Jerry Nelson the "Mel Blanc" of the muppets?

Xerus

Reaction score
Hearing Jerry Nelson's voice was part of my childhood from Sesame Street, to Muppet Show, and to Fraggle Rock. I could always recognize that voice of his even when he did one time characters. And I could still recognize his voice in later projects like the Good Morning America segments in 1992, as well as the Secret Life of Toys where Jerry voiced Balthazar Bear as well as Bratty Rat, Dinkybeard, Datz the Paper Bag, and the Cowgirl. God bless you, Jerry Nelson, for your great talents. :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
The one thing he cannot do any more? I guess it would be those really really high pitched voices. In fact, didn't they have to pitch Robin's voice up for VMX? It's a shame tyhat with age diminishes a lot of his range. I mean, He can do voices like Rocky the Rocking Cry baby (loud, ear peircing cry included), and low voices. He has one of the best ranges in vocalization of all the muppet performers. Same thing with Kevin Clash. They do such remarkably different characters. Even Jim and Frank were limited in the voices they could come up with. So that's really saying something.

MrsPepper

Reaction score
Jerry Nelson's range is amazing! And I love the unique tone in his voice. You can tell it's him, because we pay so much attention, but honestly, he can do girls, boys, gravely old men, whatever. It's so impressive. Plus everyone already knows how I feel about his singing voice (really amazing!) It's so unique.

As for Mel Blanc...
Blanc did absloutely everyone's voices in the Looney Tune Cartoons. Absolutely everyone.
I remember reading somewhere that he had a clause in his contract that noone else could be credited for voices on his shows, and that he did do the majority of voices, but not every single one. I'll see if I can find where I read that.
Edit: Okay, it's on Wikipedia, but I can't find an actual article.

Drtooth

Reaction score
As for Mel Blanc...

I remember reading somewhere that he had a clause in his contract that noone else could be credited for voices on his shows, and that he did do the majority of voices, but not every single one. I'll see if I can find where I read that.

Mayhaps I was exaggerating, but he did quite the majority of Characters, and most of the most were A-listers like Speedy, Bugs, Daffy- etc.

I know him and Frees worked on a few projects together (including some unfinished Jay Ward pilots which will never see the light of day), and it's a shame you didn't see them together more, since their voices worked beautifully together.

But back on subject, Jerry's range of vocality and characterization is amazing. He can do a small, soft childlike character like Robin, a weirdo nutzo like Lew Zeland, a giant blowhard like Pa Fraggle, a Hipster like Floyd, and just many other lovable personalities like Herry and Gobo. And all of them believable. I mean, there are only a few muppet kid characters I believe are children. Big Bird, Elmo, and Robin are the main three. He just played Robin beautifully.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
Hearing Jerry Nelson's voice was part of my childhood from Sesame Street, to Muppet Show, and to Fraggle Rock. I could always recognize that voice of his even when he did one time characters. And I could still recognize his voice in later projects like the Good Morning America segments in 1992, as well as the Secret Life of Toys where Jerry voiced Balthazar Bear as well as Bratty Rat, Dinkybeard, Datz the Paper Bag, and the Cowgirl. God bless you, Jerry Nelson, for your great talents. :smile:
We also can't forget how he narrated many SS story segments.