Is there a link between Fraggle Rock and the Dark Crystal?

Infinity Sirius

Reaction score
I was watching Fraggle Rock Season 2 with the episode where Sidebottom, Boober's fun and wild side is introduced. To introduce the other Fraggles to Sidebottom, Booberasks them all to share his dream. They do this by touching their heads together as they sleep or dream-sharing I think in the same episode or another one from this season, Uncle Matt goes to a movie theater and watches the Dark Crystal. In DC, the Gelfings and share memories/images with each other by touching hands.

This made me wonder if Fraggles and Gelfings are somehow related, though distantly, to each other. Any thoughts?

VIsraWrats

Reaction score
:smirk: Well seeing that The Dark Crystal exists as a movie in the Fraggle universe I'd have to say that they are not related... but the whole dream sharing thing could very well have been inspired by The Dark Crystal.

CoOKiE

Reaction score
Actually.. there is... Not a big fan of the Dark Crystal so i can't point out the characters... but there are creatures in the Dark Crystal, that Jim Henson wanted the Fraggles to look like... THANK GOD he changed his mind.

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
The Podlings?

Wow.

Considering I find the Podlings creepy and unsettling, I would say that's a good thing. Where did you hear that, CoOKiE?

CoOKiE

Reaction score
I THINK it was on one of the DVD's as extras... not positive at all where i heard it.. but i remember it being offical Ask Foodie. Hes a HUGE fan of Fraggles, he'd know.

VIsraWrats

Reaction score
Actually.. there is... Not a big fan of the Dark Crystal so i can't point out the characters... but there are creatures in the Dark Crystal, that Jim Henson wanted the Fraggles to look like... THANK GOD he changed his mind.
Not exactly. Henson didn't wan't the fraggles to look like podlings. He originally wanted to call the podlings fraggles. You just had your facts a bit mixed up. :wink:

CoOKiE

Reaction score
i didn't know what the creatures were... but i coulda sworn it was the other way around... o well lol

minor muppetz

Reaction score
It is ironic that one epsiode showed a clip from The Dark Crystal as opposed to The Muppet Movie or The Great Muppet Caper. If it was one of the other two then Hit! might have had to cut that scene.

The 11th UrRu

Reaction score
I was watching Fraggle Rock Season 2 with the episode where Sidebottom, Boober's fun and wild side is introduced. To introduce the other Fraggles to Sidebottom, Booberasks them all to share his dream. They do this by touching their heads together as they sleep or dream-sharing I think in the same episode or another one from this season, Uncle Matt goes to a movie theater and watches the Dark Crystal. In DC, the Gelfings and share memories/images with each other by touching hands.

This made me wonder if Fraggles and Gelfings are somehow related, though distantly, to each other. Any thoughts?
Thats a great observation. I think its very possible that Jim might have got the idea from the Dark Crystal considering the two projects were produced relatively close together, but I dont think they were meant to be part of the same world. Could you imagine Doc answering the doorbell only to find Skeskis waiting for him? Maybe he'd send him next door to give Ned Shimilfinny a hard time...