Frank Oz Interview

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Well I think what he was upset about was the idea that you can't do something because "it might confuse the children." He thinks people should realize children are much sharper than they are given credit for.

It sounds like it wasn't the Snuffy thing that bothered him necessarily, but the potential reason why it was done (i.e. fear of confusing children).

MWoO

Reaction score
I'm confused on his answer to the snuffy question. That was done in 86 wasn't it? So he was still on the show and Jim was still alive. And he worked on the show into the 90's and still shows up. So...I'm confused as to why he was acting like it was recent. I think Snuffy has been non-imaginary longer than he has been imaginary.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Actually I think the problem was with the interviewer bringing it up at all. She didn't seem to realize it was out of date. Frank was just reacting to the question that was asked. And like I said, I think Frank was complaining more about the fear of "confusing" kids than the Snuffy thing.

Erine81981

Reaction score
I really liked what Frank said about that Sesame Street. He is right and i kind of wished that he could come back and try his best to turn it around back to the way it used to be. But i know that it won't happen.

TheJimHensonHour

Reaction score
loved this and franks right I agree with him 100% about Sesame Street...
He's making a movie with Bill in it I'm there!

Beauregard

Reaction score
Frank, you are amazing.

I love his honesty and up-frontness. I'll be seeing Death at a Funeral in the cinema if it comes out near me.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well I think what he was upset about was the idea that you can't do something because "it might confuse the children." He thinks people should realize children are much sharper than they are given credit for.

It sounds like it wasn't the Snuffy thing that bothered him necessarily, but the potential reason why it was done (i.e. fear of confusing children).

I thought that Sesame Street Unpaved covered it. That kids would be afraid to tell their parents about certain things, and that the writers were running out of gags in which they just missed him.

That said, YES, I agree it's become a kid's show, but then again, considering the state of TV in the late 70's and 80's it was inevitable. of course they started messing around the first decade or so, and by the time they started relying on millions of conflicting reports they'd tone everything down. Still better than half the other Kiddy shows.

But I'm glad he said it.

Brooklyn

Reaction score
Let Me Propose a Question

If you were to get a call from the folks at Sesame Street about what you think could be done to keep the essence of the educational value intact but enchance for the entertainment value. What would you suggest doing? If you post, let's keep it down to two specific things...

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I thought that Sesame Street Unpaved covered it. That kids would be afraid to tell their parents about certain things, and that the writers were running out of gags in which they just missed him.
Right, again the interviewer wasn't correct.

The main thing for me is occasionally introducing adult topics to kids, instead of thinking, "they won't understand." You're right, they won't understand if they're never introduced to it.

These days, as a lot of kids get older, they start ignoring things they've never heard of. And they've grown up not knowing and not caring about basic cultural and historical references. I think in a misguided attempt to help kids by make things easy and "kid friendly", we are actually hurting them.

Other kids shows still try to introduce adult topics, very successfully. I wish SS would start to do that again. (and to be fair, it's looks like they are trying this season.)

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't think Snuffy "became real" to avoid confusing kids. And it did sound like Frank Oz was surprised to hear Snuffy being real, but he has performed in many productions where Snuffy was real to everybody else, and I think his characters have been in scenes with Snuffy. But now that I think about it, I don't think Frank has ever performed his characters interacting with Snuffy (the only time I can think of was in Cinder Elmo, when Grover has Snuffy try out a glass slipper, though I'm not too sure if they spoke to each other there).