The Brand New Ask Jim Lewis Thread

FletchySRF3088

Reaction score
(I don't know if this has been asked before but I thought I'd give it a shot)

Hi, Mr. Lewis! Long time reader, first-time asker. As a big Scooter and Richard Hunt fan, I couldn't be more happy to see the go-fer back and with a permanant performer this time it seems. I'm sorry if I sound like a big Scooter freak here (I guess I am) but I couldn't help but be a bit worried about the go-fer's treatment over the years. I was just wondering what was the reason behind his disappearance for a while and the number of recasts he had when he came back? I thought it was a bit odd that he didn't even make a non-speaking, background appearance in Muppet Christmas Carol, Muppet Treasure Island and Muppets Tonight like Rowlf and some other Jim Henson and Richard Hunt characters did. I have heard that Scooter embodied more of Richard than any other character he performed, did this have anything to do with his absence and several recasts over the years? (He seems to have more performers than any other character but I could be wrong)

dwayne1115

Reaction score
That is a great question, we have talked about Scooter a little bit, but I think we really have never asked a question like that. Great question!

Also I want to say that I'm very sorry I have not been as "active" In this thread as I should have been. I'm on my mom's computer, and sometimes getting on can be difficult. Thanks Ryan for sending the last batch, and the next one is mine. Thanks everyone and keep asking them questions.

FletchySRF3088

Reaction score
Thanks so much, dwayne1115! I'm so glad it's been deemed worthy to be sent to Jim Lewis heh :smile: I've always wondered about Scooter's disappearance and many recasts, I've read fan speculations and what-not which do seem to make sense but I've always wanted to ask someone who's worked in the Jim Henson Company who would know the reason. I fiqure since I might never get to meet the performers or writers, etc in person, this'd be a great oppurtunity to ask the question :big_grin:

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Jim, at the D23 event last year, 9 images were shown of upcoming Muppet videos for YouTube. Are there any more still "in the can" that will be released in the near future?

dwmckim

Reaction score
During Muppets Tonight! what was the working relationship like with ABC? Did they have a lot of input/change suggestions on scripts or tone or did they tend to be more hand's off? Did this change between seasons one and two?

Duke Remington

Reaction score
I've got one:

"Another Webby bites the dust" (Floyd's 5-word Webby speech)--scripted or ad-libbed?

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Dear Jim-possible,

If you could pick one actor/famous person for a cameo in the upcoming movie, who would it be? What if Justin Bieber and Snooki aren't available?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Dear Jim-possible,

If you could pick one actor/famous person for a cameo in the upcoming movie, who would it be? What if Justin Bieber and Snooki aren't available?
I'm not Jim, but I must say that if Justin Bieber is in it then they should reconsider the "greatest" part of the title. I never heard of Snooki.

Anyway, back to my regularly-scheduled question for Jim...

If you could pick an existing song for the Muppets to cover, what would it be?

Convincing John

Reaction score
I never heard of Snooki.
Wha...? Never heard of Snooki? I have! Good grief, I want him to have a cameo in the movie! I'm sure he could help everyone on the movie set go through their lines.:wink:

But here's a question for Mr. Lewis (if it hasn't been asked already):

We know that Beaker's speech has a lot of "Mee mee mee" in it. But since Beaker says "mee", where did "meep" come from? I've been seeing it lately (like in the Wall-E parody with Beaker). Richard didn't say "meep" and neither does Steve. My best guess where "meep" came from is this song from Muppet Babies. (It's at the 4:30 mark):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2aLRsq3JRc

If the "meep" question has already been asked, I have another one for him. This one's about Sesame Street, but it's also about writing, and it just asks his opinion on something:

The book "Street Gang" references memoirs written by Jon Stone (check out p. 330, if you have the book handy). As a writer yourself, do you think these memoirs have a chance at getting published or would Sesame Workshop frown on that because of Stone's opinions?

Thank you,
Josh Hankemeier
(Convincing John)

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Wha...? Never heard of Snooki? I have! Good grief, I want him to have a cameo in the movie! I'm sure he could help everyone on the movie set go through their lines.:wink:
Oh I thought you were talking about some celebrity I hadn't heard of. That character had been called Beautiful Day Monster, but also had quite a few on-screen names on Sesame Street (such as Harry, Ralph, Lulu, and others).