Dark Crystal and Labyrinth Anniversary Edition DVD's

Status
Not open for further replies.

MuppetDanny

Reaction score
From Dvdactive.com
Sony Pictures Home Entertainment has announced an Anniversary Edition of Labyrinth which stars Jennifer Connelly and David Bowie. This two-disc edition will be available to own from the 14th August, and should retail at around $24.96. As well as an all-new transfer, the set features never-before-seen footage recovered from Jim Henson’s home in England, and 60 minutes of exclusive featurettes (including "Paper, Cloth and Creatures", and "Coming of Age") that include interviews with luminaries such as George Lucas and Brian Froud. Topping it all off will be some special lenticular packaging. Unfortunately we can't show you what that looks like yet, but we hope to have a packshot very shortly.

Also arriving on the 14th August will be a 25th Anniversary Edition of Dark Crystal which should keep fans of Jim Henson happy. The two-disc set will again feature an all-new digital transfer, along with footage recovered from Jim Henson's home, and 50 minutes of all-new featurettes (including "Creatures and Creations", "Lifelike Illusion", and "Singular Vision and the Kingdom United"). Again, the discs will arrive housed in special lenticular packaging. Stay tuned for the artwork, and further details as we get them.
source : http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/anniversary-editions.html
This is going to be great! :excited:

MuppetDanny

Reaction score
Additional

Labyrinth Press Release:

Culver City, CA (06/04/2007) – Join the journey through this twisted maze of events “where everything seems possible and nothing is what it seems,u201D with Jim Henson’s LABYRINTH ANNIVERSARY EDITION, available from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment on DVD August 14th for the SLP of $24.96. Starring GRAMMY®-winning rock legend David Bowie (Best Music Video, Short form, David Bowie, 1984) and Academy Award®-winner Jennifer Connelly (Best Actress in a Supporting Role, A Beautiful Mind, 2001), this genre-bending fairytale was directed by Jim Henson and produced by Henson with Academy Award®-winner George Lucas (Irving G. Thalberg Memorial Award, 1992), and includes an original soundtrack written and performed by David Bowie. The LABYRINTH ANNIVERSARY EDITION includes 60 minutes of exclusive featurettes, including all-new interviews with executive producer George Lucas as well as the film’s creators, puppeteers, and others behind the magic. Along with an astounding array of recently rediscovered footage, new high definition transfer and new stylized packaging make this DVD a must-own for a generation of film fans.

Synopsis:

Labyrinth tells the story of Sarah (Jennifer Connolly), a young teenager with an active imagination, who, when frustrated with babysitting her baby brother, summons the goblins to take him away. Be careful what you wish for, because when little Toby disappears, Sarah must follow him into a puzzling fantasy world to rescue him from the Goblin King (David Bowie). Guarding the castle is The Labyrith itself: a complex and twisted maze of trickery, including outrageous characters and inexplicable dangers that Sarah must get through in time to save Toby.

Starring David Bowie and Jennifer Connelly, produced by Jim Henson and George Lucas and directed by Jim Henson.

DVD Bonus Features

Newly Rediscovered footage recovered from Jim Henson’s home in England

60 minutes of featurettes, new interviews of the writers and performers behind the magic including:

George Lucas (Executive Producer)
Brian Henson (Hoggle/Goblin Voice/Puppeteer/CO-CEO, The Jim Henson Company)
Brian Froud (Conceptual Designer/Supervisor)
Karen Prell (The Worm/The Junk Lady/Firey 2)
Dave Goelz (Didymus/The Hat/The Guard/L. Doorknocker/Firey 3)
Mira Velimorivic (Jim Henson’s Creative Assistant)
Gates McFadden (Choreographer)
Toby Froud (Toby)
Jane Gootnick (Senior Puppet Builder)

Rated: PG
Color
Closed Captioned
Running Time: 96 minutes

The Dark Crystal Press Release:

Culver City, CA (6/4/07) – Become part of Jim Henson’s world and experience the mystical realm of imaginative creatures, fantastical journeys, and the fight between light and dark with THE DARK CRYSTAL 25TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION, available on DVD from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment on August 14th for the SLP of $24.96. Directed by Jim Henson and Frank Oz ( Little Shop of Horrors, Indian in the Cupboard), THE DARK CRYSTAL 25TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION sets the highest standard for audio and video available on DVD.

This special 2-disc anniversary edition features a new high definition film transfer, new commentary by Brian Froud, stylized new packaging, previously unreleased footage from the Henson archives and “Reflections on The Dark Crystal” featurettes that include all-new interviews with writers and performers behind the magic such as Brian Henson (son of Jim Henson and co-CEO of The Jim Henson Company), David O’Dell (Co-Writer) and many others.

Synopsis

In another time, the Dark Crystal was the Balance and Truth in the Universe, but it was destroyed and the world split into two factions led by the wicked Skeksis and the peaceful Mystics. Now as the convergence of the three suns approaches, the Crystal must be healed or darkness will reign forever. It is up to Jen, the last of his race, to carry out the prophecy that a Gelfing will return the missing chard of crystal and destroy the Skeksis’ evil Empire. But will Jen be up to the challenge of battling the unknown?

Directed by Jim Henson and Frank Oz with producer Gary Kurtz (Stars Wars, The Empire Strikes Back), this film is a fantasy masterpiece from the incomparable imagination of Jim Henson who has created some of the most inventive creatures ever. THE DARK CRYSTAL weaves the timeless myth of Good and Evil.

DVD Bonus Features

Rediscovered footage from Jim Henson’s home in England

“Reflections on The Dark Crystal” exclusive featurettes including all-new interviews with the writers and performers behind the magic including:

David O’Dell (Co-Writer with Henson)
Dave Goelz and Katheryn Mullen (Performers)
Brian Froud (Conceptual Designer/Supervisor)
Brian Henson (Son of Jim Henson)
Jane Gootnick (Senior Puppet Builder)
Mira Velimorivic (Jim Henson’s Creative Assistant)

Rated: PG
Color
Closed Captioned
Running Time: 89 minutes

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
Excellent! I am very excited. But wait, is the Froud commentary only on The Dark Crystal set?

Mistersuperstar

Reaction score
Woah. I have been dying to see more rare footage from Labyrinth. It was my favourite movie when I was growing up. I'm so excited, I feel like a kid again!:stick_out_tongue:

Laszlo

Reaction score
Wow! Sounds great!

I hope they'll include the complete Dark Crystal workprint this time, not just the few scenes as seen in the other DVD editions.
There is a cool scene in the beginning where we can see Jen swimming! He gets out of the water and plays the flute (as included in the regular cut). Then a Mystic appears calling him: " In your cave there is one who has need ... The storm comes..."
I hope this will be included...

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
Sweet cover art! I especially love the art for The Dark Crystal... dunno why, but the lack of Jen and Kira on the cover makes sense to me. Not that I dislike Jen and Kira, mind. Just... it seems right. I don't know.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
I LOVE IT! Oh this is gonna be great! I've been wanting to get Labyrinth on DVD, and there's no better time!

Status
Not open for further replies.