Big Bird Cassette Player/ Doll

maniacal muppet

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Recently I bought a Big Bird Casette player at a Colectible store and I wanted to see if anyone knew about it. It's about a foot and a half tall. Under his tail feathers, there is a plastic base where you insert batteries and the cassette. It reads "Ideal, 1986- Muppets Inc." At the bottom of this part it says, " View Master-Ideal Inc. Portland, OR 97207" He has plastic legs, moveable eyelids and beak.

Now what I'm guessing, is that it only works with a special cassette, specified for use with that. Either that or it just doesn't work :smirk:

I'll try to post pics later. :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Ah, the Teddy Ruxpin knockoff featuring Big Bird. Yeah, it has some special cassettes and books. Don't know if you can find them. I also don't know if regular tapes work with them as well. I know they did with Teddy Ruxpin, but his mouth didn't move.

There was also a Snoopy one. I think Cam Clarke (The original cartoon series Leonardo) did the voice of Snoopy for that one.

maniacal muppet

Reaction score
Thanks for yer help. I really thought that it'd only work w/ a special one :smile:

I think that I had an ALF one of these too :wink:

*Off to Ebay!*

jeffkjoe

Reaction score
Search for:

Big Bird Story Magic

or

Big Bird StoryMagic

You can hook up Big Bird to Cookie Monster and Oscar and all three interact with each other as Big Bird tells the story. Cookie's eyes swirl and Oscar pops up and down in his can.

Beakerfan

Reaction score
Sounds awesome! Wish I could get ahold of a set for the preschool I sometimes work at. Or just for my little cousins.

maniacal muppet

Reaction score
Search for:

Big Bird Story Magic

or

Big Bird StoryMagic

You can hook up Big Bird to Cookie Monster and Oscar and all three interact with each other as Big Bird tells the story. Cookie's eyes swirl and Oscar pops up and down in his can.
Wow! That sounds awesome! Thanks for your help! Thanks to everyone else too :smile:

Blinky_Fish

Reaction score
Tyco and Fisher price - essentially the same thing - There are also two connector characters - Cookie Monster and Oscar - they interact with Bird on certain cassetes like - Oh Brother - Hard to find Oscar in working condition. But not entirely worth buying him - I would say that Cookie is the better buy of the 2 extra players.

Regular cassetes do not work other than play music - I always wanted Bird to sing Jimmy Buffett... No go.

maniacal muppet

Reaction score
Tyco and Fisher price - essentially the same thing - There are also two connector characters - Cookie Monster and Oscar - they interact with Bird on certain cassetes like - Oh Brother - Hard to find Oscar in working condition. But not entirely worth buying him - I would say that Cookie is the better buy of the 2 extra players.

Regular cassetes do not work other than play music - I always wanted Bird to sing Jimmy Buffett... No go.
Thanks. I'll look inta all of that. :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I think that I had an ALF one of these too :wink:
HEH I forgot about the ALF.... I remember the Snoopy because I had one of the books (I never had the actual toy or anything, though).

Anyway, the Oscar and Cookie interactive add ons are kinda like Grubby the worm with Teddy Ruxpin, aren't they? I always wanted Grubby...

Too bad they didn't have a Willie doll to work with Alf.... imagine, it keeps telling ALF to shut up over and over.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
HEH I forgot about the ALF.... I remember the Snoopy because I had one of the books (I never had the actual toy or anything, though).
I had the Snoopy doll! Unfortunately, at the time I was a little frightened of him when he spoke, lol. But I loved the book and the songs on the tape that went with it. It was all about the Peanuts gang going camping.