What's the Deal with all These "What's the Deal with..." Threads?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
What's the Deal with Restrooms and Bathrooms?

First of all, when you're in public, everybody calls them "restrooms", but when you really think about it, that name is rather misleading, because it implies that the purpose of the room is for you to waltz right it, climb in bed, or pull up a chair, have a beer, watching TV, lye on a couch, take a nap, that sort of thing. When you go into a restroom, there's no resting involved!

Secondly, informally, everyone refers to it as the bathroom, now although that's more correct, it too is misleading a bit, because it implies that the purpose of it is for you to walk in and take a bath, and that's pretty much, when in fact, more people step into the bathroom to anything but 90% of the time.

So if you ask me, they shouldn't even be called "restrooms" or "bathrooms" at all, I'm thinking something more along the lines of "Striproom" because think about it, everytime you walk into a bathroom, you always drop your drawers, or take you clothes off for a shower. Or maybe something like "Funroom" because the possibilities are endless since a lot of people find taking baths or showers fun, and little kids ALWAYS flush stuff down the toilets, or let the sinks over flow. Or maybe even "Water-room" since everything in there has something to do with water - the sinks, the toilets, the tubs, the showers...

You know what I mean?

Teheheman

Reaction score
Seems to me I've heard this from a comedian somewhere before. Something about how restrooms are a misleading name because you assume that you're gonna see somebody sleeping in there or something, and there is no baths in there or something. I don't remember.

Daniel

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Seems to me I've heard this from a comedian somewhere before. Something about how restrooms are a misleading name because you assume that you're gonna see somebody sleeping in there or something, and there is no baths in there or something. I don't remember.

Daniel
That's kind of the point, I was thinking this exact same thing the other night, then I stopped and thought "whoa, that's something I'd hear from Jerry Seinfeld". Couldn't help but post it.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Sorry, but that cracked me up, D'Snowth!:zany: I used to overflow the sink.:stick_out_tongue:

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
You say a lot of things that crack me up! But I can't think of anything else to call it, though?

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
Here in Australia we just call them simply toilets, or if we are using our Aussie style language "dunnies".

Beauregard

Reaction score
Toilets, lavatories, water closets, gentlemen's, ladies', W'C's, loo, lav, reading room...there are all kinds of alternatives. We'd never call a toilet a bathroom over here, unless there was a bath...in the room.

lael

Reaction score
Here in Australia we just call them simply toilets, or if we are using our Aussie style language "dunnies".
~:excited:~ HA HA HA! DUNNIES! HA HA HA !~:excited:~

~ Restrooms, IMO became restrooms because of the need for females to have a place to rest in the beginning of the last century. You know, corsets and all, being prone to fainting and such. Some women's restrooms today still have chairs and couches in them & quite a bit nicer than those of the men's restrooms. I know because I've seen them. I'm guessing that the name just stuck. My friend Christine calls it a comfort room.

~ Restroom ~ denotes public facilities, seemingly more polite.
~ Bathroom ~ denotes residential facilities, more informal and personal.

My Bathroom is made up of three different rooms in the same room. The bath room, with glass walls for the bath & shower. The rest room, with the toilet & space for a bidet or another throne [propper walls with french doors]. The wash room, with the mirrored walls, vanity, chair and sinks.

Now, beings we are all throwing our two cents around, remember these are just my thoughts, not fact.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
That's very true, women's rooms do often have waiting areas.

The "Striproom" thing, it may be right technically. But I can imagine a lot of giggling going on...