The Power of the Dark Crystal - Time Has Come

Laszlo

Reaction score
It's been announced that Peter Jackson is helming The Hobbit! I bet we get more information and maybe even location stills in the next month then we get in the next 6 months waiting for this DC sequel. Genndy built up quite a fan base with his previous work, I just don't understand what the hold up is with news and production stills.

J.M. Prater
Yes, PJ was always loyal to his fans!

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
It's been announced that Peter Jackson is helming The Hobbit! I bet we get more information and maybe even location stills in the next month then we get in the next 6 months waiting for this DC sequel. Genndy built up quite a fan base with his previous work, I just don't understand what the hold up is with news and production stills.

J.M. Prater
Actually, Peter Jackson is producing "The Hobbit" and an unnamed bridge between it and "The Lord of the Rings", but not directing. Guillermo del Toro and Sam Raimi are the two front runners for directing the two prequels, though there's been no official announcement.

JMPrater

Reaction score
With The Spiderwick Chronicles about to premiere, I am getting quite anxious in regards to more information with this sequel. I'd love to see SOMETHING more.

sighs....

J.M. Prater

Reaction score
Well, the reason they make a sequel is because they realised they can still make money with it. If they had listen to us fans they would rather do a Prequel not a Sequel. That's what DC needs a PREQUEL!

HEY NOW!

Now your talking, but lets get one movie off the ground first (the sequel that is)

maybe if the budget and fanbase is there, a sequel will be in the future.

that's the way alot of movies are going now (prequels)
look at dumb and dumber, star wars, exorcist ect!

beaker

Reaction score
With The Spiderwick Chronicles about to premiere, I am getting quite anxious in regards to more information with this sequel. I'd love to see SOMETHING more.

sighs....

J.M. Prater
Um, is the "fantasy film" invisible gates closing all the sudden?

While the Terebitha/Golden Compass/Lord of the Rings/Zathura/
Spiderwick/Dark Is Rising/Harry Potter/Pan's Labyrinth/Mirrormask/Beowulf released proved audiences are hungry for fantasy much as they were in the 80's(DC, Labyrinth, Willow, Legend, Dragon Slayer, etc) ...

it's not like the window of oppurtunity will vanish this year. Hopefully by Comic Con there'll be a whallop of an update.

And yeah, I would have hoped to have seen sets, props, puppets, etc by now. But they seem committed to making this thing.

I remember in 1998 when Brian Henson said they were gonna make a Dark Crystal prequel, which never panned out. They are definately much closer than they were back then

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Um, is the "fantasy film" invisible gates closing all the sudden?

While the Terebitha/Golden Compass/Lord of the Rings/Zathura/
Spiderwick/Dark Is Rising/Harry Potter/Pan's Labyrinth/Mirrormask/Beowulf released proved audiences are hungry for fantasy much as they were in the 80's(DC, Labyrinth, Willow, Legend, Dragon Slayer, etc) ...

it's not like the window of oppurtunity will vanish this year. Hopefully by Comic Con there'll be a whallop of an update.

And yeah, I would have hoped to have seen sets, props, puppets, etc by now. But they seem committed to making this thing.

I remember in 1998 when Brian Henson said they were gonna make a Dark Crystal prequel, which never panned out. They are definately much closer than they were back then
Many films you listed were not big box office money makers. It doesn't mean they weren't good, on the contrary many of them were, but they were still unfortunately considered niche films. Even the larger budgeted ones. Films like Labyrinth are often looked back at with rose-colored glasses when in reality the film was considered a disappointment to the studio, audiences and Jim. :sympathy:

That's the upside of modern CG - it has opened up a market for these films that audiences seem to receive better than ever. I think computer effects are often overused and misplaced, but they (when mixed with good storytelling, of course) have helped propel fantasy pictures to a new renaissance. I still value the beautiful effects achievements of Dark Crystal and a skillfully designed matte painting over most modern wizardry.

However, for both better and worse computer effects have created modern fantasy blockbusters out of what would have been 80s cult classics. :cool: