo looked pretty natty. His lime-and-coral-striped pants were neatly creased and his butter-yellow shirt had been impeccably ironed. He did take the precaution of tucking his shamrock and daisy embroidered necktie inside said shirt while he waited for the start bell.
Next to him, Rizzo sat in his lime-Jell-o-splattered t-shirt and slicked back his hair, ready for anything. Sweetums cast an impressive shadow over both hopefuls, and dwarfed the two men on his other side. One had his long hair pulled back into a neat pony-tail beneath a baseball cap that had been turned backwards and the other had shouldered out of a green watch-plaid jacket and handed it off to his girlfriend.
“Hey,” said Rizzo. “Where are all the womenfolk?”
Gonzo looked at him sadly. “Don’t you know anything?” he said. “If women eat pie like this, they do it after everyone else has gone to bed.”
Rizzo shrugged, then sniffed the air appreciatively. “More for me,” he said. “But if Miss Piggy had entered, we’d all be toast.”
Gonzo gave a small snort. “I think Piggy’s too busy for pie, today,” he said, and Rizzo cleared his throat and nodded.
A young man approached the microphone and tapped it a couple of times with his finger. “Is this on?” he asked, then jumped back as it screeched in protest. When the wail had died away, he approached it again cautiously. “Testing,” he muttered. “One, two, three—and hi, folks! Welcome to the St. Patrick’s Day pie-eating contest. Some of Hensonville’s best bakers have been working hard all week to provide the pies for this year’s contest. Let’s hear it for them, okay?”
People clapped politely, and a couple of kids yelled, “You go, Mom!” The young man laughed.
“Okay. You know the rules, right fellas? No throwing, no fighting and—oh, that’s right—there’s a new rule for this year’s contest—no hands.” The contestants all blinked in surprise, then the man at the end of the row took off his necktie and unbuttoned his collar with a determined air. People cheered. Not to be outdone, Gonzo took off his necktie and threw it over his shoulder. It landed on the young man with the microphone, who removed it from his shoulder and laid it on a table behind him. More cheering, and then Kermit stepped up to the mike.
“Okay, guys,” he said. “We want a fair contest. On your mark, get set—eat pies!”
They were off, face first into whatever sort of pie had been laid in front of them. Rizzo made short work of his apple pie, and Gonzo slurped up his lemon meringue with alacrity. Sweetums grasped the whole pie tin between his teeth and flipped it down his enormous maw. The two men on the end had tackled their treats with equal gusto and in less than a minute, five new pies were on the table.
Kermit watched with pleasure, liking the old-fashioned holiday feel. What a great day of wholesome entertainment this was turning out to be! Runners removed empty pie tins, replaced them with fresh pies and kept counting their fingers with obsessive attention to detail. The stack of pies behind the table decreased, and so did the speed with which the pies on the table were being consumed.
The man with the baseball cap had been presented with a pistachio pie, which was obviously not his favorite, but he chewed gamely. Still, he lost enough time to see the writing on the wall—even if it was in meringue. He held up his hand in resignation and was greeted with polite clapping and a steaming hot towel to clean up with.
Sweetums was having a little trouble with the no-hands rule, but he was having even more trouble with the don’t-eat-the-tins rule. Eventually he, too, resigned from the contest to pick the aluminum foil out of his big teeth, and was handed a steaming hot towl of his own. He groomed his face and hands carefully and ate the towel thoughtfully.
“That’s okay, buddy,” said Beauregard. “You did great.”
Gonzo and Rizzo and the man in what had once been a snowy shirtfront were eating with dogged determination now, mouths working with furious force to subdue and consume the flaky crusts and sweet fillings.
This contest always drew a big crowd because once the winner had been declared the spectators were invited to line up for pie. Kermit watched, hoping for a little sweetness himself.
Things were pretty even until, halfway through a key-lime pie, Gonzo began to falter.
“Too much,” he muttered dazedly, slipping sideways in his chair. “Too much lime….”
“Hang in there buddy!” said Rizzo around a mouthful of cherry cobbler. At least, Kermit assumed that was what he said, for the actual words came out rather mushy.
“Can’t…hold on,” said Gonzo. “Too much…going—“
“Don’t give up now!” Rizzo said. “We’re just hitting our stride!”
But Gonzo was indeed showing signs of giving up.
“Go…on…without me!” he panted. “Save yourself!” He fell with a thunk beneath the table.
The man at the end of the table looked relieved. A pretty little brunette at the end was holding his jacket and cheering him on, but he was obviously slowing down. Rizzo spared a glance of concern for Gonzo, then looked his last competitor in the eye and dived, face-first into a coconut cream.
“I luff conconuth cremf!” he moaned happily, and set himself to the task.
Three-quarters of the way through a luscious-looking blackberry pie, the man at the end of the table looked up at his pretty girlfriend with a hangdog expression.
“Oh!” she squealed. “It’s okay, Jakey-poo! You’re gonna get a ribbon and a big kiss anyway!”
Jakey-poo threw in the towel, toweled off and collected his reward—from the judges, and then from his girlfriend. Only Rizzo remained.
It took them a couple of minutes to find the little rat in the deep swells of coconut cream, but he emerged triumphantly to collect his ribbon—before diving back in to finish his pie.
Kermit laughed, patted him on the back and got in line for a piece of pie. He watched the man with the blue ribbon walk away with his little lady’s dark head on his shoulder and thought about Piggy. Maybe he would get two pieces of pie, he thought, and go and find his girl.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
*In the cue for some crust of pie, filling of fruit... Nice job there Gonzo. Heh, guess he needs a bit of air to refill his lungs first. Kerm, you tried the shoo fly yet? *Waves at Claudia up ahead. Wha me? Nah, I could never do this competitive eating stuff... My trick throat you know. *Collects a piece of 4 and 20 Blackberry pie and a big glass of milk. Plenty to go around. We should save some for Ru though. Any idea which one she'd like? OK, thanks Riz, I'll get back in line later.

Muppetfan44

Reaction score
Great Addition!

Great Addition to the story. The Pie-eating contest with Gonzo and Rizzo pulling for one another was great and very typical of the dynamic duo! I can't wait to see what happens after Kermit finds Piggy at the kissing booth!

Great update and totally excited for more!

Muppetfan44
:wisdom: (a little over a month before i finally graduate!)
p.s. I love this forum; it's a great distraction from college!