Elmo's Christmas Countdown

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah... technically. It would be the first Non-Public television special in primetime, so let's leave it at that.

That said, if this does well, think about the possibilities. We may have a primetime major network (non-PBS) 40th anniversary special if this can prove that it can stand out on commercial TV. It has been a while since one of those has been on. Street we live on was PBS exclusive (not to mention it counted as an episode), but we really need a 40 years and counting special just like the ones they used to have.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I understand what you mean. I just keep thinking that even if the special is successful, it doesn't mean a genuine "40 years" special would be produced. It seems more important to keep Elmo in front. "Follow the money." Although, I have learned that anything is possible. I won't say "it will never happen." :smile:

Television, and particularly network TV, is just not a good state right now. The place to find the quality entertainment of the past is the web (and it's not always on the level, hehe). It's hard to predict what's going to happen. At least, I don't know, lol.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Spoiler Warning!

Highlight this box if you want to know what the show is about with your cursor. Again: SPOILER ALERT!

Stiller the Elf comes to SS to give Oscar the Grouch a box that contains the '10 Christmas Countdowns'. (No it's not the 10-days of Christmas.) The script's description is a little confusing as to how this box is. The script refers to boxes and windows but my best interpretation is that the larger box contains 10-smaller boxes and each has it's own window.

It was Oscar who was selected to open the 10 Christmas Countdowns.
Oscar refuses to do the 10 Christmas Countdowns.
And breaks into song; "I hate Christmas" then the box falls and the 10 Christmas Countdowns scatter about Sesame Street where Elmo and Abby collect them 1-by-1 for Stiller the Elf.

Without the 10 Christmas Countdowns, Christmas won't arrive.

When each little box is found it opens to reveal a separate Christmas story such as Brad Paisley,
The Sopranos actors or Big Bird and Gwyneth Paltrow who would sing; "I want a Snuffleupagus for Christmas" but from what I heard she pulled out of the show.

Jerry Nelson recorded his voice as the count, but is puppeteered by Matt Vogel.

Directed by this guy:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0357143/

D'Snowth

Reaction score
So... this really will basically be mostly about Elmo and Abby Cadabby then, eh? Figured.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Remember when Sesame Street was still about all the characters on the show? Even the human cast?

Barry Lee

Reaction score
This actually seems good, and personally, I mean it also has Oscar in it as well, and they have little vignettes supposedly, so I dont think it will revolve around Elmo & Abby. This seems like a campy 70's special though, hah.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Hmmm... Looks like we won't be seeing much of Jerry in this special. Just the Count's voice. Hopefully he'll be around during the season of the show.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Thanks for that, nice way to handle a spoiler, hehe. It seems OK, I like that they're using the I Hate Christmas Song. And that we'll at least her Jerry's voice. I'm disapointed that more characters won't be included.

The argument that "Well it's for a younger audience" is kinda strange. I watched classic Sesame Street when I was 1 and 2 (at least I'm told I did heh) and it didn't turn me off. I didn't have to wait until I was 4 or 5 to enjoy it. I wasn't desperate for an Elmo's World type segment. I really don't think kids change that much just because an expert says it's true.

Bottom line, I think it's too simple to say "kids like Elmo's World." There have always been kids who enjoy Elmo's World most, like there were kids who enjoyed Barney most. But there are other kids who don't, and they are not being represented.

And I'm still turning the show off when The Sopranos come on, heh. We'll see how it goes. :smile: