I finally saw A Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie

Wiseman

Reaction score
I just rented A Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie. Great show, but I think it was done already, wasn't it called "It's A Wonderful Life"? :wink:

Oh well that's what my friends are famous more.

MrsPepper

Reaction score
but I think it was done already, wasn't it called "It's A Wonderful Life"? :wink:
Hahaha, it's so true. But that's what makes this special awesome; it takes something we are all really familiar with and gives it a fresh wacky twist. I love this one and watch it every year!

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
This one I had mixed feelings about. I thought the humor and attitude were just way off target for the most part. But I did find it touching when Kermit realizes he shouldn't have wished he was never born. And I personally thought Whoopi did a good job. :smile:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
This one I had mixed feelings about. I thought the humor and attitude were just way off target for the most part. But I did find it touching when Kermit realizes he shouldn't have wished he was never born. And I personally thought Whoopi did a good job. :smile:
I still say it was the worst Muppet movie ever made! It was almost like some sad, disturbed, digruntled person thought to himself "I'm going to make my own version of Its a Wonderful Life, make it dark and depressing, and stick the muppets in it!" I mean, that's just my thoughts.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Well like I said, mixed feelings, heh. I do agree it did kinda come across as mean spirited the way some of the other recent projects have.

MrsPepper

Reaction score
It's only depressing if you think of the fact that the world will be like that soon if we don't get new muppet projects. :wink: But I'm still opposite, I really like this one. The only part that sort of bothers me is that Ms Bitterman still techinically owns the theatre, she just can't tear it down. So they are owned by a company that wants nothing to do with them... I seriously hope that was not a self-fulfilling prophecy.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
It's just that I thought even the scenes before the "I wish I wasn't born" part were mean spirited and jaded as well. It's just this odd trend that was in MFS and MWoO as well. But again, I thought this special also had its good points. It was nice to see Scooter again for instance. :wink:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I liked the film; however it appears that it loses its focus at times. The only part I didn't like was Kermit being hit in the face with the Christmas tree bulb. Funny thing, I guess. The go-go alternate universe Scooter and rave-monkey Sam the Eagle were very funny IMHO. Of course those things relate to my misspent youth.

I find it very difficult for the Muppets when it comes to pleasing fans. There are many lifelong Muppet fans out there that don’t want the Muppets to ever go outside of what they’ve already established. They might as well be locked in a box in that case. Other younger fans want to see more stuff like Muppets From Space – a film that provoked a near-violent reaction in me upon first theatrical viewing. I’ve calmed down since then.

The solution appears to be somewhere in the middle. The Muppets have always poked fun at taboos without indulging in or officially condoning them. The difference is it used to be done in such a thoughtful and sly way that some might find over-the-heads of current audiences. So, this sort of humor seems to be dumbed-down and almost crass at times. What used to be done with a wink or a Kermit grimace now needs an “EL-IF-I-NO” Pepe diagram!

Also, some more music was needed in the special. Haven’t they gotten that yet? The Muppets sing! We like it!

I still give the Muppet Chrismas Special an A- as I did when it first came out. There had been such a lul in Muppet productions and this brought them back...and Scooter! :wink:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
There are many lifelong Muppet fans out there that don’t want the Muppets to ever go outside of what they’ve already established. They might as well be locked in a box in that case...The Muppets have always poked fun at taboos without indulging in or officially condoning them. The difference is it used to be done in such a thoughtful and sly way
For me it's never been that I'm against change or risque humor. It's that it used to be more subtle and adult. That's why I liked the Muppets, even as a kid. And I don't think it's necessarily true that the younger fans prefer the more recent projects. But I do think the older projects are lacking exposure.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
For me it's never been that I'm against change or risque humor. It's that it used to be more subtle and adult. That's why I liked the Muppets, even as a kid. And I don't think it's necessarily true that the younger fans prefer the more recent projects. But I do think the older projects are lacking exposure.
I get that and second it. The Muppets do themselves a disservice when they try too hard. I feel Steve's Kermit used to do that (the "way to get down with your bad selves" MFS line and some TV appearances), but now he's settled in nicely.

The Rizzo "Girls Gone Wild" comment on Oz was terrible on many levels and not even funny. However, Gonzo's nipple comment was creepy, but funny IMHO. It was an unintentional mistake by Pepe. Kelly Osbourne (although cut from TV version) appearance was trying too hard. It's just how it goes.

On Muppets Tonight I remember the out-takes being the best parts. I wish some of that spontaneity could be utilized in the productions. Muppeteers are sharp people...er...Muppets...er...Muppetpeople!

The main issue I have with the Muppet Christmas Special was that anytime a song or something interesting started flowing it was cut-off in a way that said the very things I love the Muppets for are no longer valid in contemporary entertainment. I'd rather have seen the entire Moulin Scrooge number and the Muppet Theater's line-up of performances. Heck, why didn't they have Suggs with some red and green Muppephones? The movie had enough to entertain me in other ways, but there was so much Muppet gold that was discarded.

That's what I feel was missing. The charm, music and vivid color of the Muppets.