Another Muppet babies Mystery

Drtooth

Reaction score
While we have been debating Skeeter's existance vis a vis her adulthood, I have another big question.

If none of the babies can read, how come Scooter can program a computer? It seems gettting ahead of itself if he can do that before he reads. Or can he actually read, and it's not addressed?

Alpha Centauri

Reaction score
I always assumed that it was a toy computer and that he just pretened it was real.

On a side note in a Muppet Babies comic I have shows Piggy reading a ghost story book to the others.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Whoever said he could program a computer? Besides, seeing letters and numbers on a computer keyboard and recognizing them in comp-tech code/formulas while saying them to yourself isn't the same thing as reading out loud. Another thing is he could've figured out which key is which by fumbling/playing with them for the first time. But this is the type of stuff that's best to not think about too much or it ruins the illusion behind the magic.

Hope this is OK and have a good day.

TheJimHensonHour

Reaction score
Muppet babies bothers me from the start with how the muppets didn't really know one another from the start it sort of messes with the muppets history of meeting one another in the muppet show and muppet movie but heck even some things in the muppet movie contradict the muppet show like schooter being with the band at the church but on the muppet show his uncle owns the theater. *shruggs*

Mistersuperstar

Reaction score
I think anything that happened outside of what a normal baby would be able to do would have been in the Muppet Babies imaginations. Most of the episodes were based on the kids pretending to have adventures and doing things that adults do.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I always assumed that it was a toy computer and that he just pretened it was real.
It could have been, thoguh I really think it was either an outdated model or something like that they gave him to play with.

I do not think he imagined anything. In that episode where they're writing music for the contest, he clearly knows the componants of a computer. Including Random Access Memory. Unless he's just really smart and can memorize things he hears on TV.

Muppet babies bothers me from the start with how the muppets didn't really know one another from the start it sort of messes with the muppets history of meeting one another in the muppet show and muppet movie but heck even some things in the muppet movie contradict the muppet show like schooter being with the band at the church but on the muppet show his uncle owns the theater. *shruggs*
AS I have said in the Skeeter thread, I felt that it's an alternate timeline, all in Miss Piggy's imagination. That explains why Skeeter doesn't exist outside MB and the Muppet Kids books. Not to mention that Animal and Gonzo are so close in MB, but you hardly even see them together. Not to mention how Bunsen had no assistant in the first season of TMS, but has known Beaker as a toddler. (unless you want to get technical and say he was a collegue sent in to assist him).

But I have another question. Did Scooter at one time or another say that he couldn't read? Maybe he can and they don't bring it up.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Actually it's not as odd as you'd think. I had a young relative who couldn't read yet, but was better at working the computer than any of us! :smile:

As I said in the Skeeter thread, the Muppets have no perceivable canon because they're following the tradition of Vaudeville and 1930s films.

Drtooth

Reaction score
As I said in the Skeeter thread, the Muppets have no perceivable canon because they're following the tradition of Vaudeville and 1930s films.
A lot of cartoon characters, even ones with very strict continuity have little gaps in their continuity. There are at least 3 different wedings of Homer and Marge Simpson (not counting the do over in the episode where Milhouse's parents devorce). One where Homer ate the entire cake before the wedding and married in the emergency room, one where they married in a cheap vegas style chapple, and a regular one. And they hinted at the regular wedding in the Movie.

So I'll just say Scooter CAN read, he just choses not to.

Beauregard

Reaction score
AS I have said in the Skeeter thread, I felt that it's an alternate timeline, all in Miss Piggy's imagination.
Now that brings up the question...why would Piggy invent a rival for herself?

I always figured that the Muppets joined a creative team in writing the series, with Gonzo as a head-idea-person...why else would Baby Gonzo have such a crush on Piggy?

Alpha Centauri

Reaction score
Now that brings up the question...why would Piggy invent a rival for herself?

I always figured that the Muppets joined a creative team in writing the series, with Gonzo as a head-idea-person...why else would Baby Gonzo have such a crush on Piggy?
That's kind of what I thought too.