The Brand New Ask Jim Lewis Thread

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Questions for Jim Lewis – October 18, 2008

From AnimatedC9000
Dear Jim,

Do you ever get writer's block?

Not really. I first worked at a newspaper where deadlines were immediate and daily, so I learned how to plow through the “it was a dark and stormy night” phase of writing and get on with it. That said, I sometimes write then toss it all out and start again, but when there’s a call for words, I start loading the comedy truck.

From JimJudy
Hey, this is JimJudy again. I'm just wondering, but do you know what they did to all of the old Muppet show sets, and the specials before the show, (example) like the Sex and Violence Pilot wrestling ring and all? Thanks, - JJ

Everything is expendable. Usually when a shoot is done, for the sake of storage, most of that material (e.g. props, sets) are destroyed, recycled or reused until they become unusable. I swear I don’t have them all at my house…really…no need to look out in the garage….heheh.

From Dwayne
I have a question about all the Muppet books (Before you Leap and the two that are coming out). You have said that you worked with Bill on Pepe's book. Did you work closely with Steve and Eric (or Frank) on Pepe and Piggy's book?

I didn’t work with Steve or Eric on the Kermit and Piggy books, though I certainly sent them a manuscript to gain their insight. As for Frank; he’s a busy guy, the hem of whose garment I am not worthy to touch. Also, Piggy and Kermit are both very established characters. The reason I worked with Bill on Pepe is because (a) he created, performed and “is” Pepe, and (b) the character doesn’t have the history and track record of Piggy and Kermit, so Bill’s insights and instincts are invaluable. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

From theprawncracker
Hey there Jim! I have another question about Pepe's book... The Muppet Newsflash lists the release date as November 4th, while Muppet Wiki and Amazon list the release as October 28th. Can you clear that up for us?

No idea. Really. I write. Throw over the transom and hope for money to come back. Seriously, I’d trust Amazon or Barnes & Noble since they gotta move these books. Sorry I’m useless here.

Also, how early in advance are you told that the Muppets will be appearing on something like "The View"? How much time do you get to write interview segments for things like that? Thanks Jim-boree!

It can be a few weeks. It can be a few days. And there are times when it comes up suddenly the day before and we’ve got a few hours to put something together. With these appearances, it’s not about writing a script, but rather coming up with an attitude and an approach to the appearance. Essentially, it’s what segment producers do for other stars on shows like Leno and The View. Same thing, except our characters have a team of people doing prep – of which I am but one.

From Colbynfriends
What Muppets do you consider to be in the core group?

My list? From me? Kermit, Piggy, Fozzie, Gonzo, Pepe, Dr. Bunsen Honeydew, Dr. Teeth, Beaker, Zoot, Floyd, Janice, Animal, Pepe, Sam, Rowlf, Robin, Lew Zealand…and everyone else. Heck, I love ‘em all. I’d even write for Fleet Scribbler if he ever came back.

From MrsPepper…
Hi Jim, it's Floyd's future wife MrsPepper here!
I'm a pretty big fan of the pig, like we all are! However, her range of character has been so varied over the years; from wannabe lovestruck starlet in The Muppet Show, to bona fide star commanding respect in The Great Muppet Caper, to slightly delusional/ in denial out of work actress like in Muppets From Space or It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas. I know personally I prefer to think of Piggy as the middle one, a true star who is strong, yet isn't afraid to be vulnerable. I was wondering in which way do you envision Piggy when you write for her, and if you have a favourite Piggy moment (it could be one that you wrote, or not! Up to you). Thank you very much!

Piggy is a figment of her own imagination. She thinks she’s the world’s greatest star, a diva of unmatched diva-tude, and therefore she is. By force of her will, she forces her will on everybody else. At the same time, she is vulnerable, wary of the fact that somebody might figure out it’s all a façade, a travesty of a sham, if you will. That’s what, in my estimation, makes her so endearing. She’s the we we’d want to be if we only had the nerve.
My favorite Piggy moments? I go back to “Cuanto La Gusta” from the Muppet Show because it’s so deliciously over-the-top, and that wonderful scene where Kermit goes crazy on her “You’re fired, Piggy! Fired! Fired, do you hear me?” She just takes it then lets the frog have it. Perfection. I wrote neither, and give all my kudos to Frank, Jim and Jerry.

From AnimatedC9000
Dear Jim,

Any ideas for a girl who seems to be slowly losing her sanity?

(Kidding!)

Now, for the real question:

Dear Jim,

Is it odd for a child of someone who practically grew up with the Muppets like them, while the parent(s) of said child don't care about them at all?

Nah! These kids today! I’ve got two kids and they both like the Muppets, too, but this may have something to do with the fact that they know that Kermit and company help pay for the roof over their heads…..Fret not about this. Once your kids figure out that the Muppets are, in essence, fuzzy versions of all the people in their lives, they’ll come around. And if they don’t…well, I usually just send my kids to bed hungry if they don’t laugh at my jokes.
(Kidding! Yeesh!)

dwayne1115

Reaction score
these answers are great as always!

My next question is about Rowlf:

In the last batch of questions you answerd you said that you considerd Rowlf as one of the core Muppets. Is Rowlf going to make a comeback, like it seems Dr. theeth is trying to do?

AnimatedC9000

Reaction score
Dear Jim,

Thank you for answering my previous questions. I think I may need to re-word my last one, though. You see, I'm a child of two people who practically grew up with the Muppets (Sesame Street coming out when my father was nine, and the Muppet Show first airing when my mother was in kindergarten). The thing is, they didn't have much time to watch them. So here I am, a girl in the 21st century, watching characters as old (or older [Kermit]/younger [Gonzo, Piggy, Fozzie, and others]) as my parents, and they make me laugh. The problem is that they mostly think that it's a phase I'll grow out of it. (Plus, I'm trying to get my two little brothers into the Muppets as well.) Any advice?

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Dear Jim,

Thank you for answering my previous questions. I think I may need to re-word my last one, though. You see, I'm a child of two people who practically grew up with the Muppets (Sesame Street coming out when my father was nine, and the Muppet Show first airing when my mother was in kindergarten). The thing is, they didn't have much time to watch them. So here I am, a girl in the 21st century, watching characters as old (or older [Kermit]/younger [Gonzo, Piggy, Fozzie, and others]) as my parents, and they make me laugh. The problem is that they mostly think that it's a phase I'll grow out of it. (Plus, I'm trying to get my two little brothers into the Muppets as well.) Any advice?
I understand your question now, and I could almost relate to some extent.

Anyways lets get some more questions. I love getting answers.

JimJudy

Reaction score
Hey Jim, JimJudy here again. Just wondering, have you ever filled in for any background puppeteering or even a major role at one time?

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Hey Jimjudy,

I think Jim has already answerd your question. here take a look at this.

From Colbynfriends: I have another question for you Jim. In a scene with more Muppets than there are people, have you ever gotten the chance to perform one of the Muppets? If so which one, and in what show?

I can only recall one instance. At the top of “Muppet Classic Theater”, I was a penguin playing the clarinet (my old instrument from high school, by the way). You can tell it’s me, cause the penguin looks like it had a stroke.

So if you have another question please post it.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Hey Jim! BIG question! We just saw the launch of Fozzie and Rizzo's YouTube/MySpace accounts yesterday--AMAZING! Fozzie's video was AWESOME! So good to see Rowlf again! But what's really making me squeal, is Rizzo, Sam, Fozzie, Statler and Waldorf, and Chef posting comments on the various Muppets' YouTube pages and MySpace pages. I gotta know, who writes these comments? You? Steve/Eric/Dave? Do they have access to these pages too? It's SO awesome! I also got a friend request e-mail from Rizzo that was just amazing. Can you tell us who wrote that? THIS IS SO AWESOME! VIVA LA FUZZY RENAISSANCE!

AnimatedC9000

Reaction score
Dear Jim,

May I say that I love the viral Muppets campaign! It's amazing! Can't wait to see who else joins!

Oh, and if you see Fozzie anywhere, tell him that I said "thank you" for becoming my first Muppet friend on YouTube.