Does anybody think you're weird for watching Sesame Street?

MelissaY1

Reaction score
Yes, but people think I'm weird for a lot of reasons. I don't care and I'm used to it :smile:

Convincing John

Reaction score
Yes, but people think I'm weird for a lot of reasons. I don't care and I'm used to it :smile:
Reminds me of a couple of lines from MFC:

Fozzie's Mom: "I recognize Fozzie's weirdo friends!"

:big_grin: : "Yeah, and we're proud of it, too! Ha ha!"

Convincing John

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's because when Sesame Street took off, it became MUCH more popular than the Ed Sullivan bits. Yeah, the shows Ed Sullivan and the Today show were popular, but Sesame Street was something brand new with it's own flavor, characters, etc. When Sesame hit the airwaves, it became so popular that when 1974 came along, the early Ed Sullivan bits, commercials Sam and Friends, etc. were overshadowed by the popularity of SS.
And it's that success with SS that also blacklisted "The Muppet Show" as kiddy stuff in some minds. Of course, preschooly merchandise like this didn't exactly help to further the cause.

But I feel that the Muppets have always transended the general idea of puppetry (and puppets of the 1950's were basically everywhere, since TV animation hadn't been perfected yet. Check out something like "Time for Beany"), and take on a whole aspect of grand illusion. I know they're puppets, you know they're puppets... but the performances and the artistry of the puppet makers turn these beings of foam and felt to fleh and blood. Something like that is pretty amazingly artistic, if you think about it. Clearly more than kid's stuff.

Sort of like how cartoons are just drawings- but shoot them at 12-24 frames a second, they come to life.

Tweedlebug

Reaction score
I know this thread is an older one but I had to reply.

I believe that only true fans would even be reading this. If you are true to yourself than it shouldn't matter what other people think.
I find that only people who are not genuine fans, don't understand and may think you still want to be a kid.
I have a family with children of my own and I love having a juvenile side of myself. It makes life more fun.
Please don't waste time worrying what others may think of you
Enjoy Life !
:super: Jessica

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I used to get razzed in third grade for still watching Sesame Street. By age eight most of my other classmates have long since outgrown it. Ironically enough, it was considered cool to catch the Muppet Show, which debuted at the same time (1976).

So watching Kermit on CBS was cool according to my peers, but on PBS was not.

But I was never worried about what others thought of me, so it didn't matter.:smile: :big_grin: :smirk:

muppetmania1980

Reaction score
lol.... i have to be honest i still catch myself watching sesame street.....lol but its not like it was when i was younger so i dont watch that often unles i am babysitting

Redsonga

Reaction score
I believe that only true fans would even be reading this. If you are true to yourself than it shouldn't matter what other people think.
I find that only people who are not genuine fans, don't understand and may think you still want to be a kid.
I have a family with children of my own and I love having a juvenile side of myself. It makes life more fun.
Please don't waste time worrying what others may think of you
Enjoy Life !
:super: Jessica
And really, is wanting to be a kid inside really that awful in of itself? Truthfully, I think love of imagination and being creative, things that SS supports, can only be good for the more 'adult' world mindset:excited: . Like I said before, it is a place of sanity and comfort for me, things that the 'real' world seems to have less and less of IMHO :sympathy:

Jyllian

Reaction score
My husband

I think my husband thinks im pretty werid. maybe hes right. I watch old sesame street clips and collect dolls LOL:smile:

OldSchoolFan

Reaction score
All my friends, when i met them, found it strange when i told them i was a Sesame Street fan. after explaining to them how I'm a Jim Henson fan and i'm interested in puppetry, they started to understand.