What's the Deal with all These "What's the Deal with..." Threads?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
What's the deal with thanking someone for a compliment on something that you really had nothing to do with?

Take for instance, my hat, it's unique, not too many people outside of the Army wear - except for punks who like to wear cheap copies that are really more or less simple tobogans with bills sewn on them - so, naturally, people are going to tell me "oh, why that's a nice hat you have on", or "say, I really like your hat"... naturally, because someone is giving me a compliment, I have to say "thank you" out of common courtesy... but should I really be accepting such compliments? I mean, I wasn't the one who spent hours, and hours working my fingers down to the bone knitting up the hat for someone who would probably find himself in the Army one day.

Or take for instance in that Jarrod commercial where people at a ball, dancing, and a lady is showing off her new watch, people keep complimenting her on, and her replying with "Thank you... he went to Jarrod". See what I mean? She shouldn't be the one accepting the compliment, but rather, the people who toiled to manufacture that watch to be sold in Jarrod's.

Actually, when you really think about, people shouldn't even be making those compliments anyway, I mean, if they're going compliment on a certain item, then give you compliments to whomever actually made the item, not the person who just happens to be sporting it.

KnowwhutImean?

SSLFan

Reaction score
this is off topic but, wow....i never even remember posting in this thread, and it says I have six posts.:stick_out_tongue: :zany:

Teheheman

Reaction score
Um, the thing is that they weren't complimenting the maker, they were just saying that it was a nice hat. They were complimenting that you have nice taste in headwear. If they ask if you made it, just say no, I mean, if somebody said nice shirt to me, I'm not gonna get ticked and say "Listen you, if you were to thank ANYBODY, you should thank the millions of fricken chinese kids who gave their LIVES to make this fine shirt, you should be on the ground kissing their dirty, communist FEET like I do every stinkin day for this nice shirt that I probably paid WAY too much for" you say that, and people tend to look at you like you're crazy. Just take the compliiment and be glad somebody noticed.

Daniel

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Um, the thing is that they weren't complimenting the maker, they were just saying that it was a nice hat. They were complimenting that you have nice taste in headwear. If they ask if you made it, just say no, I mean, if somebody said nice shirt to me, I'm not gonna get ticked and say "Listen you, if you were to thank ANYBODY, you should thank the millions of fricken chinese kids who gave their LIVES to make this fine shirt, you should be on the ground kissing their dirty, communist FEET like I do every stinkin day for this nice shirt that I probably paid WAY too much for" you say that, and people tend to look at you like you're crazy. Just take the compliiment and be glad somebody noticed.

Daniel
You have no sense of humor, do you?

MrsPepper

Reaction score
Sure he does, I laughed quite a bit at Daniel's post. :big_grin: ><

Teheheman

Reaction score
What? You asked a question and I answered it.

Daniel

Beauregard

Reaction score
If I ask a question, will you answer it?

Why do birds?