Your Thoughts: Country Favorite Songs DVD

minor muppetz

Reaction score
In the review, you mentioned that most of the old sketches are shown in the middle of the DVD. At first I thought that meant sketches from the early 1970s, but as I looked at the pictures from the songs, I noticed that there seems to be only two early 1970s songs: The Ballad of Casey McPhee and that Feelings cartoon (which I think looks like it was made in either the late 1970s or early 1980s). By "old" sketches did the review actually mean sketches that were from Sesame Street, as opposed to scenes made for the video? I noticed that most of the pictures look newer. And was "Froggy Went A'Courtin'" made especially for the DVD or was it actually performed on the show? I don't ever remember seeing that on Sesame Street, I don't recall reading about it ever being on Sesame Street, and the background sort of looked like the background used in other scenes pictured in the review.

I wonder who usually has more say in direct-to-video Sesame Street releases, Sesame Workshop or whatever company releases the video/ DVD. There were only a few DVDs before this that had bonus features (and many of the more recent DVDs seem more like the kinds that should have had bonus sketches, like A Celebration of Me, Grover!). It seems like most of the last few Sony Wonder releases focused a lot more on new material (though I haven't seen any DVD release from 2006, with the exception of Old School Volume 1). After seeing A Celebration of Me, Grover! I was convinced that Sesame Workshop would continue putting older segments on DVD, but then noticed that All-Star Alphabet focused on segments from the 1990s and 2000s (with the bonus sketches being the only classics included). This release proves that there are good chances of older material being included in non-Old School releases.

SSLFan

Reaction score
Does anyone have the Ready for School dvd yet?

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Unlike what we had hoped, the bonus material for "Ready for School" is the street segment of the 2006 episode when Abby Cadabby goes to school.

The main feature is a compilation of street segments from the past couple years that deal with school like Miles and Gabi graduating, Alan's School for Elmo, etc. There's some good stuff included, but no 70's or 80's Sesame Street.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Just bumpin' this thread up and I want to post my thoughts on the DVD. I liked it. Matt Vogel does a pretty darn good Elmo, if he lost the Southern accent. It was nice to see the Ballad of Casey McFee on DVD, but thet added sound effects to it. Plus, I don't think that the animatiosn during Johnny Cash's "Tall Tales" song were part of the original version. Plus I loved the bonus segments, especially It's Funny and The Ballad of Slippery Slim. In the end, it was a very nice DVd and I wish I had bought it, insted of getting it at the lirbrary.