Mindstyle new DARK CRYSTAL collectibles?

pain

Reaction score
1st question

Were they actually selling these things at SDCC?

2nd Question

Were they saying that the items would retail for that much, or were they selling test shots or protos for that much at the con?

tomahawk

Reaction score
1st question

Were they actually selling these things at SDCC?

2nd Question

Were they saying that the items would retail for that much, or were they selling test shots or protos for that much at the con?
They were selling them at SDCC. They were not, to my knowledge, all test shots or protos. Those were the prices that they were sold for at the convention.

kuzeh

Reaction score
Eventhough the Urac isn't based on the movie, I think it looks awesome, specially after seeing that pic at Muppetsnewsflash.
Oh and that new Jared looks very cool too, I agree on the strange facial expression though...

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Guess I'm out

I was at SDCC. That is how much each were. 80 and 150 dollars. They look good, I just think the price is a bit much.
Eeek. I've been advocating the creation of a Dark Crystal action figure line for years now, but not at such a high price. They are stunning, but don't justify the steep price (especially after feeling kind of hosed by the latest lack-luster DVD release). :sympathy:

As a fan I have been willing to spend a lot for rare items, but I am so unhappy with these over-priced non-posable items...and no skeksis. High-end statues have already been made for DC. I'm just very disappointed. :frown:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
You mean the busts? I wouldn't call them high-end.
I'm not sure if I understand the question. To the average Henson fan (rather than the average toy collector - not that one can't be both, of course) the busts are high-end when talking about expense and the sliding scale from pvcs, figures to busts and statues. Therefore busts themselves are high-end items. They are nice sculpts (some a bit too brightly painted), but not action-figure sized or priced.

It seems that all the Dark Crystal stuff that gets released is large, heavy, expensive or all of the above (and not necessarily what many fans want).

The unimpressive Sideshow gelfling dolls helped kill interest in the license for quite some time. The busts were cool, but I was waiting for figures (space and price-wise they make sense).

These new products are called figures, but they really are (finely made) sculptures. And that's fine, but I wish Dark Crystal were being handled like Labyrinth - products of different types. I hope those more affordable items aren't going to only be reserved for the new movie. Until there's a more reasonably-priced (again, as far as a fan) my dollars are going to a life-sized Fozzie Bear. Now that's high-end and well worth the cost! :smile: :embarrassed:

I feel like companies keep approaching the Dark Crystal from one (expsensive) angle when others might prove more fitting. At least for me and my DC fan friends.

Laszlo

Reaction score
... the busts are high-end when talking about expense and the sliding scale from pvcs, figures to busts and statues. Therefore busts themselves are high-end items. They are nice sculpts (some a bit too brightly painted), but not action-figure sized or priced.
Ok, I understand. Price wise they may be high-end, but the sculpts could be a lot
better, I mean more movie accurate. They are nice busts but not the ULTIMATE
representations of these characters.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Ok, I understand. Price wise they may be high-end, but the sculpts could be a lot
better, I mean more movie accurate. They are nice busts but not the ULTIMATE
representations of these characters.
Oh, I completely agree about the sculpts. They are quite good, but they could be better. The bright colors on the busts are what surprised me the most.

I remember when Palisades passed on the Dark Crystal stuff. They couldn't get enough stores interested in merchandise after the creepy gelfling dolls from Sideshow/Weta. That company comes out with some great stuff, but when they miss, they miss big (Fozzie Bear Bust...he looks like a fuzzy Pac-Man).

I remember Ken Lilly recommending the Dark Crystal license to his peers in the field. Glad they got made, but affordable figures are what I'd really like to see. An articulated Skeksis would be sweet!

ryan19

Reaction score
hi everyone,
im very much interested in theses dark crystal figures.
does anyone know whos the maker n when will they be availble for sale?
any help would mean a lot.
thanks you n goodday.

Cosmic Cow

Reaction score
hi everyone,
im very much interested in theses dark crystal figures.
does anyone know whos the maker n when will they be availble for sale?
any help would mean a lot.
thanks you n goodday.
The name of the maker is MINDstyle. The 2 pieces had a trial run at SDCC, with the rest of the pieces to be released later. ToyTokyo has them for sale:

LandStrider w/Jen: http://www.toytokyo.com/shopping/index.php/page/product/product_id/8354

Urak: https://www.toytokyo.com/shopping/index.php/page/product/product_id/8379

That's where I got mine. They are fast and totally reliable every time i've dealt with them. The price is high but the quality once you see them in person is TOTALLY worth it. The packaging alone is gorgeous...

EDIT: I just noticed that Urac is out-of-stock but you can sign up for in-stock notification. I believe these are leftovers from SDCC so i'm sure they will get more...