The Brand New Ask Jim Lewis Thread

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Hey Jim, Ryan again, and MrsPepper and I have a joint question...

Who came up with the idea for the character of Dr. Phil van Neuter?

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Just sent some questions to Jim I think we are about caught up with everyones questions, so if you have more feel free to post them now.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Here ya go!

A Stroll down Memory Lane With Jim Lewis

From Dwmckim: Deep Introspection Time (cue Derek Scott-type music cue): Thinking about your place among the staff of Muppet writers, all of whom have their own individual strengths and weaknesses, what do you feel are your greatest strengths; what special qualities in particular do you bring to the writers' table (throw all humility out the window and feel free to toot your own horn) and then what do you feel are the qualities that you'd most like to be able to improve in comparison with the rest of the team?

Cue “PENNYSLVANIA POLKA” music (which is always good for a festive laff): Wow, this is totally heavy. I haven’t lifted thoughts this heavy since I was in college trying to impress co-eds. Now that I’m married, I just answer “uh-huh” and get on with it. But my personal life notwithstanding, I’ll give it a shot. It all starts with Jerry Juhl. He had it all – the heart, the sense of humor, the encyclopedic comedic knowledge and acumen. Everything any Muppet writer does is influenced by Jerry, and made better by that influence. I was not fit to touch the hem of his garment (a fact he reminded me of quite frequently: “Will you stop touching the hem of my garment and get to work!”) God bless him, amen!...As for the rest of us ink-stained wretches, I am not here to pass judgment on others. My greatest experience has been with the inestimable Mr. Kirk Thatcher, whose comic vision is 20/20 and sometimes cross-eyed. He always takes things to the unexpected and hilarious place where guffaws and chortles, chuckles and snorts live. And as a director, he has a great visual sense, a marvelous way with timing, and a natural connection to the performers….Regarding other writers I have known through the years, let me say that they (e.g. Joey Mazzarino, Craig Shemin, Bill Prady, et al.) are dauntingly funny individuals who also have impressive hems on their respective garment…. And that brings us to me. I’m just a guy who wanted to be “funny for money” and had grown up on the likes of Jack Benny, George Burns, Groucho Marx, Laurel & Hardy, the Three Stooges, Abbott & Costello, Danny Kaye, and acts of that vintage. Unfortunately, by the time I reached the age of consent, that style of “a little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants” humor had been eclipsed by a more subtle style of irony. What to do? Easy! Go to the refuge of gags and silliness, the Muppets! There with my cardboard valise of time-worn material, I was able to create a small niche. I am not the best or funniest writer, but I am quick and good at spot welding. And, through the intercession of Messers Henson, Juhl, Oz, Nelson, Whitmire, Goelz, Hunt and on and on, I have learned to leaven the yuks with a dollop of heartfelt emotion – which is the real secret of these characters. They aren’t just characters, they are us. And it just so happens that on a good day, I’m Fozzie, or at least a Fozzie Wannabear! (Ahhh! Wocka! Wocka!)
How’s that for heavy thinking?

From Beauregard: Did you write the intro for the TMS Season 3 trailer, with Kermit and Piggy, ending in Piggy falling upon her beloved? It made me laugh, and reminded me of your kind of a gag.

If it made you laugh, I wrote it. But there’s a far greater chance I wrote something leading up to the funny, and the performers made it hilarious.

From Ryan (A.K.A our own king prawn)& Mrs. Pepper: Hey Jim, Ryan again, and MrsPepper and I have a joint question...Who came up with the idea for the character of Dr. Phil van Neuter?

To the best of my recollection, that was Brian Henson, who performed the character. I can’t be sure if the writers at “Muppets Tonight” pitched “this kind of character” or the character developed and we wrote for it, but Brian made it real.

And now something Different…. Our good friend and long time question askie had asked about a Muppets tonight skit,. Sadly Jim did not remember much about the skit. So Minor Muppetz sent me the plot of the skit. So here is a walk down Memory lane.

The sketch as hosted by Gonzo and Rizzo, where they do a series of things to make discoveries, and the answer to all is basically the same: it hurts!

First, Gonzo shows what happens when you put your nose into an electric pencil sharpener (though he puts Rizzo's nose in there), then he shows what happens when you put electric eels in your pants (though Gonzo initially says that it feels pretty good), and I forget what the last discovery was (I think it involved a wrecking ball)

That’s funny. If I didn’t write it. I will. Please destroy all evidence to the contrary.

All of us at Muppet Central would like to say how greatful we are to have Jim as our friend. You hear what us fans have to say, and that means a lot to us all thanks so much Jim! .

No, the pleasure is all mine. Honestly; this is the most fun I can have without getting paid.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I've read that you are one of the writers of Mupet Sing-Along: It's Not Easy Being Green, and I assume that you helped write "The Best of Mupets Tonight" episode of Mupets Tonight. So, when writing a compilation/ clip show, is it easy for you to write clips into the scripts, or do you just write the script, and let other people decide what clips will be included?

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I'm looking through all the questions, and I think except for Minor Muppetz one he just asked we are caught up! So If ya have a question post it. If you have a question that I hve over looked let me know. thanks guys.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Hey Dwayne, I think you didn't send two of my questions, so I'll just re-post them here. If you didn't send or Jim didn't answer them for a reason just let me know and I'll happily ask another question. :wink:

Can you tell us if you wrote the new bonus material on the upcoming "The Muppet Show: Season 3" DVD set?

Can you also tell us why there haven't been any updates on the Muppets Disney XD site recently? I assume they're just finalizing them all currently, just wondering. Thanks Jim!

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Hey Dwayne, I think you didn't send two of my questions, so I'll just re-post them here. If you didn't send or Jim didn't answer them for a reason just let me know and I'll happily ask another question. :wink:

Can you tell us if you wrote the new bonus material on the upcoming "The Muppet Show: Season 3" DVD set?

Can you also tell us why there haven't been any updates on the Muppets Disney XD site recently? I assume they're just finalizing them all currently, just wondering. Thanks Jim!
Hey Ryan, I now remeber your questions! the first one is fine, but on the one about why there have no updates on the new site I don't think would be a real good one. The reason being is that Jim is just a writer, and I don't think he would really know much about that. hope that helps.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Okay that's fine, just nix the second one then and go ahead and send the first one. :smile:

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Hey Dwayne, I have another nonsense question for Jim if you want to send it this time or next do whatever you please.

Hola Jim! Ryan "theprawncracker" here talking to jou in a Pepe voice, hokay. I was just wondering what jou t'ought of de high gas prices, hokay. It seems like someone like jou would have some sort of somet'ing to say about d'em. If not... what do jou look for in a woman and where should I send de ones looking at me?